Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,610

2 members and 2,608 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My next Snake?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I have just had this floating around in my head for a while and just thought I would think out loud so to speak. My next snake won't be for a while due to financial constraints but it's nice to think about it because sooner or later one of these guys is coming home.

My first choice is a BCI they sound exactly like what I want good feeder, good with kids, and don't get super huge. A while back one of the places I get dinner for my boys at had one. I say had because I found out it's a BCC which I cannot do. To double check to make sure I was not crazy I even took the Mrs. with me and we both looked at the markings on his back (can't remember what their called) it was in fact a BCC. So to get one I will have to go thru a breeder which is not a problem if I could find any with just plain ol BCI's.

My second choice is a Blood Python I had not ever heard of them till I saw them on here. I love their colorings and from the info I have read they don't get to huge. The only drawbacks to me would be that I have read sometimes they are goofball eaters like Ball Pythons and I already have one picky eater LOL. And that they like to burrow which Nanners already drives me crazy with LOL. IF I am misinformed on these points please correct me like I said I love these animals and think they are beautiful.

My third choice is at another local place where on occasion I get food for the boys and the Mrs. gets crickets for Cricket and it's where I got Nanners as well. They have a beautiful Yellow Anaconda still smaller than Bob he is in a tank with a Green Anaconda but make no mistake I would never dream of getting a Green. I have done some research on these guys and I found out that males only get to be 6-8 foot. Now that is at the very limits of my size requirements and guess what this one is a male.

I have also read that Yellows while much less aggressive than Greens can still be booger heads and bite ya. Which really is not a fantastic thought of a 7 foot anaconda taking a swipe at me. But like I said he is still pretty much a baby at this point and I feel that with enough TLC he could would be a great addition to the family.

Now I must admit that a small part (10%) of the reason I love this guy so much is because well he's an Anaconda. There is a "cool" factor with this guy but it's not like he is a hot or something. And that certainly does not mean that once he got big and not as "cool" I wouldn't want him any more
    I love all my animals and I would never get rid of one just because it's not a cool thing to have anymore.

So will it be contestant number 1 contestant number 2 or contestant number 3 .

This is nothing that is happening anytime real soon but like I said I just wanted to think out loud and get some input. Thanks for any idea's and suggestions you want to throw out.
    Tiger is Here
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/

1 Red Tail Boa - Jay
    1 Ball Python - Silent Bob
    1 Coastal Carpet Python - Berber
    1 Spoiled princess feline - Meechie
    2 Stinky Rotten Kids
    1 Beautiful wife
    Rest in Peace Amy & Nanners

I would suggest a BCI......your other 2 choices are not as good IMO. Bloods can be tricky to keep and are a large step-up from a Ball. And they can get huge.....Reds can get up to 10 feet and weigh as much as a 16 foot Burm. An Anaconda, Green or Yellow would be a horrible choice.....the size you listed for males is very generous......they can get up to 10 feet as well. They are also unpredictable.....you can not "tame down" a 'Conda like you can other snakes. I have heard them described as "spastic chainsaw snakes." They also have a tendency to musk...ALOT....and from I've heard, Anaconda musk is not something to look forward to.

Are you only looking into boids? There are tons of colubrid species out there that are great snakes.......Corns, Kings, African House Snakes, Hognoses, etc.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    The only reason I am not looking into any more Colubrids right now is the burrowing the musking and pooping every 5 minutes LOL. I swear Nanners is just like a bird. If you just finish washing your car a bird will crap on it and as soon as I finish cleaning his cage he poops :evil:.

Drives me nuts but I still love the little guy.
    Tiger is Here

1 Red Tail Boa - Jay
    2 Stinky Rotten Kids
    1 Beautiful wife

You know not all colubrids are burrowers and muskers, right?

Thanks
    HAHAHA I know exactly what you mean - ours together constitute quite a p00papalooza marathon!

I would also be pretty wary of the Anaconda route - if for no other (of the very valid reasons listed) reason than the full-scale commitment you'd need on housing (given their aquatic proclivities). Granted all this is "what I've heards" and generally if it comes from me an exception will strut in on my heels to discredit me - but I do like larger snakes with "personalities" . . . even if I HAVE been told I can't get a scrub lol.

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Hopefully Kara will be able to come and give some first-hand advice on the Anacondas.....but I just think that would not be the best choice.

Thanks
    You still might want to look into the African house snakes. I've been thinking about them since before Jonah's recent minor obsession. They seem very cool and pretty handleable, without difficult husbandry. And of course, there are a number of good locale choices among BCIs.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Ditto what Marla said.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Ok now I do feel like a dummy I was not aware that
    #1 All Colubrids don't musk
    #2 that Anaconda's musked

I also would like a thicker snake like Bob, Nanners is always gonna be a little skinny squirmy butt

I think the next time I'm in there I am gonna ask to hold the yellow just to see. From what you guys are telling me I am gonna have to get all Steve O on him "yoor a nauughty boy yoor alright mate yoour alright"

More than likely it will end up being a BCI but where can I find a breeder for plain ol BCI's? I looked on NERD but didn't see anything and most of the breeders sites I go to have all "fancy" snakes.
    Tiger is Here

1 Red Tail Boa - Jay
    2 Stinky Rotten Kids
    1 Beautiful wife

There are BCI breeders all over. They're very common snakes so finding one shouldn't be hard. Check out the Kingsake.com classifieds or contact your local herp society to see if there are any local breeders.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast