Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,809

0 members and 2,809 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: digital therm?

Thanks
    I picked up an Acu-Rite digital thermometer/hydromiter with probe at wal-mart the other day for my new set up. it seems to be acurate as the temp reads right with the house thermastat, and both indoor and out door temp are always with in 0.5* when the unit and probe are next to each other.
    I'll be picking up Sirius's 30gal long tank tomarow and am gona set it up and let it be for a few days to get humidity and temp sorted out.
    any way how do you all go about using the digi therm? mine came with double sided tape, do I mount the unit to the glass on the cool side and mount the probe on the glass on the warm side? or do I just leave it all loose in there.
    personaly leaving it loose kind of concerns me that he may get tangled up in the cord.

Thanks
    i know people who leave it just lying on the substrate. Me, anyhow, i just lean up against the back on the cool side and run the probe cord underneath the substrate and stick the porbe end on the back as close to the bottom as I can get it
    0.1 Regular Ball Python (Xibalba)
    1.0 American Pitbull Terrier (Gandhi)
    0.1 German Shepherd (Bailey)
    1.1 Mixed Rescue Cats (Horus and Manji)

"Walmart is the scum of this great country of ours and is spreading like an infection. Death To Walmart and every corporation like them..."

Thanks
    I took a piece of scotch tape (the clear kind) and taped the probe inside the warm hide about halfway (*this idea was originally from Smulkin) so this way I know exactly what he is feeling in the hide as for the cold one I just set the guage on the floor next to the cool hide because the one I have measures one temp and humidity at the display. So I just prop it up against the back of the tank next to the cool hide. Basically you just want to get the probe as close to the substrate as possible so you can read what they are feeling. I am going to eventually get a suction cup so i can stick the unit to the back rather than propping it up because when Icculus goes cruising he takes it out. I didn't use the tape just because I didn't want marks on my tank later and I knew I would have to take it out to clean the tank walls.
    1.0 Ball Python [Icculus]
    >>>>Looking for a vet?<<<<
    http://www.herpvetconnection.com/
    http://www.arav.org

Thanks
    I lay the unit flat close to the front, run the extra wire under the substrate (actually, over the top for the one in an aquarium), and generally tuck the probe under the entrance to the hide. I don't want to use the double-sided tape because I want to take it out completely when I clean and because it gives me more flexibility to change the setup. If the hide is sturdy, the probe rarely moves more than an inch or two between weekly cleanings.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    thanks for the reply everyone. now I have an idea of how to set up the thermometer.

sadly it will have to wait till next week thoe. Petlands supplyer no longer carries the particular brand of tank they ordered for me, so rather than fill the order with the current brand(same thing. 30 gal long,black trim) they canceled that part of the order on there own. :roll:
    petland went ahead this evening and placed the order for the brand now carried, but I have to wait till next weeks shipment to get it :evil: needless to say Im very upset about this as I was asured it would be in today.
    now poor Sirius has to live in the 10gal one more week