Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,996

0 members and 2,996 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts
    I'll have to go try and find it, but something about the red dye that's in dog food I believe is why they say its not good. Is it possible that your snakes are eating better on live? As in more regularly? If they are consistently eating, that will help them to put weight on.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    On craigslist you can buy a mini fridge for 50 bucks tops. If you turn it all the way cool it usually freezes throughout.

$7.00 - $1.50 = $5.50 more per feeding per animal

Your sig says you have 4 ball pythons. 5.50 x 4 is 22 bucks per feeding. You could probably find a fridge for that much and your snakes would be safe from getting mauled. Every subsequent feeding you can think of it as saving/earning over 20 dollars. I'm confused why you haven't done that math yourself yet, combined the numbers with the knowledge of the dangers of feeding live, and made the obvious choice.

Are you THAT limited on space?
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

Thanks
    You can get a small chest freezer for around $150 or so new. Takes very little space or electricity to run and will hold a lot of feeders. Had to do this at my house due to the wife having issues with frozen rodents in the people food freezer.
    Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Thanks

Re: Live vs. Frozen Food.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLang View Post
    On craigslist you can buy a mini fridge for 50 bucks tops. If you turn it all the way cool it usually freezes throughout.

$7.00 - $1.50 = $5.50 more per feeding per animal

Your sig says you have 4 ball pythons. 5.50 x 4 is 22 bucks per feeding. You could probably find a fridge for that much and your snakes would be safe from getting mauled. Every subsequent feeding you can think of it as saving/earning over 20 dollars. I'm confused why you haven't done that math yourself yet, combined the numbers with the knowledge of the dangers of feeding live, and made the obvious choice.

Are you THAT limited on space?
    Right now, I'm currently spending about $20 a week on feeders. It's not that I can't afford this, because I can (otherwise I would not own 10 snakes), but it's because I do not have room in my small freezer that I have in my bedroom for frozen feeders.

My living arrangements are pretty much non-negociable. I live with people who dislike my snakes greatly. If I was to be allowed to keep my snakes, all of my snakes and their supplies, feeders, etc. had to be kept inside my bedroom and out of any "public" area. Because I'm also a college student, my room is filled with things I need for school as well as your traditional bedroom furniture. My room is not that big and there is no additional wall space to have another freezer. Already, all my free space is taken up by racks, one minifridge/freezer and an incubator.

I have done the math and ideally, I would much rather breed my own food and gas them before feeding than purchase my rodents online or from a feed store. This way I can monitor my rodent's diet and I know exactly what my snakes are eating. I also don't have to worry about them being live when I feed them (however...I do have one corn snake and one ball python that won't eat frozen or pre-killed). I also don't condone bashing the rats over the head, so I won't ask the feed store to kill them for me (I personally find it cruel). However, even though I might want to do this, it does not meal it's a practical option for me at the moment.

I will not have my own house for at least another 18 months so I have to make do with what I have. And what I have is no more space for freezers or rodent racks.

Now, this thread has deviated from it's original intent so there's really no need to continue. I simply noticed that my ball pythons grow more when eating live food. I keep very detailed records of my BPs weights and the weights of their prey items and I have run my own mini experiment. It's just a correlation I noticed and I only wanted to know if other people observed the same.
    Last edited by BHReptiles; 01-10-2013 at 09:14 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12