Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,693

0 members and 2,693 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks
    i gotta question. i begining to lik burms, and i had an idea to build a single room inclosure. it would be just for the snake, and properly heated obviously. it wont be a while until i get one, im not ready, nor could i afford it, but i was just wondering if anyone has a setup like this?
    ~Jason~

0.1 BCI-Adrian
    1.0 Burm-Homer
    1.0 Tiger Retic-Buster
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "If you give up before you try, then you never really wanted it in the first place."
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v708/BCImperator11/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks

Found out what it was......

From what I have read, room sized enclosures don't work very well. The snakies tend to get VERY territorial of "their" room, and you can have a lot of problems safely doing routine maintenance tasks. Not firsthand experience, just what I've read.
    Randy

"I think it might be helpful for everyone to remember that the purpose of a forum like this is to EXCHANGE IDEAS, not dictate what is right or wrong or good or bad. If you disagree with what someone else is suggesting, you can say so without being argumentative or completely slamming the guy (or girl)." - Smynx

Thanks
    well, then what size enclosure would you need for a full grown burm? is ther an aquarium big enough?
    ~Jason~

0.1 BCI-Adrian
    1.0 Burm-Homer
    1.0 Tiger Retic-Buster
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "If you give up before you try, then you never really wanted it in the first place."
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v708/BCImperator11/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    The only kind of enclosure big enough for a Burm would be a custom built enclosure. No Tank would hold a full grown Burm hence your lookin' at a +15' snake(full grown). So I'd say for a full grown Burm you'd need at least for comfortable measures a enclosure that measures Length= 12'-14' Width= 4'-5' and Height= 3'. Just what I think anybody else suggests different that would be nice to compare.
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    RTB(bci)- Cleo
    BP- Tiger
    Tokay Gecko- Viscious
    In the works are a female BP for breeding. Carpets pythons notice the 's' as in more than one LOL. Amazon Tree Boa. Want also to get into hots but thats a side project that'll wait for a while.

Wanna chat add me soul_of_fire_in_death@hotmail.com
    or
    you could always just PM me.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No, you can't put a fully grown burm in an aquarium. The last thing you want to be doing is trying to lift a giant snake out of a glass tank. I believe there are some reptile cage retailers (like Vision) that make enclosures big enough for burms, but I haven't checked into it myself. At a minimum, the square footage of the floor should be the length of the snake plus another foot or so. So...a 15' snake could live in a 7' x 2.5' enclosure. I'd give it at least 18" for height...24" would probably be better. With a front/side opening. In an enclosure that size, I would also take the snake out frequently for stretching and exercise.

Another thing to take into serious consideration, is always having a partner available to help you with the snake when you need to take it out of its enclosure for any reason. Once it gets to 8'+, you need to have someone else around (strong enough and mature enough to help if something goes awry) whenever you take the snake out. Even if you think you're strong enough to lift and handle it easily on your own...once a snake that big decides to wrap you for whatever reason, a second person there may save your life.

Last thing to consider when looking at making an enclosure, is feeding. You can't feed a giant snake outside its enclosure like we do with smaller ones. One way that keepers avoid a possible "Pavlovian" reflex to feeding is to have two different openings in the cage. One is used accessing the snake in any way...and the other is used exclusively for placing prey into the enclosure. (Usually one in the front for access, and a smaller one on the side for prey)

Just some thoughts that I ponder when I consider my own dreams of owning a burm or other giant snake.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    I have read of some instances where folks have built with a second access behind the hide so that when the snake is in the hide they can slide it out of the side and secure it while cleaning the cage. A seperate room would be a crapshoot every time you opened the door UNLESS you had one with a plexi/reinforced window or a half door so you could look in to assess before opening the door - Randy makes a damn good point there: some snakes are "cage defensive" and if that whole room pretty much belongs to the snake . . .

Judy makes a second extremely important point: if a 15'+ constrictor throws a few coils and manages the chest you had better pray you have backup. Of even more common and practical note for even the most docile big'uns you cannot properly support a snake of that size on your own - they'll need another couple support points (and obviously shoulder/neck isn't on the reccomend list). The common giants are thick with heavy muscle and strong. If you managed to grow a scrub that big it would tend to be slimmer but easily make up for that with speed and agility.

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I have also read in various places that when they get up over eight feet, if one person picks them up it can actually hurt the snake to have all of their weight balanced on one part of their body so yeah, that is another reason why you would want more than one person!
    Life is like a game of poker. You can play each hand to the best of your ability but you are still going to run into a bad beat from time to time. What matters is how you handle it. Do you go on tilt or can you maintain your composure & rebuild your stack?

Thanks
    We have huge enclosures. I could live in them ..lol
    You really need a large secure enclosure. I personally do not recommend a room enclosure so to speak. If you build a naturalistic environment for your large boid, and can control heat and humidity, thats a different story. But I don't feel safe suggesting taking an already built room in your home and converting it.
    Definatly need two people. For instance, on a recent trip to the vet, we had to weigh two of our large burmese pythons. to do this you first have to weigh yourself, then weigh yourself and said snake. Easier said then done, They are heavy, and awkward to hold by yourself. None the less the safety issues for yourself and the snake.
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

Thanks
    Rusty has a point. I have 8 1/2 ft burm. Since I am a big boi, I pretty much handle her by myself as of now. With this being said that doesn't mean that I a stupid either. There are alot of precautions that you have to take when handling a burm. Yes they are docile and sweet; but there is a darkside to every fairy tale. Burms darkside is feeding time and unexpected surprises. I have had my share of unexpected surprises. One mainly is when I am cleaning her tanks and I have my back to her, I turn and she right in my face. I know she is not trying to attack, but is just the fact that she is 8 1/2 ft. and if she wanted to she can inflict some serious damage just by biting me.
    Antoher thing you have to consider is food. Make sure you are going have a constant supply of rats and some cases rabbits. I say some cases because some burms wont eat rabbits. Make sure that you have atleast three people while the feeding is going on (if you are going to feed outside of the enclosure, inc which I really recommend). This is for safety reasons because I was almost attacked by my burm because I though she was finish eating because she had hid her last rat up under her. When I stuck the hook in there to get her out her feeding tank she lounged at me. Had she made contact I would be able to tell you about this experience becuase I was the only one home at that time.
    Enclosures are going to be best if built because that way when that get territorial it's only a space big enough for them and not a room where you are not going to be so lucky if you are not close enough to the door to make a fast get away. I'm not trying to scare you, just trying to forwarn you of the potential dangers of these gental giants.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Personally...I would advise against feeding a giant snake outside of its enclosure. When they're small, it seems like a good idea, but when they grow too big, it can become a very dangerous task on two different levels.

First, and most obvious, is the danger of a feeding response. If the snake is not finished with its meal, as Snakemann mentioned in his post...or even if its finished, but still in "hunt" mode, you could be hit with one of their infamous feeding responses. And while a defensive bite might be scary enough...a feeding bite from a giant snake could be deadly. This is a risk you would take each and every time you had to move the snake back and forth from its enclosure to its feeding box.

Second...it can be dangerous for a snake. We all know what too much handling can do to a snake that has just eaten. What happens when you have to wrestle a snake that weighs more than you do, out of a big box and back into its home? They can't be gently scooped up in the palm of your hand, like you did when they were babies. If not done right, this procedure can cause them to regurge.

The argument that if you feed inside the enclosure, you risk a feeding response even when no food is involved, is something that can be easily overcome by consistent and carefully conscientious care. For instance, have two different doors in the enclosure...one always used for feeding and one always used for your own access to the enclosure for every other purpose. And/or, always use a hook to remove the snake from its enclosure...when it sees/feels the hook, it won't associate it with food. And of course, the obvious answer of making sure you NEVER smell like food around the enclosure.
    -- Judy