Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,989

1 members and 2,988 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I am considering purchasing my own herp and have considered a leopard gecko. I very much appreciate everyone's advice. I would like to know what I would need, also approximately how big do they get, do they like to be handled. I have become fond of handling our snakes and would like a 4 legged reptile that I could hold as well. Any and all advice will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Thanks

Cheap, non-toxic disinfectant

Leopard geckos are pretty cool. Never owned one but hear that they like o be handled. Don't hold me to that. I have handled a few at the reptile shows I went to. But I would say go with a beardie they are so much fun. Good luck on whatever you may choose.
    What would life be without my ball pythons and my beardie.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I have considered beardies as well my mind is not completely made up yet. I think that they are both adorable.
    0.3 Leopard Gecko (Cricket, Princess, Kimberly) 0.1 Cat (Meechie) 1.1 kids and a hubby who has 1.0 red tail boa (Jay) 1.0 ball python (Silent Bob) and my daughter has 0.0.1 Bahama Anole (Liz) and 0.0.1 White Lined Gecko (Boots)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Is he gonna sleep in our room?
    Tiger is Here
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/

1 Red Tail Boa - Jay
    1 Ball Python - Silent Bob
    1 Coastal Carpet Python - Berber
    1 Spoiled princess feline - Meechie
    2 Stinky Rotten Kids
    1 Beautiful wife
    Rest in Peace Amy & Nanners

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MacWin
    Is he gonna sleep in our room?
    LOL!

I imagine when Marla sees this thread, she'll also suggest Crested Geckos as an alternative, too. Good luck making up your mind...they're all very special in their own ways. I only have a beardie, so can't offer any direct comments on the others...but if you have any beardie questions, I'll be happy to answer them for you as best I can.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    You can check out our gecko care sheet for some info - Leopards are great, I may be getting some cresties once I get my own place beardies are cool too. Jeff would probably know a lot about this and Marla probably does too. Sorry I can't be more help!
    this may help for the leps
    http://www.leopardgecko.com/emcare.html
    this may help for the beardies (also ask JLC about those)
    http://www.dachiu.com/care/abeard.html
    1.0 Ball Python [Icculus]
    >>>>Looking for a vet?<<<<
    http://www.herpvetconnection.com/
    http://www.arav.org

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanks for the links Jonah lots of interesting reading. I am so torn.
    0.3 Leopard Gecko (Cricket, Princess, Kimberly) 0.1 Cat (Meechie) 1.1 kids and a hubby who has 1.0 red tail boa (Jay) 1.0 ball python (Silent Bob) and my daughter has 0.0.1 Bahama Anole (Liz) and 0.0.1 White Lined Gecko (Boots)

Thanks
    Leopards are awesome lizards, but for more hands-on experience I would recommend a bearded dragon. They seem to take to handling better (in my experience) and will require you as a keeper to learn some of the finer points of maintaining a desert-dwelling species. By the same token, their array of social behaviors & docile, easygoing nature are a great reward for the care they require.

We've recently started expanding our beardie colony and interacting with these lizards has been nothing but a joy on a daily basis.

Just my $.02

K
    Kara L. Norris
    The Blood Cell - BloodPythons.com
    Selectively-bred bloods & short-tailed pythons
    Quality is our only filter.

Banned
    Thanks
    The GodFather is gonna hate me for this, but click the link in my sig and read my care guide through. It should answer all of your questions.

Thanks
    Judy's right, I will suggest you consider crested geckos. Cresties, leos, and beardies are all good pets and can all be handled and don't have too challenging husbandry requirements. I personally think that the crested geckos and bearded dragons are more entertaining to watch than the leopard geckos, but I am sure some would disagree on that. If you check under Rhacodactylus (just below here), you'll see a recent thread regarding what is required in caring for crestie. Jeff has already given you a leo caresheet link and Jonah's given you links for both leos and beardies, so my suggestion would be to read those and consider the husbandry and space requirements, financial investment required, and what you're looking for in a lizard, then come back and ask questions that you have at that point.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!