Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,867

4 members and 2,863 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Photo Request: Adult photos of your % SD Retics

I'm looking for photos of your Retics that contain some percentage of Super Dwarf, since I know the size can be so variable. I'm also curious about how the different percentages of SD affect the overall body mass - do they tend to be more slender, as well as shorter, or does it more affect the length of the animal? I'd like to see retics (2 years or older) with varying percentages of SD, and hear what everyone has to say about their particular animals

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts

This is my male SD Tiger Retic, 50% F1 @ 6 years old. He is somewhere between 8 and 9' currently (he was 8.5' at last measure, but has shed since then), and I would say no thicker than my largest adult BP girl when it comes to girth. 25% will be expected to be slightly larger obviously, but still considerablly smaller than a mainland thats pure since most people breed 50% to Dwarf and not mainland anyways. . . But yes this is a highly variable growth rate.

Close up of the head

I can post more pictures later this week of him since he's my only adult, my other SD is only a few months old and is still smaller than a new born mainland, she is a 50% SD Tiger F3! So I don't expect her to get larger than 7-8' max.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    100% super dwarf female at almost 5 years old and 6 ft long.. You can see they have very different heads (shape and size) than the mainlands or even dwarf percentages.

She is unfortunately no longer with me. I just traded her for three beautiful yearling central American Nicaraguan boas.

Last edited by Foschi Exotic Serpents; 11-12-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Thanks
    Gorgeous animals guys, thanks for sharing

Thanks
    Nice snakes, I've been thinking about a second larger snake to add to the collection and I like retic alot but a normal is too big do the dwarfs act about the same? I'd feel comfortable with one maxing out at 9-10.
    Normals 1.3
    Spider .1
    Carpet Python .1
    Dog APBT .1

Thanks
    I've been told to expect my 25% SD to reach anywhere from 12-18 feet. Haha. HUGE range... I am downsizing my collection quite a bit, and initially had put my girl up for sale, but I took her out to hold her again and was like 'awwww you're too pretty and cute ' so I'm holding on to her. She just has such a perfect temperament and is really gorgeous. I'm no longer going to be breeding my own rats, so we'll see how big she ends up getting and how manageable she'll be for now

Keeping only my balls that are essential to my most important breeding plans, my Carpet, Mr. Hognose, and the retic for now.
    Last edited by Anatopism; 11-14-2012 at 08:48 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Anatopism For This Useful Post:

reptileexperts (11-14-2012)

Thanks
    It can really depend. As you can tell from mine, even the pure SDs can stay short but have some good thickness to them. At the same time, I've seen low percentage SDs get some good length to them but stay rather thin. If yours does that, she should stay manageable for you as long as you continue to handle her regularly.

Thanks

Re: Photo Request: Adult photos of your % SD Retics

How much did she weigh when you traded her?
    BPs...
    2.3 Normals, 1.1 Pastels, 0.1 Spider, 1.1 100% het albinos, 1.1 albinos, 1.0 Mojave, 1.1 het pieds, 1.0 lesser, 0.1 pinstripe, 0.1 YB

Other reptilian goodness...

0.1 black motley corn, 0.1 western hognose

Wait, you have how many snakes???

Thanks
    Oh I have no idea what she weighed. I hadn't weighed her in a long time. I just know she was quite chunky but never got any longer than 6ft.

Do you know what the hatch weight of yours was? The guy I traded her to had a clutch of SDs x jamp that hatched out smaller than the average ball python hatchling. The eggs in the clutch were less than half the size of normal Retic eggs also. If you knew this info, it might help you determine a little better how big yours might get.

Thanks

Re: Photo Request: Adult photos of your % SD Retics

Quote Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post
    Oh I have no idea what she weighed. I hadn't weighed her in a long time. I just know she was quite chunky but never got any longer than 6ft.

Do you know what the hatch weight of yours was? The guy I traded her to had a clutch of SDs x jamp that hatched out smaller than the average ball python hatchling. The eggs in the clutch were less than half the size of normal Retic eggs also. If you knew this info, it might help you determine a little better how big yours might get.
    I don't actually remember what her hatch weight was.. might be on her papers once I find them. I'm trying to think back to any pure SDs I've seen or held at local shows, and I know she was bigger than them, but now I'll have to check at the next show for comparisons

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast