Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,892

2 members and 2,890 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

am i over thinking with my bcc?

So i know many of you have said with bcc you have to be spot on with husbandry.

well here is my delema. i am using an 4x2x15 tank from animal plastics with an 80w RHP.

ambient air is 78-80*
    humidity on hot side is 55% cool side is 65%

my hot spot is what concerns me. i cannot get it below 94 without droping my ambient below 76. is holding it at 94 bad? i have a fake log on that side of the tank and under it the temps read around 88 with a infared gun.

so is it that bad or do i have it pretty spot on?
    0.1 dumerils boa 2012 "Rocky" 0.1 Arabesque bci "freckles"
    1.0 guyana bcc 2009 "Diablo" 1.0 Kahl Albino bci "Spyro
    0.0.1 Crested Gecko

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts
    What is the hotspot temp AGAINST the floor of the enclosure underneath the substrate as measured with the temp gun?? Is it still 94? Sometimes the Accurites can be off by a degree or two. That's why temp guns are such a good tool to have.

If the temp is measured with the gun, under the substrate, at 94, I would take steps to get it down by a degree or two. If it's measured lower, then you're all set. Your ambient temps and humidity sound great.

What side is the RHP on? Over the hotspot? You may be able to adjust the hotspot without affecting the ambient temps if the RHP is more centralized. Simply turn down the UTH but leave the RHP settings alone or even step it up by a degree or two. The RHP should be enough to maintain your ambients.

What kind of t-stat are you using? From the picture in your other post, it looks like maybe a Herpstat? Do you have both the RHP and the UTH on the same t-stat? A herpstat gives you the ability to operate 2 different heat sources, but not all t-stats give you that option.
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?