Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,948

0 members and 2,948 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Rant about work

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts

Rant about work

Okay, I need to start off by saying I am currently working as a contractor, I am not employed by the company.

If the past year has taught me anything, it's that I HATE being a contractor. I fail to see why anyone would want to be a contractor. You don't get the same respect as a normal employee and it suck, big time!

This is my second contract job of the year and this one is horrible. The first one wasn't so bad, but with this one I'm going to start looking for a new job soon.

I keep getting all the crappy tasks that no one else wants to do. I can handle that normally, but it's really starting to wear me down. Being told to clean up someone else's work because they don't want to deal with it is boring, but I might be able to grin and bare it if I wasn't being so micro managed.

I feel like I am whining here and maybe I am, but if you are going to give me crappy tasks, at least leave me alone to do them. I can't write a 10 page paper in a day especially if it's detailing someone else's work. It took me 2-3 days to write the same type of paper for the one application I was able to program on my own and I knew what I was think when I structured the program.

On top of all this crap, I have been working more than I have been billing them for, but if I get caught on facebook chatting with a friend I haven't had time to talk to outside of work, I get yelled at.

I get that I shouldn't be on facebook during the day, but I am getting my work done and putting in extra hours I'm not billing them for. Is it really so bad when you look at it like that?
    Last edited by Kinra; 11-15-2012 at 06:07 PM.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks
    This sucks! I'd bill them for all the hours, and make sure to stay off Facebook. And since you're not an employee when you leave and find another job I'd tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    No its not, but they wont see it like that lol.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 1,769 Posts
    I'm also a contracted employee. I've been here for 4 years and I don't feel like I get taken as seriously as some others. We're constantly told the same thing.. "It could be worse".. or "There are people out there who would kill for your job. You should feel lucky". I get that after complaining about how after surviving multiple layoff seasons due to my skill, nothing changes. I don't get a cool raise, no chance for becoming an employee, and no other perks. Hopefully I'll be moving up soon into a full time position. I'm not holding my breath for it though. You should look for something better. Every time a co-worker leaves on their own accord, they find something better.

Sucks because the people who yell at me for using youtube and facebook are at their desks right now on those sites AND more non-work related sites.. Since I've been here a while, I'm comfortable enough to defend myself whenever they call me out in a rude way for clicking over to facebook for a second. Unfortunately, they're above me, and they will "pull rank" or go off on a power trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by reixox View Post
    BPs are like pokemon. you tell yourself you're not going to get sucked in. but some how you just gotta catch'em all.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts
    My advice:

Get off facebook.

Put in a focused work day start to finish.

Be professional.

Bill them for all the hours you work.

They won't value the work you do if you aren't charging them enough. If they are micro-managing you and eating up time, bill them for it. If they keep costing themselves more money, eventually things will let off.
    Last edited by mainbutter; 11-15-2012 at 06:19 PM.