Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,037

1 members and 3,036 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Time to switch to frozen since she isn't eating now?

I have a female Pastel that was eating great for me and barely missing a meal and just before we moved to Northern Ontario (Timmins) she only ate one meal a week after the move. That told me she was happy with the move.

She started to become slow to feed or refuse the last month before our move in December. She was 911 grams and now weighs 868g. She did go through a normal shed and I expect the weight loss if just fluids. She has been this 870 ish for the last few weeks.

Her cage is 92 hot spot and 78 in the coolest. Humidity is 50-65%. She spends most of her time lately in the cool hide and she used to be 50/50.

I have heard they stop eating close to 1000 grams and because of winter. I am not really worried about her not eating but like most owners (especially first timers) I want her eating ASAP. Now she has only eaten live. That is what the breeder fed and I have tried several attempts at F/T. I have nothing against live feeding to be honest. I watch diligently and. I am ready to intervene if necessary. I would like the convienence of frozen for my sake but really would rather have her eating consistently.

My question is should I attemp to force a switch to F/T now while she isn't eating and starve her over or just keep her on live. Since she isn't eating for me at all now I figured now is probably the best time to switch.

Second question. She seems to yawn a lot when she first pokes her head out at feeding time. She only used to yawn after the meal. Anything weird about that or just a new thing?

Sorry I always have big posts it seems.
    Thanks for any feedback.
    Jim

2.2 Ball Pythons
    Female Pastel (Gella), Female Butter (Khaleesi), Male Spider (Igor), Male Pastel Butter (Tig)

Reptiles
    1.0 Bearded Dragon (RIP Freddie)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    It's generally best/easiest to switch them over when they're really really hungry. I have the best luck doing it in late summer, when I'm feeding them multiple prey item, and they're generally not looking too closely at the 2nd and 3rd helping.

Right now you just want her to eat. I've actually had fasting males regress and go back on live for winter. And I've let them get away with it, because I was so desperate for them to eat anything at all. I switched them back to f/t the next summer.

- - - Updated - - -

(I can switch my hatchings over in the middle of winter. But it doesn't count for hatchlings, because they're just hungry all the time the first year. It might as well be summer for them right now.)
    -Jackie Monk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to loonunit For This Useful Post:

whispersinmyhead (02-04-2013)

Thanks
    Yeah it may be best just to leave her with the usual for now. I only have the one snake so far so love isn't a big inconvenience until she starts refusing.
    Jim

2.2 Ball Pythons
    Female Pastel (Gella), Female Butter (Khaleesi), Male Spider (Igor), Male Pastel Butter (Tig)

Reptiles

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Oh yes, I can see why refusal of live is difficult with just one snake. I'd forgotten about that. Well, you can do like my friend did, and get a small rodent cage and name the little guy Ratatouille. And have a pet for a week or two...
    Last edited by loonunit; 02-04-2013 at 01:28 AM.
    -Jackie Monk

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    ps. don't worry about the yawning. Actually, what you should be doing is video taping it, if she's that predictable...
    -Jackie Monk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to loonunit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well I may get a boa next. Something that maxes at 6-8 feet. Apparently they are garbage disposals and will eat any refusals. Plus it will be nice have a different personality around. I haven't made up my mind between another BP or a Boa. That won't be for another year though.
    Jim

2.2 Ball Pythons

Reptiles

Thanks

Re: Time to switch to frozen since she isn't eating now?

Quote Originally Posted by whispersinmyhead View Post
    That won't be for another year though.
    Thats what i said then 4months later got 3 more bps. lol
    .1 Corn Snake
    .1 Spider
    .1 Normal
    1. Pastel
    1.Albino

Thanks
    Yeah one expo could easily do me in.
    Jim

2.2 Ball Pythons

Reptiles

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whispersinmyhead View Post
    Yeah one expo could easily do me in.
    Expos are hard! The first expo I went to I came home with BP #2 (a spider female) and corn snake #3 and #4 (anery motley and a normal). Since then, I've sold the normal corn snake, but acquired 2 more (hypo lavender and a miami phase). I also made the mistake of attending another expo about 2 months after the first (I had gone to the NARBC in Arlington) and I came home with my male ball python. Then...I went back and bought a 2000g girl from the breeder I got my male from. And now, I'm plotting getting either a mojave ghost male or a cinnamon ghost male at the NARBC next august.

However, with a little bit of self control, it IS possible to go to an expo and not buy anything. I've done this successfully 3 times: twice I went in to just buy feeders and came out with just feeders. Yesterday I went to Repticon Houston and came out with nothing (though there was a ghost male I almost considered taking home). Just keep telling yourself this: "do not hold the snakes for fear of bringing them home", otherwise, you'll walk out with a new snake.

But to answer your original question, just keep trying to feed live until you get the snake to eat. Sometimes, it takes them months to decide to eat for you. I keep all my "leftovers" in a 10gal tank with a lid, hide, water bottle, and food dish in my closet. I also am lucky enough that if a feeder stays there too long, I can take it back to the pet shop and get a smaller one.
    Last edited by BHReptiles; 02-04-2013 at 09:51 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BHReptiles For This Useful Post:

BPnet Veteran KatStoverReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loonunit View Post
    It's generally best/easiest to switch them over when they're really really hungry.

I've actually had fasting males regress and go back on live for winter. And I've let them get away with it, because I was so desperate for them to eat anything at all.
    This^^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast