Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,331

2 members and 3,329 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Snake mites - newbie

hey all, im after some guidance please, i am a newbie.... and after a year of reading up on the ball python i have finally got my first ball python which is just less than a year old.

Ive had him for about 2 weeks and have noticed that he has mites.
    Can you tell me what the best way is to combat these mites please, I have just bought some spray today but im not 100% sure what to do.
    I have also read to bathe your snake but how do you do this? Is it a case of just helping him into his water bowel?

Your help/advise is much appreciated.

Thanks
    Clean the whole tank throw out all substrate clean the hides and water bowls. Spray that on the tank and the hides I believe then add fresh substrate, when i had mites i put my ball in a tub with a lid and water that was bout halfway up his body so he didn't have to swim just soak and that worked form me hope you figure it out soon
    Normals 1.3
    Spider .1
    Carpet Python .1
    Dog APBT .1

3. The Following User Says Thank You to carlson For This Useful Post:

3skulls (12-16-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,184 Posts
    I had a rescue that had mites when we first got her.
    I would soak her daily in warm soapy water (not hot and a mild soap)
    Kept her on newspaper and changed it everyday. Also washed her bowl and tub daily. I got some mite spray from the pet store, can't remember the name of it. It was the type that was safe to use on her and the tub.
    I would also clean around her face, eyes, hit pits and under her chin really good. Then I would apply a baby oil in those areas.

Make sure she has a bowl big enough to soak in.

Good luck!!

Thanks

Re: Snake mites - newbie

Usually everyone says to get some PAM (prevent a mite) which I have never used. I am not sure if it is safe to use on the snake or how it works.

Thanks
    a big waterdish in her enclosure will help out, since she'll probably spend a lot of time soaking herself to drown the mites.
    get rid of allll the substrate, any wood hides. I cleaned out mine with natural chemistry reptile spray every three days and rubbed mine down with it as well. rubbing a little bit of vegatable oil on her as well will help.

Also, anything in the tank that you still want, I would soak in steaaaminng hot water with a little bit of bleach. then let it air dry.

When I picked up my baby she had a huge mite infestation. It sucks. But she'll be so less stressed when they're gone and she'll be way more pleasant. It'll take a while and its a pain in the ass. Gooodd luck.

Thanks

Re: Snake mites - newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Lainy35 View Post
    hey all, im after some guidance please, i am a newbie.... and after a year of reading up on the ball python i have finally got my first ball python which is just less than a year old.

Ive had him for about 2 weeks and have noticed that he has mites.
    Can you tell me what the best way is to combat these mites please, I have just bought some spray today but im not 100% sure what to do.
    I have also read to bathe your snake but how do you do this? Is it a case of just helping him into his water bowel?

Your help/advise is much appreciated.
    Soaking the snake in luke warm water with a hint of soap for 30 minutes is a start. You should invest in provent-a-mite and spray your enclosure WITHOUT the snake inside letting it dry out. You should also spray the snake down with reptile relief to kill the mites on the snake. Make sure to also stick to paper towels as substrate for a few weeks if not a few months. It'd also help to bake all wooden things you have and bleach anything that can't be baked.
    Last edited by Corey209; 12-17-2012 at 11:05 PM.

Thanks
    How long and what temp would you bake a wooden log hide? And this is a little off topic but if using cypress mulch as a substrate, should that also be baked? I'm saying a brand new bag you just got, would you bake it before putting it in your snakes cage? I hear that prevents springtails, and some other annoying insects. Thank you. And about your mites, I took my bp to a herp and he was given three different injections every two weeks. I'm not sure if it's working though :/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 1,184 Posts
    180-200* for 30 mins.

Thanks
    I don't really think you need the injections, especially since a spray will work just fine if you clean and soak them enough. Cost wise and stress, that seems a little strange to me. IDK though, I'm not a vet.

Thanks
    Provent a mite is amazing.. I had a mite problem and I used the stuff from the pet store in the blue bottle.. Might as well have used water. Soaking does great leave a container big enough for the sake to fit in in the tank so I can soak on its own. Not sure what everyone said lol didn't read them all kinda lazy. But if nothing works get some Provent a mite its a little more costly than the other mite stuff but it works the best. And once you stop seeing mite. Continue treatment for a little longer just to make sure they are gone. I freaked out when I had them but calm down its actually not so bad good luck with your extermination.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast