Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,331

3 members and 3,328 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    How are you measuring the hot spot directly above your UTH? This needs to be done either either a probed thermometer or a IR gun.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Het Snow BCI
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python

Thanks
    I know I will get yelled at for this but "So, thanks to the misguided teachings of a Pet-notso-Smart employee, I bought a snake and only brought home a heat lamp for his tank." Since when is it a chain pet stores responsibility to ensure you did the proper research that you should have done before buying a pet?

Thanks
    Also just because its a 300$ thermometer doesnt mean its calculating correctly. You may have proper air temps but without a probe you won't be able to Accurately measure the surface temp of the glass. You have to be able to measure that temp. Uths have to be hooked up to a thermostat. No exceptions! Just because your air temp is correct. Your surface temp could be way way to hot.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    My Collection
    Snakes
    1.0 Mojave (Twizzler)
    0.1 Dumerils (Cerin)
    1.0 Hypo BCI (Vero)

1.1 Dogs (Krackers & Ripley)

Tarantulas & Other Arachnids
    0.2 G. rosea, 0.0.1 P. murinus, 0.0.1 B. sabulosum, 0.0.1 L. difficilis, 0.0.1 A. geniculata
    0.0.1 A. versicolor, 0.0.1 L. parahybana, 0.0.1 Hapalopus sp columbia, 0.0.1 B. vagans
    0.0.1 Asian Forest Scorpion

Lizards
    1.0 Tokay Gecko

BPnet Senior Member I-KandyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PorcelainxDoll View Post
    Also just because its a 300$ thermometer doesnt mean its calculating correctly. You may have proper air temps but without a probe you won't be able to Accurately measure the surface temp of the glass. You have to be able to measure that temp. Uths have to be hooked up to a thermostat. No exceptions! Just because your air temp is correct. Your surface temp could be way way to hot.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    x2!!!!

---------
    0.1 Dog (Truffles)
    0.1 Naked Cat (Mercedes)
    1.0 Hamster (Pumpkin)
    1.1 Bumblebees (Satyana & Weedle)
    0.3 Normals (Shayla, Rita and Althea)
    0.1 100% Het Pied Ringer (Avalon)
    1.0 Pied (Monsieur Piederoff)
    1.0 Lesser 100% Het Albino poss het OG (Tinersons)
    0.1 Spider Albino (Ivy)
    0.1 Mojave Cinnamon (Morticia)
    1.1 Normal BCIs (Damon and Conga)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Natasha)
    0.0.1 Rosehair Tarantula (Charlotte)
    0.0.1 P.Metallica
    0.0.1 A.Avicularia
    0.0.2 P.Irminia
    0.0.1 L.Parahybona
    0.0.1 N.Coloratovillosus
    ?.?.? ASFs

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Re: New to reptile care. please help asap.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzmcd View Post
    Well, to those who say i need a better themometer, this themometer doesn't use a probe, but its digital and cost nearly 300 dollars. Its an advanced tool for weather conditions a friend of mine has, and its very accurate. My temps right now with the themometer are 79.7 and 89.7 WITH the UTH on,no thermostat. the heating pad itself isn't giving off very much heat. I don't have the tank insulated, but i do have the top covered with a towel with a cut-out for the light. The snake seems fine right now, will these temps do okay?
    What you have is probably measuring the air temps. You need something to measure the bottom surface, since the UTH will only affect the air temp by a couple degrees. Nothing substantial.

A thermostat really is a must. A lot of people come here with burned snakes due to unregulated UTHs that didn't seem that hot to the touch. When your snake lays on top of a +100º for an extended period of time, they will start to burn. A thermostat ensures that your heat source only heats up to the temp you want, ensuring the safety of your animal. If you want to live life on the edge, so be it. But I would never put any of my animals in with an unregulated heat source.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Re: New to reptile care. please help asap.

Quote Originally Posted by KING JAMES View Post
    I know I will get yelled at for this but "So, thanks to the misguided teachings of a Pet-notso-Smart employee, I bought a snake and only brought home a heat lamp for his tank." Since when is it a chain pet stores responsibility to ensure you did the proper research that you should have done before buying a pet?
    Not yelling But just pointing out that it doesn't occur to a lot of people that they should do research. Our "unregulated" community seems more shady to the general public than the brick and mortar stores. Being the big companies that they are that have great ads about happy animals, (most) people assume that the store employees know what they're talking about. No, it's not the chain store's responsibility, but they put on a facade that they have any information you need on that animal's care.

I just don't think it does a lot to help to condemn people who have no other herp exposure other than Petco/Petsmart. It doesn't make it ok to neglect or improperly care for the reptiles, but (especially when they're reaching out for information and help) I think it does more to try and educate and reach out than go "How could you be so stupid? Didn't you know they give you incorrect information? Why didn't you question what they told you about caring for the pet they sold you?"

People who actively ignore good advice are a whole 'nother breed, and I have my own difficulties dealing with them in a civil manner. However I think it's a great thing when people are introduced to good husbandry techniques and actively start searching for more. I think starting to research snakes is what started my obsessive researching habits on everything (I research house plants now before I buy them )

Erica Evans
    Scourge of the San Juan Islands
    High Tide Exotics
    When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water.

"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Valentine Pirate For This Useful Post:

martin82531 (01-12-2013)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12