Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,623

2 members and 1,621 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

looking to add a boa

ok i have a new 1860/1960 41 quart A.P rack and was thinking of adding a boa im looking for something that i could start out in a smaller tub and then transfer to the rack i would prefer the boa to be able to live out its adult life in my rack if possible. some one suggested a dwarf boa? i have not heard of these and since im fairly new to the game i want to do as much research and gather as much info as i can. so if you have any good links or care sheets for the dwarf boas or if you have any other suggestions on another type of boa i would really appreciate it. i was also thinking of getting something like a red tail boa and putting it in the rack and then switching it to a bigger A.P cage if i do this what is the recommended A.P cage size for a something like a red tail boa i was thinking a t10 would be good but i want to be sure. T.I.A for any help and suggestions

Thanks

looking to add a boa

ok i have a new 1860/1960 41 quart A.P rack and was thinking of adding a boa im looking for something that i could start out in a smaller tub and then transfer to the rack i would prefer the boa to be able to live out its adult life in my rack if possible. some one suggested a dwarf boa? i have not heard of these and since im fairly new to the game i want to do as much research and gather as much info as i can. so if you have any good links or care sheets for the dwarf boas or if you have any other suggestions on another type of boa i would really appreciate it. i was also thinking of getting something like a red tail boa and putting it in the rack and then switching it to a bigger A.P cage if i do this what is the recommended A.P cage size for a something like a red tail boa i was thinking a t10 would be good but i want to be sure. T.I.A for any help and suggestions

Thanks
    Redtail boas are awesome! They come in a great variety of colors like salmon,pastel, and albino and they aren't too hard to care for. Most have great temperaments and they are a really cool show snake. Plus, males get around the same size as a female BP. I'm not sure about what size tub for an adult boa constrictor. This is my juvie redtail boa, his name is Four. He eats frozen thawed small mice every week. This shot is when he was a bit younger, he has grown since.He is such a sweetheart, I'd recommend RTBs to anyone looking for a boa!

Another option could be a Brazilian Rainbow boa. They stay around five feet and they are a great display animal and often they become really tame. They need high humidity and fresh water at all times.
    “You are enough. You are so enough. It is unbelievable how enough you are.”

Thanks

Re: looking to add a boa

Quote Originally Posted by ToriTheBallPython View Post
    Another option could be a Brazilian Rainbow boa. They stay around five feet and they are a great display animal and often they become really tame. They need high humidity and fresh water at all times.

I will second this motion I will add that keeping humidity up isn't as hard as it seems (I decrease ventilation, big water bowel, use humidity-good substrates like 100% mulch or eco-earth, oh and no tank), 75% plus humidity level (I try to aim for 80% just to be safe) and a humid hide.
    0.1 Blood Red Corn Snake (BHB)
    0.1 BRB (Elegant Reptile Images)

Thanks
    Although I am not how well a BRB can live in a rack system.
    0.1 Blood Red Corn Snake (BHB)
    0.1 BRB (Elegant Reptile Images)

Thanks

Re: looking to add a boa

I think a BRB might be in my future, too
    “You are enough. You are so enough. It is unbelievable how enough you are.”

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts
    No boa should live it's whole life in a 41 qt tub. Even male BCI's and "dwarf" subspecies will generally get too large for 41qt. Boas are not balls and, while their general care requirements are similar, they do not do as well in tubs. The smallest size cage you should consider for most any boa is a 4x2x2 or similar size. AP makes some good enclosures - but for a BCI I strongly recommend a T12 or T13 for your adult enclosure. Male BCIs will generally stay around 5-6 feet, but there are some individuals who can easily reach 8 or more feet.

Now if you start with a baby, putting it in a 41qt rack will do just fine for it's first 1-2 years. You CAN grow out a boa in a 41qt tub and it'll do just fine - just don't think that a 41qt will do for it's entire life.

Rainbow boas in particular do NOT do well in a rack system. Tubs are fine, but it should have some height to it. BRBs are semi-arboreal and should have the opportunity to climb. Most boas will, in fact, climb if given the opportunity which is partly why a PVC enclosure is a better setup for them then a rack.

You could get away with a T10 if you choose a male "dwarf" subspecies of BCI such as a Hog Island or Nicaraguan or if you're interested in a different species, a Dumerils is a great choice! A BRB can also do ok in a T10, but I'd recommend a cage with more height to support their nature to climb. Dumerils are ground boas and do not have that propensity.

Incidentally, there is no such thing as a "dwarf boa". Some subspecies of BCI stay smaller than Colombian BCIs, true red tail BCCs, or Argentine BCOs. These subspecies are often part of the insular localities such as Hog Island, Pearl Island, Saboge, Nicaraguan, or Central American subspecies (these "dwarf" localities are all BCIs). These subspecies are often referred to as "dwarf" even though the moniker is somewhat misleading as they really only average slightly smaller than the average BCI. For example, a Colombian BCI will attain lengths of 6-7ft for males and 7-9ft for females and Hog Islands will generally average 5-ish ft for males and 6-7ft for females and many times individuals of any of the "dwarf" subspecies can get much bigger than expected.

Hope this all makes sense! Beware - boas are like potato chipss! You can't have just one.............
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Evenstar For This Useful Post:

05kas05 (11-25-2012),BFE Pets (12-09-2012),Daybreaker (11-25-2012)