Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 518

1 members and 517 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driftwood

Thanks
    I'm getting tired of the same old store bought drift wood and specially the prices of it, so I thought I would goto the local lake and gather some up. Couple questions here:

What is the proper baking temp to rid of bacteria, parasites, etc etc?

Is there anyone that has done this, if so what methods where used?

Thanks any input is helpful!!

Thanks
    That's a good question, and I'll be sitting on the sidelines watching this one.

Also, how does one bake a piece of driftwood that is too large to stick in the oven?
    Chance Favors the Prepared Mind

http://www.four-feathers-photography.com

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I too will be waiting to see where this goes as I will need to get a bigger enclosure for Hissy to live in for life once she outgrows this one (& yes, I plan on having empty tank syndrome but I doubt that i will be able to talk nanci into lettin me fill it with anything for a good long time) & I will want to get her some different things to toy around with. This little girl is like short attention span city! She was staying in her hides for a couple weeks so I bought her a large vine from Exxo Terra & some fake leaves. When I did her tank cleaning this saturday I put the new stuff in. She spent the next 24 hours exploring. Since then she has gone back to just hangin out in her hides ALL DAY! LOL!! Gotta keep things fresh frequently to keep this one stimulated!
    Life is like a game of poker. You can play each hand to the best of your ability but you are still going to run into a bad beat from time to time. What matters is how you handle it. Do you go on tilt or can you maintain your composure & rebuild your stack?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    These are things I've read from multiple sources, but have not tried myself:

Bake wood in the oven at 200*F for about an hour.

If the wood is too big, and/or you want more security than simply baking it, you can try covering it in several coats of some clear acrylic (after you've baked it, if you do). This serves two purposes...it kills whatever is in the wood and keeps it from getting out...and it makes the wood easier to clean later.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Also, you can try removing the top oven rack and moving the bottom rack to the lowest setting, then putting the pieces in diagonally (so that they do not come in contact with heating elements!). Most driftwood that will fit in standard enclosure sizes will fit in this way. You can also try bribing your buddy who works at a local pizza restaurant to cook your driftwood before opening or after closing one day.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    not like anyone has done that before :roll:
    There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is in having lots to do and not doing it.
    1.1 Ball Pythons (Schurke & Sage)
    0.1 Chilean Rose Tarantula (Artemis)
    0.1 Blood Python (Clover)

Thanks

Is it just my BCI?

JLC thanks I heard/read anywhere from 200-300 I'll try that out

Marla ummm the local pizza joint already tastes like that or maybe cardboard .lolo..

But all in all I'm determined to try this out and pass the info on.

Thanks
    Am baking a piece right now at 250. Water boils at around 212 depending on where you are sea level wise. You can kill most crawlies by boiling for 20 minutes so baking for about an hour should do the trick. I rinsed off the wood real good with hot water and put it in the oven. Has been 35 minutes and is almost completely dry. I figure when it's dry it's done.

Thanks
    Welp I guess store bought drift was meant to be, I just couldn't get rid of the wood barrowing critters. After soaking them in water for a day thinking this would drown them ......NOT.......and get this even after baking teh wood @ 200-225 for 1 hr ....yup they still left little sawdust tracks..so if anyone can give me better instructions this method is out the door. thanks!!

Thanks
    Once you've soaked them in the bleach water and done the baking, you can dry it thoroughly then coat it with shellac to suffocate any critters inside and prevent their escape.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast