Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,993

2 members and 2,991 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Keeping up Humidity in Tubs

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to share my new way I'm going to try to keep humidity up in my tubs. I was trying to brainstorm something that holds water for a little while, but also was more than just my water bowl. I was browsing online and found these "sponge holders", I was kinda figuring that they could attach to the side of the tub and would hold wet sponges to keep humidity up.

I live in Denver so it is very dry out here and my humidity is steady with the water bowl at about 30-35%. Way to low. So I bought some sponges, sponge holders and here is what it looks like.... Let me know what you think.

Here is the set up of how I put the sponge holders. One on the cool side, one on the warm side. Also, you will notice that I put two sponges in each one, only because one sponge was really loose, and the two get wedged in there so they wont fall out.

Next is the before humidity at 29%!!!

And here is the humidity just about 25 minutes after putting them in.

I will be keeping an eye on this because it might be to many sponges, and maybe I'll get rid of one of the holders. Hopefully this was useful, and if you have any comments or concerns please let me know.

I did have one question if the sponges are safe for the snake, I dont see why they wouldn't but if you have any input that would be great.

PS - i got the idea from thinking of my cigar humidor, there is a small little distilled water holder for the humidors and it gave me the idea.

Thanks for looking!

Calder

PSS - the sponge holder were $1.98 and the 6 pack of sponges were 2.98. Pretty cheap setup, all from walmart.
    Last edited by csagen; 02-04-2013 at 09:03 PM.
    Living the dream!

0.1 11' Pastel
    1.0 12' Fire Yellowbelly

Thanks
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,184 Posts

I would think it would pretty safe as long as a snake doesn't eat it for some strange reason.
    I would also microwave them when you change them out.

I got a small baking pan and filled it with moss for my BRB. Place it half way over the heat tape, Works great

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    I would be worried about bacterial growth/mold growth, but apart from that it seems like it would work.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    Other than mold, I'd make sure to wash the sponges really well before putting them in there. Many are treated with anti fungal stuff, especially the ones that you get that are 'damp' in the package. The Ocello brand also is listed as specifically not to be used in aquariums because of the chemicals involved so though they are cheap, I would check to see if they are safe. Here's the chemicals that are used from a couple of fish forums:

The humectant (moisturizing agent), Magnesium chloride, found in both Scotch-Brite(TM) and O-Cel-O(TM) sponges and the anti-bacterial agent, Zinc pyrithione, are poisonous to fish. All packages provide warning: "Not for aquarium use."
    Ball Pythons: 1.1 Pastave (Regulus and Ceti), 0.1 Albino (Aria), 0.1 Lesser (Daenerys), 0.1 Mojave (Sangria), 1.0 Enchi Pastel (Declan), 0.1 Normal (Sydney), 1.0 Lesser pos. het Clown/Pied (Loki), 1.0 het Clown pos. het lavender albino (Liam), 0.2 het Clown (Cara and Milly)

Corn Snakes: 1.0 Blizzard (Flurry)

Other: 0.1 Bearded Dragon (Faranth), 0.1 Russian Tortoise (Henry), 1.1 Dogs (Floppy and Lucy), 2.1 Cats (Jack, Brando, and Godiva), 1 Very Understanding Husband

Thanks

Re: Keeping up Humidity in Tubs

Quote Originally Posted by Dracoluna View Post
    Other than mold, I'd make sure to wash the sponges really well before putting them in there. Many are treated with anti fungal stuff, especially the ones that you get that are 'damp' in the package. The Ocello brand also is listed as specifically not to be used in aquariums because of the chemicals involved so though they are cheap, I would check to see if they are safe. Here's the chemicals that are used from a couple of fish forums:

The humectant (moisturizing agent), Magnesium chloride, found in both Scotch-Brite(TM) and O-Cel-O(TM) sponges and the anti-bacterial agent, Zinc pyrithione, are poisonous to fish. All packages provide warning: "Not for aquarium use."
    Thank you for the input! I might just have to buy some different ones... do you think they will be safe if i wash them before hand?

Calder
    Living the dream!

0.1 11' Pastel
    1.0 12' Fire Yellowbelly

Thanks
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,184 Posts

Ever tried to wash soap out of a sponge? Seems like it never stops.

If you are worried about the chemical, look for a natural sponge.

Maybe Soak it in Chlorahexidine or F10 then microwave. Keep them dry until you are ready to use them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 3skulls For This Useful Post:

csagen (02-04-2013)

Thanks

Re: Keeping up Humidity in Tubs

Quote Originally Posted by 3skulls View Post
    Ever tried to wash soap out of a sponge? Seems like it never stops.

If you are worried about the chemical, look for a natural sponge.

Maybe Soak it in Chlorahexidine or F10 then microwave. Keep them dry until you are ready to use them.
    That sounds like the best idea. Natural sponges won't have the chemicals. Just microwave them on cleaning day and that should work.
    Ball Pythons: 1.1 Pastave (Regulus and Ceti), 0.1 Albino (Aria), 0.1 Lesser (Daenerys), 0.1 Mojave (Sangria), 1.0 Enchi Pastel (Declan), 0.1 Normal (Sydney), 1.0 Lesser pos. het Clown/Pied (Loki), 1.0 het Clown pos. het lavender albino (Liam), 0.2 het Clown (Cara and Milly)

Corn Snakes: 1.0 Blizzard (Flurry)

Other: 0.1 Bearded Dragon (Faranth), 0.1 Russian Tortoise (Henry), 1.1 Dogs (Floppy and Lucy), 2.1 Cats (Jack, Brando, and Godiva), 1 Very Understanding Husband