Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,197

0 members and 3,197 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Exclamation Sheeding Problem!?

Hello everyone, my ball is about a foot and a half long. I have NOT had him since birth, i got him at a petstore about a month or 2 ago, so i do not know of his or even he even DID previously shed. But about a week ago, he enetered his shed cycle, and by enter i mean started trying to rub his skin against the rough rocks in his enclouser. The rocks are that of which one would put in a fish tank, that really rough fake coral type rock, which im positive is benifical for shedding.

The problem is, when he first started i could clearly see him digging against the rocks slow and rough to break the skin. After a little while he stopped, and went into his house, (a rock with 2 holes on it, - basiclly a hollowed out circle). While he was in there i moved the rocks around slightly to make it easier for him to shed on the outside of the enclosure. But since then, he has show NO intrest in finishing the shed. Its very VERY incomplete, him only getting a bit off of his first few inches, by his head. It worries me, ive never had a snake before, and by now id figured he would have been done.

Again its been a week since he started and has show NO signs of finishing. Infact, for the past week all he has done was compelety ignore the acutal ROCK part of the rocks, and insted goes on top of the coral rocks (where there's some fake vegetation), push all his weight on the fake plants, and just tries to climb up to the top of the glass - and gets to the top where the lid is and realizes he cant get out - and then he goes back down and starts it over again. After a while he either gets bored or tired and goes back into his house to curl up and rest and possibly warm up (which obviously going into his rock is normal behavior) but otherwise I have NEVER seen him behave like this in the time since i have had him. he REALLY REALLY seems to want to climb to the top and get out.

But why? Hes never done this before, and everything he needs to finish sheeding is in the enclosure, as well as a heating pad, and his nice big warm home rock. Please someone tell me this is somehow normal behavior? The only 3 things that have changed is 1.) He started Shedding 2.) I stopped handing him daily like usual since he started shedding and 3.) like i said before, once he went into his rock i moved some of the outside rocks around to make it easier for him to rub, careful not to disturb him. Over a week to shed (with what seems like absoutly no desire to finish sheding, as he easily could rub up against the same rock and finish) is VERY alarming to me. Please help. Thank you.
    Last edited by ultraboard101; 02-08-2013 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Spelling, details.

BPnet Senior Member I-KandyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,479 Posts

Sheeding Problem!?

What is your humidity at?
    And what are you using to measure the humidity?

---------
    0.1 Dog (Truffles)
    0.1 Naked Cat (Mercedes)
    1.0 Hamster (Pumpkin)
    1.1 Bumblebees (Satyana & Weedle)
    0.3 Normals (Shayla, Rita and Althea)
    0.1 100% Het Pied Ringer (Avalon)
    1.0 Pied (Monsieur Piederoff)
    1.0 Lesser 100% Het Albino poss het OG (Tinersons)
    0.1 Spider Albino (Ivy)
    0.1 Mojave Cinnamon (Morticia)
    1.1 Normal BCIs (Damon and Conga)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Natasha)
    0.0.1 Rosehair Tarantula (Charlotte)
    0.0.1 P.Metallica
    0.0.1 A.Avicularia
    0.0.2 P.Irminia
    0.0.1 L.Parahybona
    0.0.1 N.Coloratovillosus
    ?.?.? ASFs

Thanks

Re: Sheeding Problem!?

Agree humidity is Gona be important If to low u will run into problems if ur having problems keeping up humidity u can moisten moss and put in both of your snakes hides which creates a really good humidity for them and usually that will help when my snakes in shed I try to keep humidity about 75%
    accurite. Sells a great thermostat that measures humidity also only $12 at Walmart

Thanks
    Im not really sure the measurer i have is really old and can give really inaccurate readings, so i dont really use it and i have just been going by eye. I have woodchips as his terrain and i know the wood can hold water pretty well, the petshop told me if i got the wood then humidity wouldnt really be a problem but i think i might have been told a lye. Honestly its probally not at the best level or what it should be.

Thanks
    So me and my room mate just read both responces and talked it over, we are going to go to the pet store as SOON as it opens and buy whats needed to make it the proper humidity. Question -
    what is needed? Just the moss and something to measure it with?

BPnet Senior Member I-KandyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,479 Posts

Sheeding Problem!?

You need a DIGITAL hydrometer. Do not get the circular ones with arrows. They are terribly inaccurate.

---------
    0.1 Dog (Truffles)
    0.1 Naked Cat (Mercedes)
    1.0 Hamster (Pumpkin)
    1.1 Bumblebees (Satyana & Weedle)
    0.3 Normals (Shayla, Rita and Althea)
    0.1 100% Het Pied Ringer (Avalon)
    1.0 Pied (Monsieur Piederoff)
    1.0 Lesser 100% Het Albino poss het OG (Tinersons)
    0.1 Spider Albino (Ivy)
    0.1 Mojave Cinnamon (Morticia)
    1.1 Normal BCIs (Damon and Conga)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Natasha)
    0.0.1 Rosehair Tarantula (Charlotte)
    0.0.1 P.Metallica
    0.0.1 A.Avicularia
    0.0.2 P.Irminia
    0.0.1 L.Parahybona
    0.0.1 N.Coloratovillosus
    ?.?.? ASFs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,184 Posts

Sheeding Problem!?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbafett View Post
    You need a DIGITAL hydrometer. Do not get the circular ones with arrows. They are terribly inaccurate.
    I prefer analog over digital.
    It really depends on the brand you buy.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Re: Sheeding Problem!?

Are you using a tank or a tub enclosure? Tanks are a pain.
    Any heat lamps? Lamps suck out humidity like a sponge.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2