Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,913

1 members and 2,912 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks
    I just ordered a 24" Colombian Boa baby from LLLReptile.com .. It will be my first boa , and I currently own a ball python. I got a 66QT Rubbermaid container with airholes and ill be buying Cypress Mulch .. Anybody have any tips for me so that I can keep him nice and healthy? .. I was told that they dont need any special lights and would do nicely with a heating pad and a hide box on both sides of the container.

Banned
    Thanks

New Colombian Boa.. My First.. Any Tips ?!?

Check out the boa caresheet in the snake care section. It has a few small errors, but it very good.

A 66 quart RM may be a bit too big for a baby Columbian. I'd start him out in a shoebox size container until he is larger and an established feeder, then move him into the larger enclosure. You don't want to stress the little guy out too much by placing him in a large enclosure at first. Congrats on your new addition and be sure to post pics.

Thanks
    Shoebox will be good for a bit, unless you have SMALL feet, and for a 24" it could still be pushin it a bit. but David is right, too big an enclosure could be a bit stressful. You need to make sure you have a good heat gradient. 86-88 on the warm side, low 80's to upper 70's on the cool side. Humidity around 50-65% on the high end when preparing to shed of course. Thats the important stuff off the top of my head.
    C.E.H. 12/14/86 ---> 12/23/03
    1.1 BCI
    0.1 Diamond x Jungle Carpet Python

eminent clothing

Thanks

Wow, lots of pythons at this store...

I would put something in the cage for him to climb on, such as a sanitized piece of driftwood or cork bark. My young bci is always climbing around on the driftwood I put in his tank. I started him out in a 10g tank but now he is in a 20-long. If you're using a rubbermaid, and it's just a baby, a shoebox sized one should work great.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Best tribute EVAR

I would put something in the cage for him to climb on, such as a sanitized piece of driftwood or cork bark.
    Now that you mentioned it, The day before I went out to the park and got a nice 3 piece wood for him to climb. I ripped off the tree hide cleaned it with bleach and put it in the oven at 225 for about 30 minutes, Sanded it down for a smooth surface so it should be a nice little addition to his enclosure
    " I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex " - Mikey -

1 Human/Girlfriend - my baby<3
    1 Colombian Red Tail Boa - Casper
    1 Ball Python - Olah