Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,058

1 members and 2,057 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

living conditions for my ball

ok so when i got the punisher back in march i was giving the tank he lived in too... not exactyly sure the gallons but its huge and it weighs too much for me to keep picking up and carrying around to clean...so i moved him to a tub...and the tub is awesome but my house doesnt stay warm...and the wheather has gotten cold and i have noticed the temps on the cold side range any were from 80-62 and he is in my room wich is the warmest room in the house at night... i know thats bad so hes back in the tank with a light to help with the temps..but the weight of this thing is ridiculous..and for me to get him out and clean i have to pick it up and get it off the dresser..so i want to make him a cage of some sort..one that i can use the heating pad and the light and is shorter than this huge tank i have...any ideas? im not good at builiding stuff..and dont have hundrds of dollars to spend on it but im willing to save and deal with the tank till i can...is plexiglass ok? and how big does it need to be..iv had him sence march and he was allready 2 1/2 when i got him so hes not a baby..oh and this is the only snake i have so no need for a rack.

BPnet Senior Member iCandiBallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 829 Posts
    Since you are in NC I would talk to Rich at reptile basics and maybe see if its possible to make you a single bin rack with heat
    Last edited by iCandiBallPythons; 01-02-2013 at 03:50 PM.
    Malcolm S.
    Premier Ball Python Mutations

Like Us on Face Book or Visit our website

Thanks
    i would rather make one so it could be a mom and son thing

Thanks

Re: living conditions for my ball

Ok sence no one has anynsuggions besidesbuyin one what should I not use like types of wood or cetain glues

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    I would stick with the tank. Racks have only a single type of heat that can be applied and that does not heat air well at all. It means for the majority of ambient temps the room must be heated for a single snake this is silly.

The easiest way I found to clean a tanks is not to move it top water but a bucket and sponge. I use a vacuum to get the substrate up. Then personally I use a steamer at this point but hot soapy water and a clean sponge will work fine. Then rinse it with clear water. A rag or two to dry it out and disinfectant, then dry again and return everything. Moving a tank, rack, or enclosure is simply no easy and most do not bother.

Thanks

Re: living conditions for my ball

i have no choice but to move the tank i cant reach inside with it on the dresser..and i cant put it on the floor because i have a 70 lb dog that is intersted in what lives in the tank..i wanted to build another tank with plexi glass..the same size length wise...but alot shorter hieght wise..but im not sure if plexi glass will warp from the heat pad...and i wanted to put wood around the edges for a littel better support..but i dont know what kind of wood is bad for him...and what kind of "glue" i can use on the plexi glass to hold it together..the tank i have was hand made by the previous owner i belive..but its like 4ft long and about 2 1/2 feet tall...iv been to the petstores to buy another tank and they are all so heavy...

Thanks
    Plexi will work but it's not cheap.. Check out menards and home depot.. They have clear acrylic sheets that are just as strong but not quite as much.. Ive yet to get my snake but I feel I'm creative and being a mechanic I'm mechanically inclined so to speek.. U don't really glue the plastic you bond it.. Check out hobby stores for "plastruct" or there's a product u can buy online called weld on.. Basically both products are the same and they weld the plastic together..

Ftee getting your form down put some aquarium safe silicone in the corners and drill some holes for air.. I'm currently trying to "trim" mine with aluminum right angle bar stock but having a hard time fastening the alum to the plastic.. A little light sanding and loctite go2 glue seems to have done it tho.. I'll b posting pics in a couple days once everything is cured

Oh and btw my lil project cost me 40$