Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,843

1 members and 2,842 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anxiety?

Thanks

Anxiety?

I've been dealing with severe anxiety issues for as long as I can remember.... Anyone else with this problem have any outlets/ways of constructively dealing with this besides therapy/medication? Doubt I'll get much feedback but I guess asking never hurt anybody... or made my anxiety any worse.
    -Melody

Thanks
    You'd be surprised at how many people to through this. Especially in their twenties. I've been through it, made my first year of college hell. What caused mine was leaving all my friends and family and going to this huge school with a bunch of complete stranger, talk about overwhelming. I never took any medication but seeing a counselor helped TREMENDOUSLY. Once you can get your mindset right, you'll heal yourself. Some people say talk to a close friend, but I was against that because I didn't want my friends worrying about me. Try seeing a counselor, or if you do have a person close you can talk to, do that. Just talking about it really helps, and helps you understand the root cause of your anxiety. And trust me, it does get better.
    1.0 firefly ball python
    1.0 100% Pastel het clown ball python
    1.0 Enchi ball python
    1.0 Super Pastel 100% het pied (Richard)
    0.1 Butter 100% het ghost
    0.1 Pastel 100% het pied (Keira)
    0.1 Butter 50% het Ghost Ball Python (Penny)
    0.1 100% het Ghost
    0.1 Normal Ball Python (Irwin)
    0.1 Mojave Ball Python (Eve)
    0.1 Black Bee Ball Python (Charolette)
    0.1 Pintripe (Olivia)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Peaches)
    1.0 Bearded Dragon (Dude)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Trackstrong83 For This Useful Post:

Melody (09-01-2013)

Thanks
    Been suffering with severe anxiety problems on and off since I was 15 or so. I wouldn't totally discount medication. Meds are never a band-aid that 'fixes' all of your problems but for some people it provides enough stability day to day so that you're healthy enough to develop your own coping mechanisms. I'm not on them right now but I always do better when I am. My problems are still there but meds help keep it from getting totally out of control and to cope with panic attacks. They're definitely not for everybody but don't let pride or shame get in the way of trying.
    1.0 Het Albino Ball Python (Oberon)
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python (Whiskeyjack)
    0.1 Albino Ball Python (Titania)
    1.0 Orange Albino Hognose (Randy)
    1.0 Het Albino Hognose (Sandy)
    0.1 Mex Mex Kingsnake (Ember)
    1.0 Thayeri Kingsnake (Mello Yello)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xaila For This Useful Post:

Anya (09-07-2013),Melody (09-01-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts
    I'm sort of anti-anxiety but I do think finding the root, really really finding it, not the tendrils that can fool you, but the main tap root then deciding what you want to do with it is a good goal. I always want to know the whys when I feel or do something. I learned looooong ago to be really honest with myself, accept responsibility, then just keep on keeping on. Hit that wall and maneuver around it, over it, under it, through it, whatever you need to in order to continue in a forward direction. Accept that pain and doubt and just plain being wrong are part of being alive. Then don't dwell on those things, think positive. It really does help.

This may not be of much help because I really don't have much experience with being anxious, but I think the above is good for anyone. Same stuff I have told myself and my offspring for a goodly bit of time.

My guess is that you're, as are most, stronger than you think or give yourself credit for. Fake it until you make it also works in this situation.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

JLC (08-31-2013)

BPnet Senior Member Mephibosheth1's Avatar
    Thanks
    I doubt my feelings of anxiety are anything compared to "true" anxiety, but here's what works for me

I find that having some kind of religious/spiritual inclination helps me. I always find myself less stressed after our worship services than before...

And I have supportive parents who help quell my anxiety over stuff. Even if I'm still worried/fret over whatever it is, at least I know I have people behind me to help me get through things.

I don't want to start a religious debate or anything, so PM me any questions or stuff
    CRYSTAL MEPH

1.0 100% Het for Carmel Normal–Mycroft (P. regius)
    1.2 Manx, Scottish Fold, Tabby–Mocha, Precious, Kitty-Beau (F. domesticus)
    30.90 Breeder Mice (M. musculus)

"It will all be okay in the end. If it's not okay, its not the end"
    –John Lennon//oo\\

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mephibosheth1 For This Useful Post:

Melody (09-01-2013)

Thanks

Re: Anxiety?

I've dealt with this for a long time as well, since I was a small kid. Huge panic attacks and hyperventilating...I can say that I went through a lottt of therapists before I found the right one who worked very well with me. I was with him for 2.5 years ever single week.

Finding the right person is extremely hard. Once you do, though, it makes a world of difference. It was like night and day for me.

I wish you the best in your search. It's a tough issue to go through.
    1.0 LB Hypo het. Trans Bearded Dragon-Dega
    0.1 Normal Ball Python-Semira
    1.0 Pied Ball Python-Sabien
    En route: 0.1 Spotnose 100% het. Pied

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kat_black181 For This Useful Post:

Melody (09-01-2013)

Thanks

Sorry for the double post, but also what helped me is finding a hobby I could bury myself in. For me, it's painting and drawing. That always helps me clear my head and relax.
    1.0 LB Hypo het. Trans Bearded Dragon-Dega
    0.1 Normal Ball Python-Semira
    1.0 Pied Ball Python-Sabien
    En route: 0.1 Spotnose 100% het. Pied

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kat_black181 For This Useful Post:

Melody (09-01-2013)

Thanks
    Me, definitely! I suffer from social anxiety and to some extent general anxiety. I think my anxiety is part of the reason why I am also obsessive (maybe a bit of OCD too). I have no coping skills LOL, so if you come up with something, do let me know I have a tendency to avoid things that make me anxious, but that's not a solution, and because of it I have only a few very close friends, but don't make new friends or acquaintance easily. It doesn't help that I'm a stay at home mom, and not working with people. So I guess that's my only advice, if you have social anxiety, don't become a SAHM, because work forces you into social situations, and you will avoid them when you can. In some cases, facing your fears work, like, at one point in my teens I was afraid of driving (not so much afraid while on the road, but afraid of the prospect of it), but now it's not an issue at all because I've done it so much...I'm still an anxious passenger though, I don't think that will ever change LOL.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shera For This Useful Post:

Anya (09-07-2013),Melody (09-01-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My Son's been starting to study DBT, it's too early yet to see much progress but it looks promising.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialect...havior_therapy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xaila View Post
    I wouldn't totally discount medication. Meds are never a band-aid that 'fixes' all of your problems but for some people it provides enough stability day to day so that you're healthy enough to develop your own coping mechanisms. I'm not on them right now but I always do better when I am. My problems are still there but meds help keep it from getting totally out of control and to cope with panic attacks. They're definitely not for everybody but don't let pride or shame get in the way of trying.
    This. This right here.

I have had a moderate to severe social/situational/general anxiety disorder since I was 13. While 'finding the root' of anxiety is all well and good, many times that root is simply a chemical imbalance that needs corrected, and no amount of soul-searching, prayer, or talk therapy will touch it. Not to say that those things can't help- or that your anxiety IS chemical...but it'll take trial and error and learning about your mind and body to make the right decisions for you.

I have been virtually non-functional when unmedicated. Do I like being dependent on a pill everyday to function? Of course not. But If I was diabetic, or had a heart condition, or a thyroid condition...you bet your bottom I would take my medicine! It's taken a long time, but attitudes are shifting for the better toward mental health. Having mental problems isn't the shameful stigma it was 10+ years ago. Chemical imbalances in the brain are every bit as real and treatable as physical health problems.

Keep your chin up.
    Last edited by Anya; 09-07-2013 at 01:13 AM.
    0.1.0 Pastel Ball Python 'Marcelene'
    1.0.0 Hypo Brooks Kingsnake, 'Limonchello'
    0.0.1 Western Ratsnake 'Sticker'

?.?.? Dubia Colony.
    ?.?.? Madagascar Hissing Colony
    2.0.0 Ferrets 'Ferris' & 'Steven'
    3 gallon planted tank
    1.0.0 Avicularia Avicularia 'Peter'
    0.0.1 Brachypelma vagans 'Little Dude'
    0.0.1 Pterinochilus murinus 'Mr.Bitey'

0.1.0 Catahoula Pitbull Mix ' Imogen'

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anya For This Useful Post:

MarkS (09-07-2013),Mephibosheth1 (09-07-2013),Pyrate81 (09-07-2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast