Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,933

1 members and 2,932 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member WarriorPrincess90's Avatar
    Thanks

Need Some Advice About A Possible Trade

So I have a friend that owns a small family reptile store and he has a beautiful BCI for sale. It's young, not sure how young, but probably only a few months. He picked it up at the last show and thought it would sell quickly but his business has been really slow lately. It's a normal I think, but is light tan with lots of speckling and the most beautiful silver eyes. The saddles on the tail are a yellowish orange color. Overall, there looks like there might be some Hog Island influence, he's that light. Now, I say he, but I don't know. Neither he nor I was comfortable popping either. I'm hoping it's male however, as I don't really want another female right now.

So here's the part where the advice comes in. I don't have room for another boa at the moment. I only have a 10gal aquarium empty for now, and I can't put even a baby boa in that. I just moved my mojo up to the only empty 20L. However, I have a normal male that I've raised from a hatchling that is currently occupying another 20L. I love him to pieces, but he doesn't eat reliably and never has, and when he does he's a mouser. He has no place in my future breeding plans either. He was my second BP ever and I've had him for a few years now. So obviously I'm attached to the little guy. My friend has no problem selling BPs, but people tend to be more fearful of the boas. So I am considering trading my normal male for the little boa, but I'm not sure. Given the circumstances, what would you all do?

Keep the normal male I've raised from a baby? Or trade him for the gorgeous little boa that I could breed to my monster tail BCI in a few years if he does turn out to be male? And if not, he or she is still a gorgeous snake...and if female, that would be a killer deal. Thoughts?
    Last edited by WarriorPrincess90; 11-27-2012 at 08:43 PM.

- Nakita

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Idk, thats tough. Im attached to my normal (i think female but could be male lol) and never plan to get rid of her but thats because she/he was my first snake. She's also a great eater though. I can see how him being a mouser is a pain. Since he was your second, not first, bp maybe there's not *as* much of an attachment? If you trust that your friend will find a good home for him then i say go for it and get the bci you want.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

WarriorPrincess90 (11-27-2012)

Thanks
    My first had to be put down after becoming septic with viral pneumonia. So no, I'm not nearly as attached to him as I was to her. But he was the one that got picked to fill her empty tank. So yeah, a certain amount of attachment. He's an annoying goober who refuses more than he eats, but I'd be concerned about him getting a good home. It's still a pet shop...you never know who's gonna end up with them. And he's sensitive. Lol. But it's a gorgeous and very sweet, healthy and eating baby BCI. So torn. *sigh*

- Nakita

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts
    Will you have room for at least a 4' viv within the next couple years, maybe sooner if this snake spurts (along with vivs for the dum and other BCI listed in your signature)? If the answer is yes, go for it. If the answer is no or maybe not, then I wouldn't.
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

Thanks

Re: Need Some Advice About A Possible Trade

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreaker View Post
    Will you have room for at least a 4' viv within the next couple years, maybe sooner if this snake spurts (along with vivs for the dum and other BCI listed in your signature)? If the answer is yes, go for it. If the answer is no or maybe not, then I wouldn't.
    Yeah. The girls are getting 6'x2' Boaphiles within the next year or so. The Monster tail gets hers first though because she's growing much more quickly than the Dum. So I can just stick a 4x2 on top of those when he got up to size. Space isn't an issue as far as those are concerned because they are stackable. The tanks are just annoying space wise and currently that's what I have. I won't have them much longer though.

- Nakita

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Sigh. That's a tough one. I also have a difficult eater and I've often thought about trading her or selling her. I can't do it - she was my first BP and the one that started it all for me and, because she's so sensitive, I would always worry about how she was being cared for and how she was doing if she left me.

However, I know how you feel about this boa. Been there, done that. My suggestion is simple. Get a tub at Walmart for $10. Slap a heat mat on the bottom for about $20, stick it on a hydrofarm t-stat for $30 and you're good to go for only $60. Each of my baby boas did just fine in a similar set up for their entire q/t period - and one did so for over 8 months. Perhaps you already have a spare heat mat or t-stat and you won't even spend that much. I put my tub on the nightstand in our spare bedroom (my quarantine room). It doesn't take up much space. And once he moves out of it, you have a nice q/t tub for the future!

Where there's will there's a way!!
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

Thanks

Re: Need Some Advice About A Possible Trade

Quote Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
    Sigh. That's a tough one. I also have a difficult eater and I've often thought about trading her or selling her. I can't do it - she was my first BP and the one that started it all for me and, because she's so sensitive, I would always worry about how she was being cared for and how she was doing if she left me.

However, I know how you feel about this boa. Been there, done that. My suggestion is simple. Get a tub at Walmart for $10. Slap a heat mat on the bottom for about $20, stick it on a hydrofarm t-stat for $30 and you're good to go for only $60. Each of my baby boas did just fine in a similar set up for their entire q/t period - and one did so for over 8 months. Perhaps you already have a spare heat mat or t-stat and you won't even spend that much. I put my tub on the nightstand in our spare bedroom (my quarantine room). It doesn't take up much space. And once he moves out of it, you have a nice q/t tub for the future!

Where there's will there's a way!!
    That's exactly what I'm worried about with the BP. He's so sensitive and I'm worried someone else won't take care of him as well as I have. I do have a spare heat mat, so I'd just need another hydrofarm and a tub. But while I can basically just trade him the BP for the boa (because he owns a pet store and charges outrageous prices for the snakes so they'd be about the same price and he wouldn't be losing money), I'd have to pay $80 at least for the baby boa if there was no trade. That's a little pricey for a normal...even a pretty one with an awesome personality. He's asking $100...which is why the little guy isn't selling. I dunno. At those prices I may as well just wait for the show in March. But I do really like him...he ate while I was there and he's mite free and healthy. And beautiful. As I said, I'm very torn on the issue.

Thank you guys for the responses so far. My fiancé was no help in this department. She was just like, "they're your pets, do what you want". So bouncing these thoughts off her was pretty useless. Lol. Plus, she knows nothing about snakes, housing and pricing, so this is good.

- Nakita

Thanks
    Hello my name is tim im new to bp.net and i was reading your post. i was in ur postion a couple years back. i had over 20 snakes and a couple beardies. i was offered a tread for the first beardy i ever got for a beautiful adult female sunglow redtail and i thought about it for three months, and finally i came to a dission that is was gonna do it. its been 7 years since i didnt it and i still miss my beardy. i know hes not your first but it sounds like your very attached to him. i know im not giving you much help i guess what im tryin to say is no matter what u do think about it. if you really want the boa id talk to your friend and try to gat him to come down on the price. if he wont do that if you breed often offer him a trade with a new born. if you have any. this way ur not givin up something your attached to.

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    It really depends on how much you care for the ball. It's your decision in the end. My first BP I got as a gift in April of 03' and she was a tiny hatchling. She's a very picky eater but I could never get rid of my 10 year old girl no matter what. That's just how I feel about her. I like boas better than balls and I love my Surinam and my new Nics, but not like I do her.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Actually, $80 isn't really all that bad if you really like the snake and it's healthy. Sure, you can find a normal for less, but is it worth saving only about $40 and maybe not get the one you want? And if his color is exceptional, you might find the genetics will surprise you - he could be a pastel, which although isn't genetic, does lighten and brighten when combined with other morphs.

You can't always put a price on an animal - whether you're buying or selling. If you have a spare heat mat, a tub is negligible, and a hydrofarm t-stat will only run you about $30 off amazon. I'd keep the BP, but go ahead and get the boa. It's almost Christmas! Merry Christmas to you, lol! You deserve him.
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Evenstar For This Useful Post:

WarriorPrincess90 (11-28-2012)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast