Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,144

1 members and 3,143 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Having issues getting crisp snake pictures...

Hey Guys,

I've recently gotten a Canon Rebel T3i 600D camera, and i've been messing around trying to get the perfect crisp snake on a white background with the new soft box, umbrellas and flashes i bought....

I'm a little shaky with the camera, so i'm going to buy a tripod as well

I'm wondering what you guys would suggest i put my ISO Settings and other settings to in order to get a better crisp picture?

Here is what i've gotten so far,

Not only have i got the blue look to them, i've also got a pink look to them in another test set that i've done ...
    Any pointers?

Thanks

Re: Having issues getting crisp snake pictures...

Nice pictures. Hopefully I can give you some suggestions. I would definitely get a tripod if you want clearer pictures. Use a low ISO if you have the light as well as a bigger F-Stop (smaller aperture) as light will allow. As far as the blue, you can try to change the white balance on your camera settings or you can use photoshop to change it after. One method in photoshop elements is to use Enhance>Adjust Lighting>Levels> then select the white dropper and point it to the white surface. However, it might be difficult to use that technique with a white snake. You may want to take pictures of those snakes on a darker or black background.

Good luck!

-Lawrence

Thanks
    I think you need a lot more light. Also to get rid of that blue color you need to either set the white balance manually or shoot the pictures in RAW format. That way you can edit the white balance in photoshop/gimp etc.
    Rocky Mountain Balls
    Website
    Facebook

Thanks
    Up up up the lighting! It's hard to shoot something white on white. For a white on white, you may want to set the contrast a slight bit higher to emphasize those shadows.

0.0.1 Normal (Ares), 0.2 Afrian Pygmy Hedgehog (Amelia & Aly), 0.1 Pomeranian (Adrian)

Thanks
    Thanks guys, I have always been shooting in RAW Format, I tried cranking my lights up and got the pink colour instead of the blue
    I will mess around with my settings again and go from there, I think i had my ISO Set at 800, F ( 5.6 ) I tried, And i think i'm going to have to buy one of those white balance setting cards from the photography shop, I can never seem to get a good white background for setting my white balance...

Thanks
    I don't think you need those cards if you're shooting in RAW. You can edit the white balance completely with GIMP without losing any picture quality. I think your problem is 100% lighting because it looks like you only have 1 light shining from straight above the snake and that isn't nearly enough. It also washes out the middle of the pictures.
    Rocky Mountain Balls
    Website
    Facebook

Thanks
    My light boxes have two on the side, and I put it under an overhead light and use a flash with a few coffee filters wrapped around it (can you tell I'm cheap? )

0.0.1 Normal (Ares), 0.2 Afrian Pygmy Hedgehog (Amelia & Aly), 0.1 Pomeranian (Adrian)

Thanks

Re: Having issues getting crisp snake pictures...

Quote Originally Posted by CherryBlossom View Post
    Hey Guys,

I've recently gotten a Canon Rebel T3i 600D camera, and i've been messing around trying to get the perfect crisp snake on a white background with the new soft box, umbrellas and flashes i bought....

I'm a little shaky with the camera, so i'm going to buy a tripod as well

I'm wondering what you guys would suggest i put my ISO Settings and other settings to in order to get a better crisp picture?

Here is what i've gotten so far,

Not only have i got the blue look to them, i've also got a pink look to them in another test set that i've done ...
    Any pointers?
    ISO 100 lower if yours will this is the lowest ours goes. Start at F/8 and work to about F/12 to see which works better but should be right in there.........shutter speed by hand without much shake is I believe 1/60 for most people so I wouldn't go lower then this if you don't have a tripod yet. RAW photos white balance easily fixed without really editing so not a big thing to worry about anymore. Dang I just realized I must actually be listening when my wife is yapping in my ear when were out doing her photography.
    1.1 Het Pied
    0.1 Pastel
    0.1 Butter
    0.1 Black Pastel
    1.0 Pinstripe
    1.1 BCI Het Albino
    2.0 Australian Labradoodle
    1.0 Bull Weiner

Thanks

Having issues getting crisp snake pictures...

Thanks guys! I'll have to mess around with it again and see what I can do... Hopefully it turns out better! Haha without the pink or blue colour on them

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    You shot this at 1/60 of a second at F/4.6 with a flash iso 400. (metadata tells all) The issue is depth of field, you need more. If you think of F/number as a fraction it is easier to understand. I'll relate to pie as I male . 1/2 is a very large piece of pie (F/2 is a very large opening) where 1/22 of the pie hardly counts as a piece. (F/22 is a very small opening) have you ever watched some one with poor eye sight look for the glasses by squinting? The small opening creates a sharper picture. If you were glasses you can look though a bit of cardboard and see a sharp picture through it. This is depth of field.

With a flash you should be able to get much more by just controlling the output to a higher amount. If you are using TTL flash (it talks to the camera and you don't need to deal with it much) then you should be able to change the aperture (means hole) to a smaller opening. F/16 perhaps F/22 or greater. The depth of field with out getting needlessly complex is not as much when you are close focused so you need a smaller aperture than you would shooting a landscape.

White balance, your photo is quite blue. I is the background blue white? If so this is bouncing colour onto the snake. If not the balance has shifted raw is slippery when it comes to colour. Every converter shifts a bit and most fail to tag ICC profiles correctly or at all. (adobe!) So editing is done before the computer starts managing colour. depending on the profile you choose to tag the colour can shift dramatically. Monitor colour also plays in too. umm I'll stop here it is a huge discussion insanely complex and technical it is what I spend a ton of time professionally on as I calibrate colour management systems (monitor/ printer and people lol)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast