Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,742

4 members and 3,738 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    How does one go about educating others on snakes. My mom isn't upset about my BP but she has always been scared of snakes. Are there any good videos out there or anything that can teach people about BP's or snakes in general?

Please share your stories of times that you have taught others about snakes or explained why you kept them that were effective or at least sparked a respectful debate. I'm just interested to hear how you have effectively communicated the overall coolness of snakes.
    1.0 Ball Python [Icculus]
    >>>>Looking for a vet?<<<<
    http://www.herpvetconnection.com/
    http://www.arav.org

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    my entire fam hated snakes, couple of forced handling sessions and now they beg me to get em' out.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

Thanks
    I agree with Will. Usually once someone has actually handled a snake, they're fine with it. In fact most people become fascinated with them after they've handled one. I don't know if forcing is the best method, but hey, whatever works.

I work with people who have a range of interest in them. One actually went out and got herself a BP last week. One is generally fascinated with them. One is gradually getting used to the fact that I keep them. And one is deathly afraid of snakes but has asked if she can come over and see mine in the hopes that just being around them will quell her "unreasonable fear" (as she calls it).

Thanks
    generally counselors use gradual introduction of whatever is feared when treating phobias, so if I were dealing with someone who was very afraid or leery and it was important to me that person get used to snakes, I would approach it in a similar way. Basically, something along the lines of talking about snakes, followed by talking about my particular snake(s), then photos of the particular snake or species I keep, then information on the behavioral traits of the species, then seeing it in its enclosure from across a room, then seeing me hold it, then being encouraged to touch it with me holding it, then being encouraged to stroke it for longer periods of time and look at it more closely (eyes, belly, scales), then given the opportunity to hold it. Depending on the individual, this could take anywhere from 20 minutes to several months.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    One good thing you can almost always use provided the person doesnt have a phobia, is curiosity. My wife has never and may never hold one, but for someone who didnt want anything to do with them, she cant help but peek in on them from time to time (often disapointed by the lazy ba%$#rds) and shes even felt their skin!

VP of Cool
    Thanks
    People fear what they do not understand! I'm tired of hearing all the snickering remarks about my little girl :evil: I just tell myself what sad pathetic excuse for human beings they are and just walk away. They have no idea what they are missing out on :wink:
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be ~ Lao Tzu

Banned
    Thanks
    Kinda harsh there iceman.... not everyone has to like herps

Thanks
    Personaly I don't mind when people don't like snakes cause then it keeps them away from my house LOL a bonus to keeping snakes and others who want to but the evil snake myth to legend I help them experience the joys of herps and clear them of common misconceptions.
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    RTB(bci)- Cleo
    BP- Tiger
    Tokay Gecko- Viscious
    In the works are a female BP for breeding. Carpets pythons notice the 's' as in more than one LOL. Amazon Tree Boa. Want also to get into hots but thats a side project that'll wait for a while.

Wanna chat add me soul_of_fire_in_death@hotmail.com
    or
    you could always just PM me.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    When I first got Bob my mother in law said "OMG well I am never staying overnight again"
    Tiger is Here
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/

1 Red Tail Boa - Jay
    1 Ball Python - Silent Bob
    1 Coastal Carpet Python - Berber
    1 Spoiled princess feline - Meechie
    2 Stinky Rotten Kids
    1 Beautiful wife
    Rest in Peace Amy & Nanners

VP of Cool
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    Kinda harsh there iceman.... not everyone has to like herps
    Not at all Jeff. I have no problem with anyone not liking herps or cats or donkeys and such. Just don't talk down upon people who like them. I'm not a big fan of cats, but I would never mistreat one or talk smack to someone who loves cats. Thats just plain wrong IMO!
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be ~ Lao Tzu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast