Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,938

1 members and 1,937 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

She was angry last night..

So I got home from work to find a lil white present for me under the edge of her hide.. She ate Friday so nothing out of the ordinary I couldn't clean it up right away as I had a few things to get done plus she was still in the hide...

So about 1130 last night I got around to spot cleaning for her.. I had to life the hide and move her.. Changed her water and started cleaning.. She must be ready to poop or something as she pulled ou an attitude like none other..

She has been "nippy". Here n there If I handle her for too long but man she was determined to get me while I was cleaning.. Went after my hand about 10. Times and almost launched out of her cage at my face once..

Temps and everything have been normal as of late so I'm thinking she didn't want to be disturbed since she was about to go.. I'm expecting a turd when I get home.. Sorry for the long post I was just shocked to see such a dramatic turn in her since the last time I handled her about 2 hours before eating on Friday..

It was her first ASF if that could b it maybe?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts
    It is possible that she was just uncomfortable and therefore irritable. What size ASF/prey are you feeding her, and what does she weigh?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Weighed in right before feeding at 163g and the asf was 24g she actually took a 27g mouse the week before and when I was cleaning her cage she doesnt usually budge..

Maybe she's got to the point she realizes that's her cage and she doesn't want me in it? Haha Ive had her since jan 20th..

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    I think its just a baby being defensive. I have 10 2012 animals and every once in a while they will strike at me while I'm cleaning. Next time you could just take the snake out and put it in a holding enclosure until you are done cleaning.
    ~Steffe

Thanks
    Usually I'll just pull her and toss her on my bed as its right next to her cage.. And she doesn't go exploring while I change out the bedding but I could tell she wasn't happy when I went to move her in the first place so I didn't want to push my luck.

Then when I was done an trying to put her hide back in she was going after me some more so I took a clean sock out of the droop and layed it on her to put everything back.. Worked like a charm

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    Yeah, sometimes they are just in a bad mood.

the sock works. I usually use a piece of paper or whatever else in near by to cover up a mad snake. lol
    ~Steffe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts
    I agree that she's just being a defensive baby. Either move her or cover her for future cleanings and you should be fine. Oh, and to quote I-forget-who, "Getting bitten by a baby BP is like being attacked by angry velcro"...aka you'll live if she tags you.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Ya I know it won't hurt if she gets me but to b honest when she is jumpy it makes me a little jumpy.. I'm not afraid just react quickly and I don't want to hurt her if she does get me haha

Thanks

Re: She was angry last night..

" Who ever said that snakes are just mindless eating machines....never had a BP." LOL. One of my female Normals is cage aggressive when I slide the drawer open. I pull open and VOILA....:cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r: in mode.LOL. My darling dearest gets moody at times. My other "kids" are shy, head hiding, and slink into their hides or just sit there motionless til I pick them up.
    BPs are individual as people. Cage cleaning, feeding, just waking them up can bring out a MOOD. So I just go along for the ride and be the happy little Herp Monger that I am.

1.0 Spider
    1.0 pinstripe
    1.0 lemon pastel - fully blushed out
    0.1 lemon pastel
    0.2 normals sub Adults
    0.1 Amel Corn snake (red)
    1 Oscar
    Last edited by twoyrbrat; 02-12-2013 at 08:00 PM.

Thanks

Re: She was angry last night..

Is your Normal a girl? I am nearly 40 and all the women in my life get pissy time to time. just a girl thing i think...lol! JK!

My 2012 Spider Ball Python is the same way, she's about the same age and weight as yours. One thing I have learned is that sometimes you just need to know when to walk away (life lesson to all). Snakes do 't train the way other animals do so trying to press the matter to "show them who's boss" doesn't work. Doesn't work with my wife either...

In short, I agree with the others. Just a baby snake being a baby and a snake.

Burmese Pythons: 1.0 Albino [George]

Reticulated Pythons: 1.0 White Phase [Zeus]

Ball Pythons:
    0.1 Spider [Isis] | 0.2 Normal [Athena/Pandora]

Carpet Pythons: 0.1 Jungle [Pris]

Colombian BCI: 1.0 Crimson/Pastel [Pablo] | 1.0 Hypo Salmon [Escobar] | 0.1 Pastel [Haven]

Black Rat Snakes: 0.1 Albino [Malachi]

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Willie76 For This Useful Post:

BoostedMX3 (02-12-2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast