Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,644

3 members and 1,641 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Pet stores... ((rant??))

I recently rescued my bp from a private owned pet shop. He was in a moldy tank with no lights, or heat supply and labeled a lost cause and soon to be disposed of. He turned out to be a very out going, adventurous, good tempered ball. I not to mention his enthusiastic attitude towards eating. He's about 4 months old.... That aside... Today I went into another local pet store to buy a feeder mouse and stopped to look at their snakes. Only to be disappointed and a little angered by the sight of about 10 ball pythons crammed into a 20 gallon tank. 4 of them were in shed and the skin was cracked and flaking off. Not to mention the store rep who gave me a sales pitch about how healthy and what a great pick they were. I managed to bite my tongue for the most part, with a few well put statements about humidity, temp gages and space. I didn't mention the sand substrate or the almost non existent water bowl... But he proceeded to tell me that I must not know anything about snakes. I wanted to choke him. I understand that pet stores jam pack for profit and care little about comfort or proper housing... Just the bare essentials to keep them sellable until their bought... But really are they all that ignorant and oblivious to the torture their inflicting on an animal that never asked to be snatched up and stuck on display with a price tag. I mean what happened to animal cruelty laws... Geez. ((rant over))
    I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it.

1.1 ball pythons - Koba-Aurora
    0.1 pitbull/lab - Cinnamon
    0.1 collie/elkhound - Fluffy
    0.2 children
    1.0 Boyfriend

Thanks

Re: Pet stores... ((rant??))

I hear you. The pet stores I've been to have kept most of their snakes decently but their other reptiles.. not so much. I just wish I could buy them all

Thanks

I would have told the owner what was up. Right to his face that he was taking very poor care of these animals. And that people in this hobby so talk amongst themselves. And that his reputation was about to go down the toilet unless changes were made real quick.
    TheSnakeGuy

- Python Regius -
    1.0 Spider Mojave - "Tweak"
    0.1 Mystic Pastel - "Oracle"

Wish List . . . .someday
    Lavender Albino Pied(Dreamsicle) Ball Python
    2. Albino Burmese Python
    3. Mystic Potion Ball Python(Breeders)

Thanks
    I honestly didn't want to get myself kicked out of the store, it's the only local one that carries live feeder mice and im trying to let my little buddy settle in more from his previous ordeal before trying f/t.
    I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it.

1.1 ball pythons - Koba-Aurora
    0.1 pitbull/lab - Cinnamon
    0.1 collie/elkhound - Fluffy
    0.2 children
    1.0 Boyfriend

Thanks
    Animal cruelty laws seem to only apply to fluffy, "cute" animals. Not scary, "disgusting" reptiles.
    --------
    1.0 Husband
    0.1 Colombian BCI (Satin)

0.1 Spider BP (Loki), R.I.P... We will never forget you...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xFenrir View Post
    Animal cruelty laws seem to only apply to fluffy, "cute" animals. Not scary, "disgusting" reptiles.
    I disagree. Animal protective services will respond to any case they are alerted to but there's just that problem, there aren't a lot of people who will alert them in these instances since there officers aren't just keeping an eye on all the petshops out there. The effectiveness on animal cruelty laws tend to rely more on regular people being able to report cases.
    The Ball Pythons
    0.1 2002 normal "Noodle", 1.0 2011 albino "Mosh", 0.1 2011 pinstripe "Pepper", 1.0 2009 lesser "Cato, 0.1 2010 spider "Phoebe", 1.0 2011 pastel 50% het. hypo "Toad", 0.1 2012 black pewter "Pomona", 0.1 2013 kingpin "Marvel", 0.0.7 lesserxspider eggs

The Others
    0.1 2013 p. baroni "Hyacinth", 0.1 2013 CB g. oxycephala "Laurasia", 1.0 2013 T+ albino p. brongersmai "Reinhardt", 1.0 2012 CH g. oxycephala "Gondwana"

The Dearly Departed
    0.1 2012-2013 hypo black pastel "Dexter"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MisterKyte View Post
    I disagree. Animal protective services will respond to any case they are alerted to but there's just that problem, there aren't a lot of people who will alert them in these instances since there officers aren't just keeping an eye on all the petshops out there. The effectiveness on animal cruelty laws tend to rely more on regular people being able to report cases.
    And I disagree with that. I reported a store that's local to the ASPCA for having dead reptiles on display, no water for any of the animals, etc. I was told they'd check it out. I went back a few weeks, same conditions.

1.0 Western Slender Glass Lizard; Logos
    0.1 Charcoal Cornsnake; Morana
    1.0 Golden Gecko; Smoothie
    1.1 African Plated Lizard; Cypher and Nara

Thanks
    The problem is most people don't WANT to report it because either a) they don't like reptiles so they don't care or b) it's not the same as seeing a "cute and cuddly" puppy or kitten in deplorable conditions. They seem to think that reptiles don't have the same capacity for feelings like dogs, cats, even some of the rodent pets. To most people, reptiles (snakes especially) are "cold-blooded killers" that think of nothing but how to eat you and your family.
    --------
    1.0 Husband
    0.1 Colombian BCI (Satin)

0.1 Spider BP (Loki), R.I.P... We will never forget you...

Thanks
    I actually got fired from a veterinary clinic that is part of a big chain store (won't name any names) It was my first job out of vet tech school. I got fired for giving a s#@&! They say each animal they sell comes with a health check , and thats total bull they quite literally pick them up and say oh he looks good and bam off to the display cages. Makes me sick and plus I think all of the DVM's there went to college in WhoVille or something . I just told them how I felt and they didn't know a snake from their @## crack ! Well there went that job , I lasted a whole week hahahaha! Well I got a better job and I actually started specializing more in reptiles , the pay is better and all the vets I work for are very compassionate towards their patients wether furry or 18ft long and scaly . I just don't see why people keep going to them but I understand some folks have to as it's the only option . A lil mom and pop pet store opened up in my area and turns out I went to college with the guy who owns it . Such a blessing and a relief to go in his store and each snake is housed individually , clean and size appropriate display cages, everything is perfect. Take note petsmart and petco !
    1.0 Female Normal Ball Python (Bizkit)

1.0 African Grey Parrot (Isoke)

1.0 Red-Sided Eclectus Parrot (Eggie)

1.0 Quaker Parrot (Sunshine)

1.0 Male High White Cal King

Thanks

Oh and not to mention he breeds all of his snakes no wild caught ! lol but he did sell me a cal king that could pass as wild caught snappy little turd!
    1.0 Female Normal Ball Python (Bizkit)

1.0 African Grey Parrot (Isoke)

1.0 Red-Sided Eclectus Parrot (Eggie)

1.0 Quaker Parrot (Sunshine)

1.0 Male High White Cal King