Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,431

2 members and 2,429 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    I am interested in getting a larger python in a few years. Once I master the art of keeping medium-sized snakes (well, bci.)
    I am kind of interested in blood pythons, or maybe carpet pythons. But I really don't want anything over 10 feet. OK, I really want an albino burm, but I am leary about getting bitten and constricted.
    Who has a "biggish" python; what type is it; is it aggressive, and would you recommend one for someone who's raised BPs and boas for a few years?
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

VP of Cool
    Thanks
    Carpets are not that big Ginevive. Then are slender so easier to manage than a BCI in my opinion. If you are talking larger pythons, then we are looking at burms, retics, and afrocks! Not for the faint of heart and defenitely not for the intermediate herper. But then again if you own a burm from a baby ur chances of having a gentle giant are much better. The same, however, cannot be said for afrocks and retics. But you know this of course.
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be ~ Lao Tzu

Thanks
    I don't think I want anything like a retic; they're the longest-growing snakes in the world!
    I think the carpets are really neat looking. I wonder how their temperaments generally are?
    In general, I guess I don't want anything that can get over ten feet. Or if it can, it's not heavy-bodied. I am a small person, hehe.
    Ball pythons:

Thanks
    I am looking into getting a carpet myself, any input people can give about temperment and handlability would be great. I am looking into a coastal carpet python. They tend to get around ten ft I beleive... Great looking snakes, semi-aboreal...
    Jungle carpets are smaller and "yellower" (is that a word?)
    1.0 Green tree python

Thanks
    You got it - I was leaning towards a coastal also - from all the asking around I have done their temperment is pretty good and typical (nippy young, tame with handling). Much better than the others my inquiries went toward (scrub/amethystine and white-lipped, respectively).

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Thanks
    I think I may go with a burm. My boyfriend is against the idea, saying that they get so big. But I have seem burms who were over 10 years old and they maxxed out at around ten feet long. This does not strike me as terrrrible long. I told him that once I master the art of larger snakekeeping (read: when my bci grows to adulthood) then I will consider getting a burm. But he still gave me that "you're crazy" look.
    Ball pythons:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ginevive...I don't think it's wise to choose a burm simply because some of them only get around ten feet long. You just never know how big one is going to get. Yes, the males are typically shorter than the females...but Rusty has a male that is seventeen feet long! If you really want a 10 foot snake, then I would look for one that always maxes out at that length.

That being said...I think burms are awesome and personally would love to own one someday. And maybe by the time you're ready to buy one, the 10 foot limit might not apply anymore.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Hey Ginevive
    There is going to be a huge difference between owning and caring for a Burm than that of a bci. Your bci when adulthood is hit will actually hit most likely 7-8' its rare that they hit the 10' mark. Also they are naturally a more docile snake however having said that they are still wild and unpredictible. Now when dealing with a burm your going to have to understand that this is not a snake you'll be caring for by yourself in anyway. So you might want to get your bf's approvel because when that burm hits the 8' mark he's gonna be helping you out alot with it. They are no joke and a job they are. I'm not meaning to make you feel bad with what I'm saying but I just want you to really consider what it is your getting yourself into before you get into it and its a huge responsibility because that snake is gonna live for YEARS I think respectivly like 25-30yrs could be more than that. But thats a 15-18' snake that 2 people have to be committed to plus have the room for and are going to be living with for the next 25-30yrs not to mention the food bill will be off the charts. So getting a burm is cool and all just think about it in every possible asspect before you get it and then if you decide to get it POST PICS cause everybody here is a Pic Freak LOL.
    -Andrew
    RTB(bci)- Cleo
    BP- Tiger
    Tokay Gecko- Viscious
    In the works are a female BP for breeding. Carpets pythons notice the 's' as in more than one LOL. Amazon Tree Boa. Want also to get into hots but thats a side project that'll wait for a while.

Wanna chat add me soul_of_fire_in_death@hotmail.com
    or
    you could always just PM me.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Or you can go with one of the midget monsters, Sumatran STP (Black Blood), Borneo STP, Red Blood, or Sarawak STP. Try em, you might like em.

Thanks
    Ginevive

I have a burm. It's not as easy as it sems. I say this because right now Akasha is right 8 1/2 feet in length and her choice of food changes as the seasons do. For the longest, I was wondering why she wouldn't eat rabbits (it's cheaper to buy a rabbit than a ton of rats) but instead wanted a feast of rats. Well I later found out that during the wintery months were most snakes stop eating or slow down. Burms don't require a large meal such as rabbit but a couple of monster rats will do just fine. Burms can be the best lap dog there is until feeding time. You need atleast to extra set of hands during feeding just be on the safe side. Akasha's nickname is "Da Garbage Disposal" because she will eat anything that given to her. I notice that it was imperative to have an extra set of hands when I almost lost mine trying to ger out of her feeding tank. Burms are easy to get ahold of and raise but they are more prone to colds and RI. I have been battling a cold with Akasha for awhile now. But all in all burms are a nice snake. They aren't for the inexperience snake hobbist and certainly not for the squimish. This is so because their food will vary. Be prepared to spend so money on food. Also make sure that your enclosure is good enough for the burm to stretch at least have of it's body out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast