Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,435

0 members and 2,435 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Guy Buys a Piebald

It might sound like the start of a bad joke, but its not. I'm at the local reptile shop today and this guy comes in. He gives away a bumblebee or something like it. I am not to keen on my morphs, but it had plenty of yellow and very narrow black stripes. Either way, it was at least a couple of hundred dollar morph. Apprently it had been bit by a rat now was shy of larger prey items, and the guy didn't want to mess with it. The guy said to the clerk that the snake had not been eating recently, but to me (and the clerk after the guy had left) the snake looked fine, maybe a tiny bit on the thin side. There were a few damaged scales from rat bite, but the snake looked healthy. And then, he asks if they have any rare animals in the back, so the clerk comes forward with a piebald. The guy buys it, pays something close to $900 for it in cash. At this point, my curiousity has gotten the better of me so I ask the guy if he plans on breeding the piebald. He says something about never feed live to your snakes and that no, he has no breeding plans for the piebald. After the guy left I asked the clerk about it and their response was that maybe the snake the guy gave away has something seriously wrong with it.

But who the heck buys a $900 piebald, just because? I mean good for him if he can afford that, but I am a little surprised.

Thanks
    What did the Pastel say to the Spider? Don't you want to Bee with me? (har dee har har)

I cannot justify spending nearly 1k on an animal just because. However, people do it all the time with purebred dogs, so why not? The Bee thing is kind of weird. I would be very wary of anyone giving away an animal unless it was a really close friend or something.
    Humans: 0.1 Amanda, 1.0 Husband, 2.3 Children
    Ball Pythons: 2.2 "Classics" - Elmo (RIP), Mr. Noodle, Zoe, and Molly, 1.0 Pastel - Oscar, 1.0 Pinstripe het Hypo - Romeo, 1.0 Enchi - Eccleston 1.0 Mojave - Mr. Pillows, 1.0 Mojave Enchi - Commander Pumpkin Guns, 1.0 Black Pastel - Count Chocula 0.1 Butter het Hypo - Kerry Gold, 0.1 Spinner - Lucinda, 0.1 Spider - Luna, 0.1 Orange Ghost - Juliet 0.1 Blue Eyed Leucistic - Snow, and 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi YB 50% het Hypo 1.0 Bumblebelly - Ted Legend
    Other Snakes: 7.8 Boas, 1.1 Reticulated Pythons - Little Sister and Giovanni, 2.1 Blood Pythons - Gonzo, Snugglewumps and Narcissa, 0.1 Dumerils Boa - Blossom
    Lizards: 0.0.1 BTS - Smaug, 0.1 Bearded Dragon - Kilgharrah, 0.1 Leopard Gecko - Mavis

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Punkymom For This Useful Post:

dr del (01-19-2013),sho220 (01-20-2013),Valentine Pirate (01-19-2013)

Thanks

Re: Guy Buys a Piebald

I would be wary of it too, but from the store's perspective, a $900 sale is a $900 sale. I figured they would have knocked something off because of the trade-in, but the store didn't offer and the guy didn't ask.

The real danger is going to be if the trade-in is contagious with something. The profit from that sale can evaporate very quickly if all of the remaining animals become ill.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    How much do people pay for a set of speakers for their car? How much do some people pay for a set of sort fancy shoe?

If you have enough money, $900 for a pet that can live 30 years isn't bad at all.

Myself, $900 is a LOT of money to spend on anything.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    I think that is really shady and strange.
    1) Honestly, if he has issues feeding live, then he isn't doing it right. There are responsible methods to avoid bites.
    2) If the snake isn't eating, his set up is probably not correct.
    3) He overpaid for his Pied. The market price is about $500-700 these days.

Either way, the poor bee and pied.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    $900 is far from being unheard from, (probably better if I didn't tell you how much I spent on snakes last year ), yes it is overpriced but it is a pet store so the pricing will be higher than buying directly from a breeder.

You would be surprised the amount of people spend for a pet, and while most would not question spending $1000 for a dog they always seem shock if you tell them you pay that much or more for a snake.
    Deborah Stewart

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    $900 is pretty typical for a pet store. They have to make a profit over the original price, and the snake takes up display they could use for another animal. So they usually mark up.

EDIT: I'm not saying I would pay that much, unless maybe it was some kind of magical unicorn pied that pooped rainbows. And I give the price tags in my local pet store the stink-eye every time I walk by them. But that is about what they are selling pieds for right now.
    Last edited by loonunit; 01-19-2013 at 07:48 PM.
    -Jackie Monk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by satomi325 View Post
    I think that is really shady and strange.
    1) Honestly, if he has issues feeding live, then he isn't doing it right. There are responsible methods to avoid bites.
    2) If the snake isn't eating, his set up is probably not correct.
    3) He overpaid for his Pied. The market price is about $500-700 these days.

Either way, the poor bee and pied.
    Where can you find pieds for that price? Everywhere i look they are 1000 and up

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    1.0 Medium White Pied Ball Python (Flagley)
    Fair Play Pythons
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python ( Ziggy ) LLL Reptile
    0.1 Spider Ball Python (Isabella) Garrick DeMeyer
    1.1 Bearded Dragons ( Herman & Iska Bibbles ) LLL Reptile
    0.1 Waxy Monkey Tree Frog ( Bonnie ) LLLReptile
    0.1 Red Tail Boa BCI (Specs) Rescue

Registered User Quantum Constrictors's Avatar
    Thanks
    thats how much they are in canada right now. I bought mine for $450.
    - Joey

No snakes anymore!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cowbully View Post
    Where can you find pieds for that price? Everywhere i look they are 1000 and up

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Check the online reptile classifieds. (Fauna or Kingsnake)
    I haven't seen hatchlings go for $1000 in over a year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast