Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,409

2 members and 3,407 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    BPnet Senior Member CD CONSTRICTORS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 658 Posts

A friendly reminder....

I should also post this in the shipping thread, but though it would be good with a picture in a "high traffic" topic....

I have now received 5-6 shipment dropped to my local FedEx hub "Hold for Delivery" style. Yesterday's shipment from Mike Wilbanks was the first time the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission had opened a package. Thankfully, Mike obviously runs a top notch outfit and all the paperwork and packaging was in order and the package was delivered without a hitch. I did video opening the package in the event there was an issue with one of the Clown's, but thankfully everything was fine.

Please take the time to package and label your shipment properly, because big brother IS watching.....

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CD CONSTRICTORS For This Useful Post:

angllady2 (01-12-2013),BFE Pets (01-10-2013),BHReptiles (06-13-2013),bx718 (01-10-2013),Don (01-10-2013),DooLittle (01-10-2013),sorraia (01-20-2013),Valentine Pirate (01-10-2013)

Thanks
    Yikes, good to know and I'm glad that they didn't bring any harm to your animals, intentional or otherwise.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Bruce
    Top Shelf Herps
    1.0 Pastel (Gypsos)
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Pinstripe (B-Dub)
    1.0 Sable het Hypo (Flat Top)
    1.0 Lesser Platinum (Sean2)
    1.1 Lemonback (Einstein.Elsa)
    0.1 Pied (unnamed)
    0.1 Pinstripe het Hypo (Chopper)
    0.1 het VPI Axanthic (Vanilla)
    0.1 Spider 50% het VPI Axanthic (Serine)
    0.1 Hypo (Bella)
    0.1 het Hypo (Hooker)
    0.1 Cinnamon (Nutmeg)
    0.1 Normal (Jane)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts
    Wow.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow that is crazy! I haven't seen that before, but I always wondered if they would do something to let you know they opened it. Definitely a good reminder to ship everything according to federal and state laws!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts
    Thank you very much for taking the time to post this. With all the negative publicity we as herpers get, the last thing we need is for someone to open a package that was improperly shipped and have them decide it's now illegal to ship any and all reptiles by any means.

This should serve well as a reminder to those thinking about cutting corners and shipping illegally or just sub-standardly. Don't count on no one finding out you aren't following the rules.

Gale
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to angllady2 For This Useful Post:

CD CONSTRICTORS (01-12-2013),Valentine Pirate (01-12-2013)

Thanks

Re: A friendly reminder....

Quote Originally Posted by angllady2 View Post
    Thank you very much for taking the time to post this. With all the negative publicity we as herpers get, the last thing we need is for someone to open a package that was improperly shipped and have them decide it's now illegal to ship any and all reptiles by any means.

This should serve well as a reminder to those thinking about cutting corners and shipping illegally or just sub-standardly. Don't count on no one finding out you aren't following the rules.

Gale
    That's exactly the reason I posted this.

My first shipment out using SYR, the Fedex person looked at me kinda crazy at the local depot. I had all the printouts from SYR with me to include in the package. I guess they had never shipped one out before, but I had received a few shipments there already.

Please take the time to ship properly. SYR has great instructions and live phone support if you need it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CD CONSTRICTORS For This Useful Post:

Valentine Pirate (01-12-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts
    Since you are on the topic of adhering to federal, state and local laws, was there a copy of the shipper's Florida Captive Wildlife Transport/Import License? Technically, per the license instructions, that is required when shipping animals into Florida from another state. See link below:
    http://myfwc.com/license/captive-wil...nsport-import/

It has also been my understanding that the shipper is required to have a Florida License to Sell or Exhibit Class III Wildlife. A copy should be in the box.

Obviously these regulations will not be enforced by Federal Wildlife agents, but If Florida agents inspect, and do indeed know there own regulations, the absence of those documents may hold up your shipment.
    Last edited by muddoc; 01-18-2013 at 11:57 AM.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks
    It's my understanding that most reptiles and amphibians that are sold in the hobby are not considered class 1,2 or 3 as they are specifically outlined as not needing a permit. Class 3 animals are any animal that is not specified as not needing a permit in 68A-6.0022, at least that's how I read it.

68A-6.0022 Possession of Class I, II, or III Wildlife in Captivity: Permit Requirements.
    (1) Permits to possess wildlife in captivity, issued pursuant to Section 379.3761 or 379.3762, F.S., and the provisions of this chapter, shall authorize the keeping of captive wildlife, of the type and number specified in applications approved by the Commission, in accordance with law and Commission rules. Captive wildlife maintained under permit shall, unless otherwise authorized, be maintained only at the facility specified in the permit application and approved by the Commission.
    (2) No permit shall be required to possess the following wildlife for personal use, unless possession of a species is otherwise regulated by other rules of the Commission:
    (a) Reptiles or amphibians (nonvenomous, unprotected)
    (b) Gerbils, hedgehogs
    (c) Honey possums, sugar gliders
    (d) Shell parakeets
    (e) Rats and mice
    (f) Canaries
    (g) Moles; shrews
    (h) Rabbits
    (i) Squirrels; chipmunks
    (j) Ferrets (domestic; European)
    (k) Lovebirds
    (l) Guinea pigs
    (m) Cockatiels
    (n) Hamsters
    (o) Parrots
    (p) Finches
    (q) Myna birds
    (r) Toucans
    (s) Doves; ringed, ruddy, and diamond
    (t) Button quail
    (u) Prairie dogs
    (v) Chinchillas
    (3) No permit shall be required for the sale of poultry, hamsters, guinea pigs, domestic rats and mice, gerbils, or chameleons (Anolis).
    I would like to assume that someone in the industry as reputable as Mike Wilbanks who does this for a living would be well aware of any state and federal laws regarding the reptiles he sells, but no one's perfect.

Along the same lines and just as important is making sure that the reptiles that are being shipped are not illegal, can you imagine if they opened a shipment and it was a Burm. Big Bro is definitly peeking his head in every now and then.

Thanks
    In FL you need a Class 3 licence to sell bp's if you want to be 100% legit. I have two Amazons that I included on my permit as well. Mike comes to the Daytona Expo, so I'm sure he is on top of the licensing requirements.

There are FWC agents patrolling craigslist down here as a full time job.... they are answering ad's and confiscating snakes if you do not have a Class 3 license to sell. My local shop has sold 75 gallon tanks to FWC officers that they hold confiscated snakes in.

I was just reading over the requirements, and I can "adopt" confiscated bp's down here. I may have to check that out..... maybe someone lost a nice morph to the FWC from a craigslist ad!!

They are taking things very seriously down here.