Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,951

3 members and 1,948 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks

Nikon D7000 sale, get it or wait?

I was browsing around Amazon and I saw the Nikon D7000 is on sale for $996 for the body and a 18-105mm lens. (http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-DX-Forma...pr_product_top)

Also it comes with a free camera backpack, sd card and with my amazon credit card I would get 5% back as rewards.

I've been wanting to upgrade from my D80 (which has been a wonderful camera for the last 5 years) but I was going to wait for Nikon to introduce it's new cameras this January-February. (I'm expecting the new models to have upgraded sensors and video processors and hoping for built in wifi) but this deal is just so good I'm having a hard time passing it up.

A big reason I've been wanting to upgrade is since the D700 shoots video. I'd like a video camera so I can shoot sales videos, feeding videos, hatching videos, etc. I know the D7000 is focused on just pictures and the video shooting aspect is very limited. If there are any D7000 owners out there do you think the D7000's video shooting be adequate for what I need?
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts
    You should be fine with what you're wanting. I can try and do a short feeding video on my D7000 real quick to show you what you're in for, not sure I have the time tonight unless I push right now. . .

but yes, it does handle video great, ISO capabilities are great, audio is junk though, will need an external mic but thats about 150 for a nice Rode mic added onto it. If you're coming from the d80, the difference is going to be mind blowing in performance. If you want to stick with Nikon, I'd say go ahead and pull the trigger. You'll be happy you did if you're not interested in spending that extra grand on an FX body like the D600. . .
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to reptileexperts For This Useful Post:

Adam Chandler (11-22-2012)

Thanks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmDb7LChfg

It's processing so give it a few before checking back on it. Maybe even up to another hour. I did not realize but I believe i shot this at ISO3200, so you can see it's a little bit grainy. HD Video upload though. Fresh off the D7000

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to reptileexperts For This Useful Post:

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Nikon D7000 sale, get it or wait?

Quote Originally Posted by reptileexperts View Post
    You should be fine with what you're wanting. I can try and do a short feeding video on my D7000 real quick to show you what you're in for, not sure I have the time tonight unless I push right now. . .

but yes, it does handle video great, ISO capabilities are great, audio is junk though, will need an external mic but thats about 150 for a nice Rode mic added onto it. If you're coming from the d80, the difference is going to be mind blowing in performance. If you want to stick with Nikon, I'd say go ahead and pull the trigger. You'll be happy you did if you're not interested in spending that extra grand on an FX body like the D600. . .
    Thanks for putting up that example video. It seems the D7000 will certain do what I need it to do. I'm not really concerned with the audio quality.

It looks like I'll be selling my D80 and upgrading. I'm very excited.

I'm guessing that the 1080p video uses up space fairly quickly. Amazon also has a 64GB class 10 micro SD card on sale for $39. Are there any problems with using a micro SD card in the newer DSLRs?
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

Thanks
    too many connections to worry with IMO - You can get full size class 10 fairly cheap so I would not worry about it too much. I use 8 Gig cards, the D7000 is limited to 20 minutes at a time. . . so that is the only downfall, This video that is 4min 22 seconds roughly, took up 480 MB at decent resolution. I'll do this more often and probalby switch back and forth between the D7000 and the canon, didn't take much time to do.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to reptileexperts For This Useful Post: