Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,061

1 members and 3,060 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Re: What could possibly go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by swansonbb View Post
    The article mentioned that the impact on birds will be minimal, as the brown tree snake has killed so many of them already.

From nbcnews.com? Is your popup blocker enabled?
    It's probably a firewall conflict here at work. I think the logic sounds kind of silly that they aren't worried about killing more of the already decimated bird population. That's like the logic that allows scientists to kill and dissect previously-thought extinct creatures to learn more about them (see the story about a spider that stopped the building of a highway, I think in Texas).

Found it: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1871414.html
    Last edited by Annarose15; 02-22-2013 at 10:54 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Annarose15 For This Useful Post:

sorraia (02-22-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Annarose15 View Post
    It's probably a firewall conflict here at work. I think the logic sounds kind of silly that they aren't worried about killing more of the already decimated bird population. That's like the logic that allows scientists to kill and dissect previously-thought extinct creatures to learn more about them (see the story about a spider that stopped the building of a highway, I think in Texas).

Found it: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1871414.html
    I don't think it's a fair comparison. From the article:

Experts say the impact on other species will be minimal, particularly since the snakes have themselves wiped out the birds that might have been most at risk.

"One concern was that crows may eat mice with the toxicant," said William Pitt, of the U.S. National Wildlife Research Center's Hawaii Field Station. "However, there are no longer wild crows on Guam."
    The brown tree snake has devastated several species to the point that the battle (for those species) is over. Perhaps the baited mice will help keep the snake from moving on to another species. And remember, Hawaii is the next big concern. Sometimes containment, despite any possible additional side effects, is the best solution on a macro perspective.
    BPs...
    2.3 Normals, 1.1 Pastels, 0.1 Spider, 1.1 100% het albinos, 1.1 albinos, 1.0 Mojave, 1.1 het pieds, 1.0 lesser, 0.1 pinstripe, 0.1 YB

Other reptilian goodness...

0.1 black motley corn, 0.1 western hognose

Wait, you have how many snakes???

4. The Following User Says Thank You to swansonbb For This Useful Post:

Annarose15 (02-22-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swansonbb View Post
    I don't think it's a fair comparison. The brown tree snake has devastated several species to the point that the battle (for those species) is over. Perhaps the baited mice will help keep the snake from moving on to another species. And remember, Hawaii is the next big concern. Sometimes containment, despite any possible additional side effects, is the best solution on a macro perspective.
    I can see your point. I would hope (and dare assume) that the scientists involved have taken a deep look at the ripple effect of these efforts. It's just a question I would absolutely ask in their shoes (and sounds like they did and weighed the risks).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Annarose15 For This Useful Post:

swansonbb (02-22-2013)

Thanks
    lol pay me I will go around and caught the snakes lol I got nothing better to do right now lol..
    Was married to 4theSNAKElady (still wish we were)
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

4.2 sugar gliders ( non breeding pets)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    I don't know enough about the situation on Guam, but thinking about it makes me cringe. However if the article is accurate in saying the species of greatest concern are already wiped out... it might just be worth it.
    Why keep a snake? Why keep any animal? Because you enjoy the animal, find something beautiful and fascinating about it, and it fits seamlessly into your lifestyle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12