Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,566

1 members and 2,565 guests
Lixx,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I got a little Opossum-STO

So I have been Opossumless for about 6 months now. I found my paralyzed Va. Opossum had died in her sleep one morning. She was 3.5 years old and had a few strokes or seizures. They only live to be about 4 years old in captivity, so she was an old lady.

I'm not in the position to take in a non releasable Opossum with our one bedroom apartment and too many things to climb on, but I found someone local who is breeding Short Tail Opossums. Perfect size with a big Opossum personality.

He is so tiny, it is almost impossible to get him out of his pouch to hold freehand without him being afraid. So he has a bonding pouch that I wear around, and I put him in a sock when I hold him to give treats. Their hearing is very sensitive, so the pouch allows him to get used to all the regular moving around noises. He is more comfortable and it's easier for me to hold onto him. He is the size of a small mouse and FAST. He will mature to about the size of a hamster.

EDIT: Photobucket is being SO stupid right now. Enjoy some pictures of my dog and rats instead! I will correct the images when my blood pressure returns to normal in the morning.

Angela

Thanks
    That's such a cute little guy do they like to hang out up side down like the big guys do? I've heard about keepin opossum as pets but never knew someone who did. Not that we know each other but I'm able to talk to you at least haha
    Normals 1.3
    Spider .1
    Carpet Python .1
    Dog APBT .1

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Oppusums kinda freak me out. Theyre creepy lil critters lol. Yours is cute though now.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 689 Posts
    I absolutely adore the pygmy opossums (not sure of exact species name. But I see them in pet stores now and then) when I worked at Petland we had 2, I used to carry the girl around in my shirt pocket while working. She was an absolute dollbaby. I finally decided to take her home and when I came into work that day she had been sold not an hour beforehand. I was so upset

Your baby is a cutie!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Hey! It appears Photobucket got it's stuff together last night. Forgot to mention, his name is "PJ" for Pouchless John, as this species does not have a pouch. The picture of him in my hand is a misrepresentation so far to how he normally is. He was actually letting me pet his belly after I gave him some roaches.

Quote Originally Posted by carlson View Post
    That's such a cute little guy do they like to hang out up side down like the big guys do? I've heard about keepin opossum as pets but never knew someone who did. Not that we know each other but I'm able to talk to you at least haha
    Hanging upside down is a no for two reasons. The Short Tail Opossum's tail is non weight bearing even though it is prehensile. They use it more as another hand in terms of balance, security, and bringing nesting material back to their nest. They will actually grasp it in their tail and drag the material along.
    Va. Opossums do not hang upside down by their tail to sleep or otherwise. That is an old wives tale. Va. Opossums also use their tail for balance, security while climbing, and they can hook the tail around something to help lower themselves to the ground (think toddler getting out of a chair) because they can't jump.

Mike- If you ever saw a baby Va. Opossum, you would be in love! There is nothing cuter and they are generally very docile. Lots of show because they are horrible at defending themselves.

Tiffany- Aww I would have cried I am sure! I am excited to see how friendly and bonded with me he will be as an adult. I am not getting my hopes up too high because my Va. Opossum was not bonded nor did she care who did anything with her. That's why the tummy scratches surprised me as it was very un opossum like.

Angela

BPnet Senior Member WarriorPrincess90's Avatar
    Thanks
    He is so freaking cute!!! Congrats on that adorable little fellow! Where is that species from? He's so tiny!

- Nakita

BPnet Senior Member TheSnakeEye's Avatar
    Thanks
    I've looking into one of these for a while. Are they affectionate with their handlers?
    Instagram: @NexusReptiles
    Faunaclassifieds: spujol26
    BLBC: spujol26
    www.facebook.com/TheSnakeEye07

Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 689 Posts

Re: I got a little Opossum-STO

Quote Originally Posted by aldebono View Post
    Hey! It appears Photobucket got it's stuff together last night. Forgot to mention, his name is "PJ" for Pouchless John, as this species does not have a pouch. The picture of him in my hand is a misrepresentation so far to how he normally is. He was actually letting me pet his belly after I gave him some roaches.

Hanging upside down is a no for two reasons. The Short Tail Opossum's tail is non weight bearing even though it is prehensile. They use it more as another hand in terms of balance, security, and bringing nesting material back to their nest. They will actually grasp it in their tail and drag the material along.
    Va. Opossums do not hang upside down by their tail to sleep or otherwise. That is an old wives tale. Va. Opossums also use their tail for balance, security while climbing, and they can hook the tail around something to help lower themselves to the ground (think toddler getting out of a chair) because they can't jump.

Mike- If you ever saw a baby Va. Opossum, you would be in love! There is nothing cuter and they are generally very docile. Lots of show because they are horrible at defending themselves.

Tiffany- Aww I would have cried I am sure! I am excited to see how friendly and bonded with me he will be as an adult. I am not getting my hopes up too high because my Va. Opossum was not bonded nor did she care who did anything with her. That's why the tummy scratches surprised me as it was very un opossum like.
    That's very interesting! The little girl I fell for I guess was somewhat bonded to me then? She always came scurrying from her hide pouch when I clicked and put my hand in the cage, licked my hand profusely then hopped in. She would hold onto my badge cord necklace like one of those old clip on furries. None of the other employees could handle her like that, she would just stay hidden and hiss. I just assumed there was certain people she liked / didn't like. I named her noodle and think about her often, even though she was never actually "mine". I hope PJ bonds with you! Belly scratching is a great start for sure!

Thanks
    They are cute, but are also vicious hunters. I have seen them destroy live mice for a meal. Kind of crazy.
    ~TJ~ Visit me on facebook! or Tweet me @MBReptiles

The Favorites:
    Ball Pythons Western Hognose
    1.0 Lithium Blaze
    1.0 Bee
    1.0 Spotnose
    1.0 Enchi
    0.1 Super Cinnamon
    0.2 Pastel
    0.3 Cinnamon
    0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Spotnose
    0.1 Het Hypo
    0.2 Het Pied
    1.1 Red Albino
    1.1 Orange Albino
    1.0 Albino Het Snow
    0.1 Het Snow
    1.0 Anaconda Het Albino
    0.1 Anaconda
    1.1 Het Pink Pastel
    0.5 Het Albino
    1.0 Het Snow
    0.1 Red Phase
    0.1 Pink Phase
    0.1 Green Phase

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: I got a little Opossum-STO

I think she definitely was bonded to you then Tiffany! That is really what I am wanting with my guy, but they are strictly solitary in nature so I don't want to get my hopes up too much. I am really working on him trusting me and that with the giant hand comes yummy treats. He has definitely relaxed since I got him two weeks ago with visible progress.

Nakita- They are originally from Brazil. They were imported in the 90's as lab animals and since then Brazil has closed its borders to exports.

Quote Originally Posted by that_dc5 View Post
    I've looking into one of these for a while. Are they affectionate with their handlers?
    Tiffany's account says yes. And I hope my guy will be as well. I was prepared to have the standard Opossum "indifference" but will be delighted if he does become affectionate and bond with me. Like I said before, they are naturally solitary and you have to house them singly.
    Make sure you do a lot of research on what to feed them. I am very picky about what my opossums eat and try to provide as low processed as possible.

Angela

11. The Following User Says Thank You to aldebono For This Useful Post:

WarriorPrincess90 (11-20-2012)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast