Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,469

1 members and 1,468 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    The weather out here is quickly getting UGLY!! There is a pretty good chance that, due to high winds, the power will go out at some point tonite. What do I do in terms of tank heating for Hissy if this happens!!??
    Life is like a game of poker. You can play each hand to the best of your ability but you are still going to run into a bad beat from time to time. What matters is how you handle it. Do you go on tilt or can you maintain your composure & rebuild your stack?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hopin for a quick response

What are the temps now, and what will they be dropping to? Most likely, it should be fine. Power shouldn't be out for very long and the snake can withstand a few hours of cooler-than-optimum temps. And if its anything there like it is here, it's pretty warm to begin with.

If you are afraid of temps dropping too low, you can wrap a blanket or something around the tank...or have it ready to wrap in the event the power goes off...to help hold in the heat that is there for as long as possible.

Good luck.
    -- Judy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanks Judy, the temps inside the tank are 92F warm & 79F cool. The temp in the living room right now is like 73F. Obviously the tank should not drop any lower than that. I just know that in this area when wind storms maintain for a long period of time that the power can go out for a day or longer. I know that 73 probably isn't life threatening for that amount of time but i don't want her to deal with any discomfort. I will have a blanket ready to seal up the tank. Thanks for the quick response.
    Life is like a game of poker. You can play each hand to the best of your ability but you are still going to run into a bad beat from time to time. What matters is how you handle it. Do you go on tilt or can you maintain your composure & rebuild your stack?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The temps sound just fine...even at the worse case scenario. You could turn off the AC (or turn it up) to raise the ambient temps a bit, too. But they're likely to rise anyhow, if the power goes out.
    -- Judy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    AC, HAHAHAHAHA!! That is a good one Judy!! It is only about 70F outside sweety! I live in western new york! We don't need AC's for a good long time still!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    LOL! I was surprised at the temps you offered, but figured that might be triggering the strong storms. When I asked what the temps were, I meant outside...so I saw "92" and "79" and figured it had gotten really warm and the storm was expected to cool it down. So when you said it was 73 inside, I knew you must have the AC on. :lol: I've lived in Arizona and southern Texas for too long!

Anyhow...sounds lovely to me...I LOVE a good storm!
    -- Judy

Thanks
    funny you should say this my power went out just last night the good thing to do is have a alternatively powered heat source not to make it perfect just hold you over till the power goes back on and put a sock over a flash light if thats what your going to use for light it wont cause to much glare so you can actually see inside the cage and its not as harsh on the snake.
    There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is in having lots to do and not doing it.
    1.1 Ball Pythons (Schurke & Sage)
    0.1 Chilean Rose Tarantula (Artemis)
    0.1 Blood Python (Clover)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Favorite Herp and Why?

when the power went out here in dead winter, i put my snakes in pillow cases and kept them in the living room with the kerosene heater. the whole family, snakes and all slept huddled around it.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Thanks
    if i had to i would hold my snakes so that they could take my body heat as long as it took.
    There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is in having lots to do and not doing it.
    1.1 Ball Pythons (Schurke & Sage)
    0.1 Chilean Rose Tarantula (Artemis)
    0.1 Blood Python (Clover)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yeah...there are definitely steps you can take to make sure they stay warm without electricity. But when it's 70 degrees outside, that shouldn't be too necessary.
    -- Judy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast