Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,187

2 members and 3,185 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

I can't figure her out...

Most of you know I recently picked up a 2000g female that was bred to a black pastel since October 1st. She shed around New Years and looks to be going back into shed (her belly is pink). How often do adults shed?

I thought I had missed ovulation because she's been parked on the hot side ever since I got her and I've only seen her on the cold side on 4 occasions and for no longer than an hour or two. She's not eating and the last week I've caught her occasionally laying in a perfect coil. I also think she might have "tail suck" because her tail is so skinny!

If she's going back into shed in less than a month, that would make me believe this is a pre-ov shed...but her behavior screams post-ov. I've witnessed no building behavior (no lumping and no bowl wrapping) from her and she won't lock with my male (who locks with a pastel so I know it isn't him). I've been weighing her weekly and she's neithe gained nor lost any weight (not sure if that's important).

Can someone shed some light on my girl? I'm getting mixed signals and being new to breeding, I'm not sure how to deceipher them.

BPnet Senior Member CD CONSTRICTORS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 658 Posts
    Depending on how fast they are growing my adults normally shed between 1- 3 months.

I'm ignoring all these pre-ov, pre-lay shed guestimates as they can drive you crazy. My Spider is looking like she's ready to explode and shed 2 days ago- I just paired her again today. My plan is to keep pairing all my girls till I see eggs!!

Just have your incubator ready

Thanks

Re: I can't figure her out...

Quote Originally Posted by coreydelong View Post
    Depending on how fast they are growing my adults normally shed between 1- 3 months.

I'm ignoring all these pre-ov, pre-lay shed guestimates as they can drive you crazy. My Spider is looking like she's ready to explode and shed 2 days ago- I just paired her again today. My plan is to keep pairing all my girls till I see eggs!!

Just have your incubator ready
    My incubator has been ready for a few weeks now. I'm just waiting on her to drop eggs. I suppose the other possibility is she absorbed her folicles on the move from when I purchased her (I've heard of some that do that), but that doesn't explain her behavior. I usually don't count pre-ov sheds. But I thought that maybe she had her post-ov/pre-lay shed since she's showing behaviors of a female who's already ovulated. I don't like not-knowing with her. At least with the pastel female I've got, I'll know more exact dates with her. I started pairing her about 3 weeks ago.