Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,320

2 members and 3,318 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Mites and possibly other issues... please help

Okay so I adopted my albino ball python about a month ago. After having him for about two weeks I discovered that he has mites... I have bought the mite killer from the local pet store and have begun the long process of getting rid of them. However I have never had a mite problem before and had a question. Diablo (my python) has black bits in the crease of one of his eyes, I'm assuming these are mites. My question is first off are these actually mites hiding out in his eye or do I have a more serious problem? and two if these are mites how can I safely remove them? My other question I had is about a bad shed. Before I adopted Diablo he went through a very long and terrible shed. Now, some of his scales have turned a little brown at the end. I do not believe this is scale rot... it is very minor and almost looks as if he has dirt that just refuses to come off but if you look closely you can see it is actually his scale. Could this be from his bad shed or possibly the mites?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Mites and possibly other issues... please help

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    http://m.petco.com/product/109610/Na...ile-Spray.aspx

Not seeing them I can't tell you for sure. I just got some new bloods and they came with mites. I got the spray I linked in and it worked awesome. You spray it on, clean their area with it, clean anywhere else needed and your done. I treated them once and have not seen a mite since.

The spray says not to spray directly in their face. But what I did that helped the snakes rid themselves of the dead mites and helped the spray work in hard to reach places was let them soak for about 30 minutes. I didn't spray the water, I only put them in the water without wiping them down or letting them dry. After their tubs were clean I put them back in their house and was done.

You need to remove any substrate and spray and clean the whole cage, bowls, hides, everything. Then I suggest using paper towels for a well or so. This makes seeing mites (dead or alive, I only saw dead after treating) easy on the white paper.

Also spray the floor around the cage and then vacuum.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull