Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,239

1 members and 3,238 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

2 tanks.... Same set-up ..why am i getting different temps...Herpstat 4 help!

Good morning all!!

So my I got my 2 v221 tanks on Wed. My thermostat (Herpstat 4) arrived on Friday.

i have both tanks set-up with the Heat panels mounted in the same location (upper right corner of tank).

The tanks are stacked on top of one another and I put the probes directly under the heat panel above the substrate.

I have the thermostat set to 90° proportional...

The tank on top is reading perfectly at 90° while the tank on the bottom is having a hard time getting to 90° ..... The heat panel has been working at a hundred percent for a few days now and I can't get the temperature any higher than 87 on the bottom tank.

Anybody have any suggestions or thoughts as to why this is happening?
    Louiethejet#27

1 Normal Baby BP (Blaze) (103grms as of 12.30.12)
    1 Spider Baby BP (Eva aka "eddie blade") (86grms as of 12.30.12)
    1 Baby Corn Snake (Smooth)

http://www.iherp.com/ldag32

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Re: 2 tanks.... Same set-up ..why am i getting different temps...Herpstat 4 help!

Unless the tanks are as insulated as a cooler, then the top tank is probably getting radient heat from the bottom tank. Try bumping the bottom tank up to 93 and see what happens. You may even be able to lower the top tank value on the Herpstat and still maintain proper temps. As long as your thermometer is showing the tank to be at the temp you want it to hold then that is what matters.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rlditmars For This Useful Post:

Ldag32 (01-06-2013)

Thanks
    What size are the enclosures, and what wattage are the RHP's? The RHP's may not be powerful enough.
    0.1.0 Normal Ball Python 2.0.0 BCI ?
    1.0.0 Western Hognose 0.0.1 Albino Tangerine Honduran Milk Snake
    0.1.0 Rosy Boa 0.1.0 Snow Motley Corn snake
    0.0.1 Honduran Milk Snake 0.1.0 Gray Banded King Snake
    2.0.0 Okeetee Corn Snakes 0.1.0 Apricot Pueblan Milk snake
    0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake 1.2.0 Hog Island Boas
    1.1.0 Colombian Rainbow Boa 0.1.0 Nicaraguan Boa
    0.1.0 California King Snake 1.0.0 Solomon Island ground Boa
    1.1.0 Amelanistic Nelson's Milk Snake 0.1.0 Sunglow Boa
    0.0.1 Guyanan Red Tail

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    My first comment is the probe placement. They must not be able to move and the snake should not be able to get in between the probe and the heat source.

I am also looking for some clarification, one probe is not reading 90º and is not shutting down at all? The other is reading 90º and is shutting down correctly? Are the temp reading coming from the herpstat or other thermometers? Most digital thermometers have an error range the vast majority are 2ºF from correct some (very popular ones) are specd at 4ºF from correct. If you are using a digital thermometer to read the temps it is likely they are not going to read the same. I would suggest using the same one and see what they come up with. Or use one of the empty probes of the herpstat to check the temp.

Thanks

Re: 2 tanks.... Same set-up ..why am i getting different temps...Herpstat 4 help!

Quote Originally Posted by TheWinWizard View Post
    What size are the enclosures, and what wattage are the RHP's? The RHP's may not be powerful enough.
    The Vision V221's are 28w x 24d x 12h .... the RHP's are 28 watts each.... what doesn't make sense is that the top tank is holding the temperature fine.

Its the bottom tank is the one that is not getting up past 85-86 degrees.

I unstacked them a few minutes ago to see if one had an effect on the other.

Appreciate the input
    Last edited by Ldag32; 01-06-2013 at 10:26 PM.
    Louiethejet#27

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    My first comment is the probe placement. They must not be able to move and the snake should not be able to get in between the probe and the heat source.

I am also looking for some clarification, one probe is not reading 90º and is not shutting down at all? The other is reading 90º and is shutting down correctly? Are the temp reading coming from the herpstat or other thermometers? Most digital thermometers have an error range the vast majority are 2ºF from correct some (very popular ones) are specd at 4ºF from correct. If you are using a digital thermometer to read the temps it is likely they are not going to read the same. I would suggest using the same one and see what they come up with. Or use one of the empty probes of the herpstat to check the temp.
    Correct....one probe is not reading 90 degrees and is not shutting down at all.....the top tank is reading 90 and shutting down properly! Both temps coming from Herpstat 4 probes... so should be consistent.

LD
    Louiethejet#27

Thanks
    move the probes closer and see if the temp stabilizes.

Thanks
    what you are experiencing is contact heat loss. I have RHP in all my cages and am very familiar with your problem. the bottom cage is losing heat thru the top of the cage into the bottom of the upper cage therefore making the top cage hot enough but the bottom one not. Your panels may be a bit too small for the tank but there is a few things you can try. home depot sells a product called Reflextix. It is a foil covered bubble wrap that blocks96%of radiant heat loss. place a piece of that on top of the bottom cage, then set the upper cage on top of the wrap. That will stop the heat loss from the bottom tank, but it may also lower the temps in the top tank because it will no longer get heat from the bottom tank. Hope that helps some?If not i have a few other tricks you can try.

Thanks
    It is clearly heat related I would suggest the room is simply too cool. What are the cool end and ambient temps in the enclosures?