Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,930

1 members and 2,929 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Ball Python Seizure??

A couple of weeks ago I was up pretty late and I noticed that my pastel ball python was moving around in her terrarium doing what ball pythons do
    She doesn't move that often so I decided to watch her and see what she was up to. After about a minute or so things started to get weird. She randomly looked up at her heat lamp (probably because she felt the warmth coming from it) and then all of a sudden she started thrashing her head left and right. She also had her mouth wide open as well while doing this. After about 10 seconds she finally stopped and returned back to her normal behavior.

Over the past few weeks I've been keeping an eye on her and she has not repeated this event.

My question is, could this have been a seizure? Or was she just startled by me watching her?

Before anyone says anything about respiratory infections, I'm pretty sure its not. The temps and humidity are both where they should be and she has not shown any symptoms of an RI (wheezing, constantly starring up, etc)

I was wondering if anyone has ever seen this before. Thanks

Eric

Thanks

Re: Ball Python Seizure??

I have never heard of this. I would call a herp vet and ask them for their opinion and if you need to bring the snake in. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Did you look at the other end?

I have seen this and heard some wierd sounds when they were...erm... straining shall we say.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (01-24-2013),Bogertophis (10-19-2022),DooLittle (01-24-2013),Mike41793 (01-24-2013)

Thanks

I couldn't see her other end, she was under a bush. Although had it been moving I would have seen the vines move which they didn't. And I heard no sound coming from her. In fact she's never made a sound except for the one time that I misted her. She was about to shed so I wanted to make sure that her skin was humid enough for proper shedding; but, since she made the noise, I decided to never misted her again.

Its interesting that you seen something like this though. Was the noise loud or very low, could I have not heard it?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    Was she just looking up and swaying back and forth? Thrashing makes it sound like she is twisting and throwing herself against the side of the cage.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Yeah I couldn't think of another word to describe it. It wasn't as hard as thrashing but not has soft as a slight sway back and forth. I guess you could say that she was swaying fast with her mouth wide open

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bwds7 View Post
    Yeah I couldn't think of another word to describe it. It wasn't as hard as thrashing but not has soft as a slight sway back and forth. I guess you could say that she was swaying fast with her mouth wide open
    sounds like something my snakes do after they eat. I would venture to say it is normal. Definitely not a seizure. Sometimes they will open their mouths to realign their jaw, so its not out of the ordinary.

If you haven't seen it happen again, I wouldn't really worry. It doesn't sound like she is sickly or anything.
    ~Steffe

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Yeah, if she was stetched way up, maybe she was losing balance and "wobbling"?

Also, agree with Dr. Del. When we first got snakes, one of ours scared the crap out of me with the whole open mouth noise thing. Turns out she was making #2.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

Thanks
    I wouldn't say she was realigning her jaw. I've see her do that multiple times and she doesn't sway. But no that you've mentioned it, she could've been going #2, I guess I misunderstood what Dr. Del meant by "did you check the other end". I never knew they opened their mouths and swayed when they do that.

Thanks

Was it like this?

My boy has done this 6 times.

https://www.tiktok.com/@cdpurv/video...69309442115118

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cdpurv For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-19-2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast