Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,395

5 members and 3,390 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation Advice Needed for PSD Possible Breeds!

I'm in need of some brains to pick here. I have been advised by many, including a psychologist friend, that I need a PSD (Psychological Service Dog). To explain, in brief: My social anxiety has been getting increasingly worse this past year, and is now so bad I'm nearly homebound. This is because my biggest trigger is strangers, especially males, getting too physically close to me, and as I cannot drive I must take buses to get anywhere. As I cannot always have a trusted person along with me whenever I go out, a service dog is my best option.

Here's the problem (or rather, several) - I live in a 748 sq.ft. 1 bedroom apartment with 2 snakes, a BTS, a bunny, and my partner. Said beloved partner is not only allergic to dust/dander, but he is also very uncomfortable with dogs. For the work I need done, I really can't have a breed under 30lbs. Also, although any dog I get will have daily activity for training and walks, due to space restrictions and many joint and muscle issues I cannot have a really high energy breed like a retriever or lab.
    Ideally, I want an easy to train, calm and friendly breed that will have the energy to work when we're out, but will be content to relax and chill out when at home.
    Due to money and time restrictions among other factors, I would be training this dog myself, hopefully with the help of some charitable trainers.

So, I'd like some advice from all you dog folks. Knowing the above restrictions, what breed(s) do you recommend I look into? Right now, Collie is at the top of my list...but there aren't many rescues up here for them. In order, my desired traits are:
    Trainability / Intelligence
    Low key / Gentle (no 'run up and jump on you over and over')
    Can tolerate an apartment
    Low dander and saliva (I don't think the hair alone sets him off)

And I don't mind discussing my disabilities with others, so if you need more information to help me out please ask. I just want this to work out best for both of us.
    Thanks!
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks
    Hello. I am no professional, but I have been a Veterinary Technician for 14yrs, so I have had alot of experience with a variety of breeds. We were also the local vet for the local service dog organization.

I was thinking of all your noted specifications. Now, I know you said you can't have a high energy dog. BUT.....you stated you are seeking a highly intelligent breed, that will be able to do his job well. Labrador is the first breed I thought of. They can be high energy as young dogs, but, you will have to work closely and do some intensive training with whatever dog you choose, so I wouldn't rules out a Lab. They are VERY good at service work, and when trained to do so, are very gentle. Dander will probably be an issue with any breed, but more so with medium to long hair dogs. Your idea of a Collie was within reason, disposition wise, however, believe me, those coats are notorious for shedding tumbleweeds, lol, as are German Shepherds as well. All dogs shed, just some more than others. Think of it that way. Collies (at least the ones I've met) are generally very calm, and gentle dogs. It's just the hair issue. Then again, there's nothing wrong with taking a long coated dog to the groomer to be shaved down periodically. Golden Retrievers are generally gentle intelligent dogs as well. Are you open to a mixed breed? Maybe you could reach out to local rescues that may have a young adult, that already has a calm disposition that you could work with? Hopefully my little bit of insight has helped somewhat. If there's any other questions you may have I wouldn't mind trying to answer them. I wish you the best of luck in your search!
    THE place for Blood/Short-Tail Enthusiasts

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DNACurtusK For This Useful Post:

Argentra (01-09-2013)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    how about a poodle. not the little toy ones i'm talking the big standard ones. they are around 40-50 lbs. and have hair not fur so no dander. it would mean regular trips to the groomer for haircuts but would be better for allergies. or even a labradoodle same thing has the poodle hair but more of a heavier build from the labrador.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dillan2020 For This Useful Post:

Argentra (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    I'm on my phone, so I'll come back and reply more later. I help train therapy dogs for kids on the autism spectrum. I would contact The Delta Society/Pet Partners for help. Also, more info on what you'd like to get out of the service dog would help.
    *Micah*
    My blog

7. The Following User Says Thank You to spygirl For This Useful Post:

Argentra (01-09-2013)

Thanks

Re: Advice Needed for PSD Possible Breeds!

If you're looking for a specific breed, like you said collies are a great option. I have what I consider a PSD dog that I adopted online thats collie mix, that being said I would check your local craigslist, and petfinder to see if any collies or collie mixes are available close to you. If you can't find the specific breed you're looking for, you could call/visit local shelters to see if any of the dogs match what you are looking for personality/size wise.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to katiekat For This Useful Post:

Argentra (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts
    Skip thinking about breeds and look for individuals. Like people, all dogs are unique. Breeds can have tendencies towards certain behaviors, needs, and abilities, but also can stray from the standard. If you were interested in a work dog, an agility dog, a hunting dog, looking for a specific breed is a good idea. However, finding a dog that excels in the personality a PSD dog needs is broad enough that you have waaaaay more options to you than a short list of breeds.

Look for an older dog, not a pup. Anything over 3 or 4 years old could be a great candidate for a PSD pooch!

For what it's worth, I love lab mixes. We know ours is half black lab half.. something, probably pitbull or other terrier mix. He was a fun nutcase as a pup but now that he's got some years under his belt he's more of a social lazy bum than anything else 95% of the day.
    Last edited by mainbutter; 01-09-2013 at 01:28 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mainbutter For This Useful Post:

Argentra (01-09-2013),dav4 (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    For my case I rescued a pitbull she's smaller shedding not bad and she just wants me happy i loves her haha. I was looking for a companion dog when I first got clean and I found a pit bull rescue for fought dogs, four years later she's wonderful and I'm doing good too haha regular member of society lol
    Normals 1.3
    Spider .1
    Carpet Python .1
    Dog APBT .1

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carlson For This Useful Post:

Argentra (01-09-2013),I-KandyReptiles (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    First off, thank you for the advice so far! I appreciate everything said in this case.

Now then, I know that labs are perfect for service work...but those are one of a few breeds that Ari particularly dislikes (including GSD, dobie, rottie, bullies and most terriers). Luckily, he says he might accept a golden retriever (my second favorite breed) though. And yes, I am quite open to mixed breeds.
    I know that it all comes down to individual traits, and I fully intend to search the shelters as well, but with all the restrictions I have on me I wanted to 'short list' better candidate breeds.
    I will be looking for an adult dog, at least 2 years old, as most have settled and fully developed their personality by then. Collie is my first preferred breed, and Standard Poodle is actually second (smart, gentle, good size, handles smaller spaces well for the most part) especially if I can find a lower cost groomer or learn to do the clipping myself. I'm also researching/finding out more about Golden retrievers, Springer spaniels, Airedales, Wheaten terriers, Whippets, and Samoyeds. All have pros and cons, but the basics on them show that they might be good options.

As far as what I would want from this dog - the main task would be 'crowd control' or keeping strangers from getting too close to me. This is why I need a larger dog that can both be noticed as a barrier and have enough mass/size to keep people at an acceptable distance. I would also need them to be able to lead me to 'safety' (ie less people) in case of attacks. Additionally, I would want them to redirect any negative behavior on my part, 'ground' or 'snap me out of it', and provide 'deep pressure therapy' for major episodes as I also have clinical depression and schizophrenia.

I welcome any comments, suggestions or advice here (and I look forward to your input, spygirl ) so keep em coming!
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 689 Posts
    I have mentioned this before in another thread, but I will put it here aswell. Have you entertained the idea of a rescue greyhound? They are a large breed ranging 40-60lb, easy to train, strive to please, have low grooming requirements, many people with dander issues do well with them, and indoors are couch potatoes. They do however require daily exercise, but nothing more than a bike ride around the block once or twice.

If anyone has a different experience with them in this situation please speak up. But to me, it seems they would be aa good fit. There are hundreds of greyhound rescues, so you would have a large variety of choice to find that special companion.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to RoseyReps For This Useful Post:

Argentra (01-09-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 689 Posts
    I would add, my only concern would be the bunny. But there are plenty of adopted greyhounds that do well with other small pets, its just one thing to make sure you talk about with the rescues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast