Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 689

0 members and 689 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I found the greatest Sterilite container for a ball python. Its model number 1865 its 90 quarts or 22.5 gallons and has the exact same footprint as a 20gallon long aquarium.

I decided i would incorperate a light with this new container and wanted to share with everyone how i did it.

Here is a picture of the container.

Here is the materials list.
    Sterlite storage container Model 1865.
    Galvanized steel wire mesh.
    Some 4" wire ties.
    And some wire cutters.
    A drill.
    A jigsaw or a sharp utility knife.
    1/4" drill bit if using the jigsaw.
    Permanent Sharpie Marker.

Here is a picture of the mesh i used.

The first step is to mark the area to be cut. I am using a 6" diameter light so I marked off an 8"x8" square to keep the plastic away from direct heat and to allow some air exchange.

The picture below shows how i marked the lid.
    [

The second step is to drill holes at each corner of the square you marked in the step before. The holes are so the jigsaw can start at each corner.

Here is a picture showing how i positioned the hole.

The third step is to cut the hole out with the jigsaw or you can use a sharp utility knife. I used the Jigsaw because it was much faster but becareful because the saw may jump a little when you start.

Here is a picture of the hole after being cut.

The fourth step is to use the wire cutters and cut out a square piece of the wire mesh. The Sharpie marker could be used to mark off the area to be cut. The mesh should be at least 2" larger on each side then the hole.

Here is the cut piece of mesh as I did the test fit.

Now for the fifth step you need to attach the wire mesh to the lid. I chose to use wire ties for a few reasons. They stand up very well to heat. They are dirt cheap. And if you need to replace the screen for any reason you can just clip the ties and put on a new one.
    Use the drill with a 1/4" drill bit and drill holes between the mesh about 2" apart it dont have to be exact just as long as you drill the hole where the mesh isnt covering a hole. I layed down the mesh and used the marker to mark where i wanted my holes. For the wire ties to work you need to drill a pair of holes per tie.

Here is a picture of how i attached the ties and it also shows how the holes are positioned. Again it dont have to be exact just as long as there isnt a wide enough space for you BP to get out. Sorry its a little dark but you get the picture (no pun intended).

Now the final step is to use the wire cutters and cut the excess nylon off the wire ties.

AND YOU ARE DONE.

Here is what it looks like with the ties cut.

And here is the finished product.

And here it is with the light.

Make sure you wash out the tub. I did all of my cutting and drilling with the lid on the tub to make it easy. After you rinse it out with hot water then use some rubbing alcohol and wipe down the entire tub inside and out with a napkin to break any static cling and also to clean the surface of any dust or dirt that might have been there when you bought it and also to disinfect the surface.

I will have more pics soon with it all set up my digital camera ran its batteries dead.

I hope this is useful to everyone. This site has helped me so much and I wanted to make my own contribution if you will. If you have any questions just let me know. Or if i did any thing wrong just let me know.

I got this tub at Walmart they had litteraly hundreds of them. It cost maybe 9 dollars. Total cost of materials with tub would be maybe $20. I had the mesh sitting around on my patio for a year and its still shiney.

Its holding the humidity at 68% and ambient temps are 81 Degrees.
    Thanks,
    Damien
    0.1 2001 Ball Python 1200 grams.
    1.0 1994 Ball Python 3800 Grams.

Thanks
    Dude thats an awsome and cheap design. Congrats to you man really I'd reccommend everyone whos trying to keep it sweet and cheap do follow your steps plus the thing I like about rubbermaids is they are hazy so its hard to see in and out of which takes alot of stress from the animal.
    -Andrew
    RTB(bci)- Cleo
    BP- Tiger
    Tokay Gecko- Viscious
    In the works are a female BP for breeding. Carpets pythons notice the 's' as in more than one LOL. Amazon Tree Boa. Want also to get into hots but thats a side project that'll wait for a while.

Wanna chat add me soul_of_fire_in_death@hotmail.com
    or
    you could always just PM me.

Thanks
    Excellent! For what it's worth, when I made a similar enclosure on a smaller scale for my baby crested geckos, I used a soldering iron to cut out the patch on top of the Sterilite and to make the holes for the cable ties, and I also coated the wire mesh with Rust-O-Leum for extra protection against rust with the misting and humidity it will be subject to. I also like the fact that you put the overlap of the mesh on top, which is less aesthetically pleasing but safer for the occupant(s) of the enclosure to avoid scratches.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Well the mesh is galvanized so it wont rust or corode. I was going to paint it but changed my mind because i didint know what would happen to the paint when its "cooked" by the light i think it might give off some toxic fumes. I hope this helps someone.
    Thanks,
    Damien

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I need to add some type of climbing aperatus now.
    Thanks,
    Damien

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I would suppose if you did want to paint the mesh a more decorative color you could use some high temp engine paint. That stuff stands up to like 1000 degrees.
    Thanks,
    Damien

Thanks
    Does anyone know if they make clear-sided Sterilite/RMaid containers?
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Nippy Ball Python

I think this is as clear as they get.
    Thanks,
    Damien

Thanks
    Rust-O-Leum for extra protection against rust
    hey whats a matter with a little rust?? lol
    Great design. Very well built!
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    If I ever get my own ball I am definitely using a rubbermaid. Nice work!!
    0.3 Leopard Gecko (Cricket, Princess, Kimberly) 0.1 Cat (Meechie) 1.1 kids and a hubby who has 1.0 red tail boa (Jay) 1.0 ball python (Silent Bob) and my daughter has 0.0.1 Bahama Anole (Liz) and 0.0.1 White Lined Gecko (Boots)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast