Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,273

0 members and 3,273 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Question Four-hour car transport-- suggestions?

Magnus and I are moving back to the Philadelphia area this weekend, and I've never had to transport him such a distance before. We'll be in a temperature-moderated car, so would it be suitable to just put him in an insulated box? Hot-water bottle? I'm not exactly shipping him so much as carrying him with me, but I want to make it as stress-less as possible on him.
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    i would do it the same way you would ship a snake.
    0.1 dumerils boa 2012 "Rocky" 0.1 Arabesque bci "freckles"
    1.0 guyana bcc 2009 "Diablo" 1.0 Kahl Albino bci "Spyro
    0.0.1 Crested Gecko

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    If your like me and keep it in the sixties some heat would prob be appreciated. Handwarmer packs tied into some tube socks should do the trick. They can get hot so i would buy a few extra and see what temp you get with a few socks over them before the trip. An inverter with a tstat and uth would work too.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Re: Four-hour car transport-- suggestions?

For a 4 hour car trip, I think you'll be fine with a hot water bottle. I grew up in Delaware County - where are you from?
    BPs...
    2.3 Normals, 1.1 Pastels, 0.1 Spider, 1.1 100% het albinos, 1.1 albinos, 1.0 Mojave, 1.1 het pieds, 1.0 lesser, 0.1 pinstripe, 0.1 YB

Other reptilian goodness...

0.1 black motley corn, 0.1 western hognose

Wait, you have how many snakes???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swansonbb View Post
    For a 4 hour car trip, I think you'll be fine with a hot water bottle. I grew up in Delaware County - where are you from?
    Media, officially-- grew up in West Philly, moved out to Lansdowne and now Media. You? Love to know that there are other local herp addicts, haha.
    1.1 Ball Pythons

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
    Media, officially-- grew up in West Philly, moved out to Lansdowne and now Media. You? Love to know that there are other local herp addicts, haha.
    I grew up in Middletown. Media Elementary, Springton Lake Middle School & Penncrest for two years, before moving to NC (1994). Media's a great town. I miss it. It has changed so much since I lived there.
    BPs...
    2.3 Normals, 1.1 Pastels, 0.1 Spider, 1.1 100% het albinos, 1.1 albinos, 1.0 Mojave, 1.1 het pieds, 1.0 lesser, 0.1 pinstripe, 0.1 YB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swansonbb View Post
    I grew up in Middletown. Media Elementary, Springton Lake Middle School & Penncrest for two years, before moving to NC (1994). Media's a great town. I miss it. It has changed so much since I lived there.
    Graduated from Penncrest myself in 2010. Dare I ask where in Middletown? I live along South Pennell, before you hit Kings Mills on the way to Aston.

Also, thanks for the water bottle input, I got enthusiastic about location, haha.
    1.1 Ball Pythons

Fish:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
    Graduated from Penncrest myself in 2010. Dare I ask where in Middletown? I live along South Pennell, before you hit Kings Mills on the way to Aston.

Also, thanks for the water bottle input, I got enthusiastic about location, haha.
    Sure, I know the area. I spent many an hour getting into trouble at Granite Run Mall. I grew up mostly off of Knowlton Road/Ridley Creek. Moved off of Rose Tree Rd behind the park in middle school. Within walking distance to Springton Lake.

If I had stayed in PA, I would have graduated from Penncrest in 1996.
    BPs...

Ohio but looking to relocate grrrr new laws!
    Thanks

ive used hot water bottles and insulated lunch box many of times. you can reheat the water bottle when you stop to get gas or whatever. but i know that a good lunch box and hot water from the tap works just fine and will keep the temp with in safe zone for at least 3 hours. just make sure to pre heat the cooler before putting in the snake.
    Come see what's new with us at https://www.facebook.com/BFEPetsandSupply

Happy Herping!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts
    The hot water bottle should do the trick just fine. I transported 2 new boa acquisitions from Tinley Park in Chicago home to Midland MI, which is a 6 hour drive, and didn't use anything at all. The weather was decent for October so I didn't bother with them, but I did have a few heat packs available. But I think the hot water bottle would do fine for you - just don't let the car cool off too much and don't leave him in the car unless it is literally for just a minute or two.
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?