Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,327

2 members and 3,325 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

BP keeps falling

Hey everyone,

Every night my ball python comes out and roams the cage going along the edges and up the sides (as if searching for a way out). She never comes out till 2am and then does this all night. My concern is that in doing so I have heard and seen her climb up the side and then fall sideways. But she continues to do it! I dont know what to do. I'm worried she will hurt herself. Is this normal behaviour. Should I do anything or try anything to make it better? Any suggestions or thoughts will be so helpful

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    A little helmet!

It should settle down over time once it figures out it can not escape. Roaming however can be caused by a few different things. If all these things are good then it will stop once it settles in.

Hunger, secure hide, proper temps, day and night cycle.

It seems that every snake I own roams when its new or I change its cage up.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Re: BP keeps falling

haha a little helmet is a great suggestion

The hunger thing I have noticed but one days where i know its not hunger i wonder.
    Is there an appropriate way to have a day and night cycle (in case i'm doing it wrong)

Thanks
    As long as it has a dark cage at night your good. Putting the cage in a high traffic area with alot on light at night could mess with it making it want to find a quite dark place to hide.
    KMG

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Megz View Post
    Hey everyone,

Every night my ball python comes out and roams the cage going along the edges and up the sides (as if searching for a way out). She never comes out till 2am and then does this all night. My concern is that in doing so I have heard and seen her climb up the side and then fall sideways. But she continues to do it! I dont know what to do. I'm worried she will hurt herself. Is this normal behaviour. Should I do anything or try anything to make it better? Any suggestions or thoughts will be so helpful

Thanks
    At 2am it's completely normal. Has nothing to do with settling in. They're nocturnal. They all come out to play at night. Some more than others. If you're worried about her getting injured, ditch the tank and get a rack. Other than that, I'm not sure what you can do. And you don't really need an artificial day/night cycle.
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

Thanks
    Yes they should come out at night but if it really goes all night i would make sure everything is right. Mine will come out for an hour our so then back to hiding. Yes all snakes are different and if your sure everything is good then yours is just an active guy. I'm sorry if I sounded like you needed to add a day and night cycle. That was not my intention. What i was trying to say is providing an actual dark and quite time for your snake at night is important. You don't want your snake sitting on a desk where you do work all night with a bright light and stereo playing is what i meant.
    KMG

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Megz (02-11-2013)

Thanks
    you really need to check temperature, humidity, and the hide you offer. Maybe the snake doesnt like the hide being offered? I would offer a second hide box, of different design, with some moist moss inside. Maybe the hide is barely tolerable to hide away during the day, but bad enough to cause the snake search for alternatives whenever it feels safe to do so.

if the snake has a hide it likes and doesnt refuse it, and temperature and humidity are right, then dont worry.

does the head of the python show any signs of injury, like scratches or a bloody nose or something?

if its a glass tank, how many of the sides of the tank are transparent and how many sides are covered with cork panels from the inside? Making all sides of the tank that you dont use for looking in intransparent will help, also the cork will make the insulation better and lower your electricity bill.

Thanks

BP keeps falling

2 in da mornin and police knockin on ma door.

2am-Slightly Stoopid.

Haha little helmet was hilarious

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtilein View Post
    you really need to check temperature, humidity, and the hide you offer. Maybe the snake doesnt like the hide being offered? I would offer a second hide box, of different design, with some moist moss inside. Maybe the hide is barely tolerable to hide away during the day, but bad enough to cause the snake search for alternatives whenever it feels safe to do so.

if the snake has a hide it likes and doesnt refuse it, and temperature and humidity are right, then dont worry.

does the head of the python show any signs of injury, like scratches or a bloody nose or something?

if its a glass tank, how many of the sides of the tank are transparent and how many sides are covered with cork panels from the inside? Making all sides of the tank that you dont use for looking in intransparent will help, also the cork will make the insulation better and lower your electricity bill.

Temp and humidity is perfect and the tank has 3 hides for her although she usually just stays in the one hide on the one side. I have never seen her in the cold hide and temps are perfect. She has never showed sign of injury i am just worried if there was anything internal.
    The cork is a great i idea. Currently the one back side is covered so ill look into covering the other 2.