Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,003

0 members and 3,003 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member meowmeowkazoo's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Ben Siegel Reptiles, wow what is going on?

Quote Originally Posted by BrandiR View Post
    Woah! I wasn't in any way implying that he's being malicious! My point is that from an outsider's perspective (and I made clear that I'm an "outsider"), he has what looks like a cult following.

Saying, "he's just a Guy," was my way of saying that no one should make assumptions either way, in his favor or against him, based on his name.

I am sympathetic to peoples' issues, mental or physical. I didn't bring it up because it's alleged, not because I don't care.

The Kool-Aid thing, well that's just how I am. I don't really have an explanation for that.
    I can see how it would appear to be a cult following to a one snake lady, but that is not the case for most of us here.

He is a well known and well respected member of the community. His story is getting more attention because he is so well known, but any other respected member of the community would receive the benefit of the doubt as well (at least, I would hope so).

He is not being given a pass because he is "famous" here, it's just because he's done right by a lot of people.
    [Python regius]
    1.0 Black Butter Pinstripe (Amazeballs), 1.0 Pastel Butter Leopard (Thunderbeeper)
    0.1 Spider (Charlotte), 0.1 Leopard (Spot), 0.1 Pastel (Buttercup), Fire Sugar (Abaddon), Crystal (Opalescence)

[Python brongersmai]
    1.1 T+ Albino (Kushiel & Carmilla)

[Boa imperator]
    1.0 Hypo 100% Het Leopard/66% Het Albino (Darcy)
    0.1 66% Het Leopard/Albino (Gabby)

[Colubrids]
    0.1 Cave-dwelling Rat Snakes (Betty Spaghetti)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meowmeowkazoo For This Useful Post:

Anatopism (11-15-2012),BrandiR (11-15-2012),wolfy-hound (11-15-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by meowmeowkazoo View Post
    I can see how it would appear to be a cult following to a one snake lady, but that is not the case for most of us here.

He is a well known and well respected member of the community. His story is getting more attention because he is so well known, but any other respected member of the community would receive the benefit of the doubt as well (at least, I would hope so).

He is not being given a pass because he is "famous" here, it's just because he's done right by a lot of people.

I completely understand, thank you for the explanation.

But what about all the people who lost their jobs? Aren't they worthy of respect? And maybe they didn't even really lose them. There is some speculation on the FB threads that they weren't really fired.

And what about the people questioning whether they will get animals they've paid for, who are being met with, "Lay off, you'll get them eventually!"

I'm sympathetic...to EVERYONE involved. I guess that's what I'm saying.
    Adversity does not build character, it reveals it

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BrandiR For This Useful Post:

SugarFox03 (11-15-2012)

Thanks

But what about all the people who lost their jobs? Aren't they worthy of respect? And maybe they didn't even really lose them. There is some speculation on the FB threads that they weren't really fired.

And what about the people questioning whether they will get animals they've paid for, who are being met with, "Lay off, you'll get them eventually!"

I wonder some of those things too. As far as we know they did lose their jobs (according to the one employee who has posted here). I think it is very likely that people will get the animals they have paid for, but there will unquestionably be a delay.

This isn't how I would have handled things in Ben's shoes, but he's been under a lot of pressure. He had a customer die during a roach-eating contest earlier this year, and another customer take advantage of him by paying $100 for an animal worth $1000, and then never paying the rest.

And as others have mentioned, relationships can affect you deeply.

My personal opinion is that Ben is having a bit of a meltdown. He might change his mind about firing people at a later time, and he might not. I believe he will follow through with any purchases that have been made, but I personally would not purchase from him until all of this has calmed down. There's no telling how long the delay will be for those that have already paid for their animals.
    [Python regius]
    1.0 Black Butter Pinstripe (Amazeballs), 1.0 Pastel Butter Leopard (Thunderbeeper)
    0.1 Spider (Charlotte), 0.1 Leopard (Spot), 0.1 Pastel (Buttercup), Fire Sugar (Abaddon), Crystal (Opalescence)

[Python brongersmai]

[Boa imperator]

[Colubrids]

Thanks
    I would like to extend my regrets and sympathies to the employees and other victims of what appears to be a very messy divorce situation. I hope that you guys get your job situation sorted out soon.
    [Python regius]

[Python brongersmai]

[Boa imperator]

[Colubrids]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 689 Posts
    Understood Brandi, just wanted to clarify the reasoning behind the support. People tend to give "big guys" more leeway and not jump to a side because of reputation. Once someone has the reputation of good guy, people WANT to believe them. They trust them, and the last thing anyone wants is to feel as if their trust was wrongly placed. That would be the cult like following you speak of.

The majority of people will admit once there is evidence one way or the other. There will always be those few, who will hold on to their cup of koolaid no matter how many tests come up positive for poison. It comes with the "fame", die hard fans etc.

I wasn't sure if you were not mentioning the possible breakdown because it was alleged, that you missed it, or that you didn't buy it. I apologize for jumping the gun on that. No matter how many times it happens, I never learn from the mistakes of assumptions. Hard headed I guess

Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 689 Posts

I'm slow and on my phone...y'all post too fast! Anyways...

Being sympathetic to everyone involved isn't easy. People want someone to blame. But sometimes, there isn't someone to blame. (Not saying ben didnt screw up, but if it comes to light he did in fact suffer and mental breakdown...well) do we blame stacey for leaving like she did? Ben for not getting help when he needed it?

Melody stated that the paid for animals will be shipped, possibly as soon as next week. The employees who lost their jobs might very well have them back soon. But maybe not, and that does suck. All of this blame game is a moot point until Ben admits to a breakdown. If he denys it, well there's a whole other thread on who is to blame for the crappy HR and CS.

I feel bad for everyone in this mess...the employees, the buyers, ben and Stacey. I just dislike people jumping on the blame wagon before evidence or facts are clear.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RoseyReps For This Useful Post:

Anatopism (11-15-2012)

BPnet Senior Member iCandiBallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 829 Posts
    this thread proves just how much ppl really have nothing better to do with their time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    Malcolm S.
    Premier Ball Python Mutations

Like Us on Face Book or Visit our website

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iCandiBallPythons For This Useful Post:

eatgoodfood (11-15-2012),OctagonGecko729 (11-15-2012),rms2005 (11-15-2012),wolfy-hound (11-15-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RoseyReps View Post
    I'm slow and on my phone...y'all post too fast! Anyways...

Being sympathetic to everyone involved isn't easy. People want someone to blame. But sometimes, there isn't someone to blame. (Not saying ben didnt screw up, but if it comes to light he did in fact suffer and mental breakdown...well) do we blame stacey for leaving like she did? Ben for not getting help when he needed it?

Melody stated that the paid for animals will be shipped, possibly as soon as next week. The employees who lost their jobs might very well have them back soon. But maybe not, and that does suck. All of this blame game is a moot point until Ben admits to a breakdown. If he denys it, well there's a whole other thread on who is to blame for the crappy HR and CS.

I feel bad for everyone in this mess...the employees, the buyers, ben and Stacey. I just dislike people jumping on the blame wagon before evidence or facts are clear.
    QFE

Melody (I consider her a friend...not to mention a very helpful animal/reptile lady) did lose her job...I don't want to say anymore than that...but I hope for everyone involved that this gets off the airwaves and dealt with privately and professionally. All I can ask is to think of everyone involved Ben, ex(?) wife, and all the employees caught in the middle who are now jobless in this already incredibly hard economic time.

Registered User visceralrepulsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    I did state I hope everyone involved comes out of this unmarred. I'm not a cult follower, I'm just an empathetic human being, who having been through my own mental breakdowns, mental illness, and other tribulations has maybe more empathy for Ben than some might. Take the name Ben, replace it with Joe Schmoe, and you would no less have what I would inevitably say about anyone being said to be suffering mental issues that I don't personally know. As a community we should all want and try to preserve this passion, and the good people involved.

As for the issues regarding his business, liability, etc.- If Ben is in fact suffering a mental instability, he can't be held liable for much of, if any of this, until specified he is not delusional. And saying that if he suggests he isn't unstable he will get flack, is a bit off to me. Most anyone if suffering from such a mental breakdown that they experience psychosis, paranoid or other types of delusions, etc, often do not recognize they are actually experiencing said issue. Their actions or words are not always reliable either, as often someone with such an issue is not necessarily outspoken about what's actually going on in their head, just as we wouldn't feel the need to discuss our inner dialogue that we have with ourselves either.

Right now all we can and are doing is speculating. That being said, we have to leave room to many, many possibilities.
    ​"Verily I have often laughed at weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

14. The Following User Says Thank You to visceralrepulsion For This Useful Post:

foxoftherose (11-15-2012)

Thanks
    I've been through a fairly catastrophic mental breakdown before, and believe me, this is 'normal'. I can't say that I approve of his actions, but I definitely understand why he's acting the way he is. Sometimes, after a certain amount of pain and stress, you just lose all ability to make sound judgements and strike out at those close to you. I feel bad for everyone involved, and hope that this will be straightened out as soon as possible.
    1.0.0 Pastel Ball Python "William"

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foxoftherose For This Useful Post:

LotusCorvus (11-15-2012),Rogue628 (11-15-2012)

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast