Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,227

1 members and 3,226 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Account Disabled
    Thanks

Re: Breeding a redtail to a rainbow???

I forget what site I was on but just last month someone bred their RTB to their BRB. They copulated. They even had a picture of the pairing so they will copulate but it is yet unknown if the female has become gravid.

edit: found it! Link- http://www.hybridhaven.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=881
    Last edited by TurkeyPython; 11-03-2013 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks
    They are both Boa's, and the fact that they are from different Continents doesn't matter lol The fact they are both Boa's makes it possible for them to breed, they have descended from Boa Constrictors, and there are many sub-species of the Rainbow Boa's, including one from Columbia. It would be more about if you were able to get them to breed, they may not see the other sub-species as a attractive mate, but the problems don't end there. A lot of the eggs may not come to term or fertilize, at least not as many as a normal clutch. I don't Kno why all the female are getting all worked up about this, like its some unethical animal experiment. I consider the breeding of Ball Pythons for colors unethical.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 13OA Hen View Post
    They are both Boa's, and the fact that they are from different Continents doesn't matter lol The fact they are both Boa's makes it possible for them to breed, they have descended from Boa Constrictors, and there are many sub-species of the Rainbow Boa's, including one from Columbia. It would be more about if you were able to get them to breed, they may not see the other sub-species as a attractive mate, but the problems don't end there. A lot of the eggs may not come to term or fertilize, at least not as many as a normal clutch. I don't Kno why all the female are getting all worked up about this, like its some unethical animal experiment. I consider the breeding of Ball Pythons for colors unethical.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 03-19-2014 at 05:22 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (03-19-2014),Bluebonnet Herp (03-19-2014),Gio (03-20-2014),Inknsteel (03-19-2014),Pyrate81 (03-19-2014),RissaEst (03-19-2014),satomi325 (03-20-2014),Shann (03-19-2014),Slim (03-19-2014),tlich (03-19-2014)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    I have no idea if they can breed to produce viable offspring. Personally I'm not a fan of the idea, but I'm also not so strong in that feeling that I would prohibit it. Part of that is because I can't reconcile within myself my acceptance of some hybrids but not others.

I do find the views in the herp community interesting. In the wild, animals can and do hybridize. It is more likely to occur within the same genus. Off the top of my head without doing any searching, I know of one incidence of two different Vireo species hybridizing in the wild, and I also know wolves and coyotes can and do hybridize in the wild. In both cases, the species involved are part of the same genera. In captivity people hybridize animals, even across genera. A very well known example of hybridization in captivity are mules and hinnies, crosses between donkeys and horses (both belonging to the genus Equus). Other hoofstock species have been hybridized. People have also crossed lions and tigers, and other wild cats. Domestic dogs and coyotes have been crossed, domestic cats and several species of wild cats have been crossed (including species not belonging to the genus Felis). Different birds have been hybridized in captivity too. Some people in these different hobbies frown upon it, others don't. It is very widely accepted in the equine world (though I'm sure there are some purists who would prefer not to see mules, hinnies, and other equine hybrids).
    Why keep a snake? Why keep any animal? Because you enjoy the animal, find something beautiful and fascinating about it, and it fits seamlessly into your lifestyle.

BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well, yellow anaconda/Boa constrictor hybrids exist, as well as a Colombian rainbow boa/yellow anaconda hybrid also exists. I don't see why it wouldn't work. It would just be a similar equation without the yellow anaconda part lol

As for if this is going to be done or has been done, just don't mis-market them. The last thing I want to see is carpet pythons 2: electric boogaloo where pure specimens are rare as hell. It's one thing to breed distant hybrids - you can tell those apart from pure specimens easily. But it's a different ball game trying to tell apart sub species integrades, or even closely related species. (Bredl/carpet hybrids, and blood/short tailed hybrids anyone?) Hybrids like those are hard to identify even in F1 generations.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    Hybrids = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abomination_(Bible)

But hey, that's just my opinion...
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

DooLittle (03-19-2014),Mephibosheth1 (03-19-2014)

BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Hybrids = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abomination_(Bible)

But hey, that's just my opinion...
    Yeah and opinions are like buttholes. Everybody has one and most of them stink.

Thanks

I think if you kept them all, I'd say do it. Some ppl keep burmballs and the like that they have produced themsleves, as well as other hybrids, and if for some reason they were to ever leave your hands, make sure it were as pet only.
    0.2 normal, 1.0 Butter, 1.1 Fire, 1.0 Pastel, 0.1 Spider, .1 Pastel Het Clown

Thanks

I'm a fan of naturally occurring hybrids/integrades. My favorite being green/yellow cross anacondas. Happens in the wild, easy to distinguish from pure stock, and look cool as hell.

I might even produce some

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Ball pythons:
    -0.1 Normal (Lilith)
    -1.0 Dark Normal
    -0.1 Light Normal
    -0.1 Pastel
    -1.0 Lesser

Retics:
    -0.1 Platinum
    -1.1 Fire Tiger Het Albino
    -1.0 Purple Sunfire
    -1.0 Tiger
    -0.1 Lavender Tiger
    -1.0 Motley Het Purple

Boas:
    -0.1 Hypo BCI
    -1.0 Hypo BCI (Hades)
    -1.0 EBV Red Group Hypo Pastel BCI (Ares)
    -0.1 Normal BCI (Isis)
    -0.1 Anery BCI (Medusa)
    -0.1 Normal BCI (Hera)
    -0.1 Normal BCI (Athena)

Blood Pythons:
    -1.1 VPI Super Stripe Mead Line Borneo Ultra Breit

Epicrates Striatus Striatus
    -1.1 Dominican Red Mountain Boa

Burmese Pythons:
    -1.1 Albino Burmese

Anacondas:
    -0.2 Yellow Anaconda
    -1.0 Yellow Anaconda

Thanks
    In terms of ethical behavior, to me it seems wrong if the following conditions are what you are basing your breeding on.

1. You are breeding to produce hybrids to sell.
    This results in snakes that are not pure, producing all sorts of other cross overs and muddies up the general gene pool. It's easy to see people not keeping track of all the genetic details of their snakes when breeding. So when the time comes to breed them and they don't know it's a hybrid, you've got the beginnings of a gene pool pollutant.

2. If upon breeding a hybrid, it has physiological issues due to being a hybrid.
    This one is a blurry line as we have the spider wobble in BPs and that is clearly a physiological issue that people don't mind and put up with. If you have done this in the past, and your hybrid had issues, public knowledge would benefit anyone possibly considering the same hybrid as they would have forewarning of possible issues. This also results in less snakes needing to be euthanized at an early age due to defects or deformities.

So far, those are the only things I can think of off the top of my head that would be problematic if you were to produce hybrids. If they can physically mate, I don't see why they wouldn't do so in the wild aside from being geographically separate.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkspftw View Post
    My ball pythons, so far as I can tell so far, are idiots. Lovable all the same, but not smart. In fact, my main moral dilemma as a BP keeper is the fact that we have to feed animals that are so smart (rats) to ones that are basically as dumb as logs.

I'm working on a Snake Tracker App! If you have any ideas or suggestions on features, feel free to post them in the Development Thread! I'll also be posting updates on the development of this program in this thread!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast