Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,161

1 members and 3,160 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Scaleless snakes

So I have been seeing more and more scaleless snakes at shows. Usually corns and rats. Is this a mutation or morph. Could it be possible for the next big thing is scaleless bps? With them being scaleless do they still shed like normal? Is the housing conditions different as in the substrate so they do not get irritated?
    1.0 Albino Ball
    0.2 Het Albino Ball
    1.0 Pied Ball
    1.0 Lesser Pastel Ball
    0.1 Bumblebee Ball

Thanks
    i saw some of these at the Harve De Grace show, they blew my mind. Ive never seen anything like them.

Thanks
    Pretty sure it's a morph and ball pythons don't have any discovered equivalent. There's also quite a bit of controversy regarding scaleless snakes just because it's considered unnatural. BHB has a youtube video that shows some of the scaleless corns they produce.

1.0 '12 Cinnamon (Monty)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Scaleless snakes

Hi,

There have been scaleless ball pythons found just not bred for various unfortunate reasons.

Google "dermaball"

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

eatgoodfood (02-25-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Why settle for scaleless?

I'm sure if the community tried hard enough, a skinless ball python could be bred.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

Coleslaw007 (02-25-2013),RobNJ (02-27-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 920 Posts

BHB had a form of scaleless that are bald, they have no scales on their head.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

scaleless snakes are fine, they are healthy and shed in one piece. (BTW: genetic mutations and morphs are the same thing.)

whats important is that the scales at the belly need to stay, the snakes need these to move. But so far the breeders seem to be taking care that the scales on the belly stay intact.

for ball pythons, as others mentioned, at least one case is known, but they somehow didnt manage to breed it. One problem scaleless BPs might have is that all the heat-sensing pits they have on the front of their head might end up covered by a layer of skin.

BHB has ball pythons that lack scales on the top of the head and its genetic, they are working on it and hoping to increase the scaleless area. I think its a morph that will eventually be discovered.

without scales, all patterns become much more clean and all coloration becomes stronger. Patterns can be much finer, and the outline of the pattern, well, it is as if you increase the graphic resolution, lines that are zig-zag because of the scales become totally smooth.

But when we get this gene for BPs, two issues to look out for are already known: Heat pits, and the important scales on the belly.

aaaaand here it is, still some scales left, heat-pit issue is visible, but just look at the blockbuster optics:
    Last edited by Pythonfriend; 02-25-2013 at 03:55 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pythonfriend For This Useful Post:

nykea (02-27-2013)

BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks
    Boas and woma pythons do fine without heat pits. It's just an addition to the majority of pythons. Besides, who said they still don't detect infrared? Maybe those pits were just holes in the scales that exposed sensitive skin, just now there isn't scales to have said holes in.
    As with all animals in the pet trade, they can have mutations/deformities and still survive as uniqueness is simply a desired trait. Humanity has essentially formed its own game of survival of the fittest, except its survival of the prettiest. As long as they are fed safe foods and retain belly scales for mobility, they're okay with me. I just wonder if their eyes are ever irritated- that would suck to have irritated eyes and not be able to blink. I would also keep them slightly more humid and use softer, dust-free substrate. Although I would love to just settle for bald ball pythons.

Thanks
    what would you breed to make these? or is it unknown and thats why there havent been many produced?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

Im sorry, but i think those guys are ugly. My opnion, but to me snakes are meant to have scales...its the same thing with those bearded dragons. Its one thing to want to save the life of a snake born without scales, but a whole other thing to selectively breed for that trait. Theyre wierd and i just would never own one.

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by 4theSNAKElady; 02-25-2013 at 11:38 PM.
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 4theSNAKElady For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-25-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast