Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 579

1 members and 578 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Thinking of getting a retic!

I have been wanting to get either a dwarf burm or a dwarf retic for awhile now (I live in an apartment and don't have room for a full size one at the moment). As I was looking through the craigslist listings for snakes in my area I came across a listing for a super dwarf retic python for 400 dollars. So I had a few questions...

How big do super dwarf retics get?
    Is 400 a good price?
    I already own four snakes (2 boas, 2 ball pythons). Is the care that goes into having a super dwarf retic going to be any harder then what I already deal with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Nicaraguan boa
    0.1 Red Tail Boa
    1.0 Spider Ball Python
    0.0.1 Normal Ball Python

Thanks
    Super dwarf females get around 8ft. Males smaller. Whether or not the price is good depends on the age/size. If it's a hatchling, I'd look elsewhere. I'd also make 100% sure that it's actually a super dwarf. Other "dwarf" get significantly larger, and super dwarf crosses can vary a lot in size. If you really want one, I'd go to a respected breeder and not purchase something off Craigslist.

The size of an SD retic is fairly comparable to that of a large common boa, but the attitude is much different. SD retics have the same strong feeding response as their larger relatives. They're also much more high-strung, and require more work than a boa. They're fantastic snakes and I love them, but I'd say there a step up from boas.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts
    Do not buy a SD Retic off of craigslist unless you can see the parents, verify the genetics, and ask for references. 400 is about the average price right now for a Pure SD, but there are so many places you can get verifiable snakes from. www.traviskubes.com www.bobclark.com www.prehistoricpets.com www.constrictorsunlimited.com just to name a few!

SD retics only get about 4-6' if they are one of the smaller isles and kept pure. MOST lines have been bred back to Jampea Dwarfs (SuperJamps) or back to mainland to get certain mutations (50% SD, etc).

They do better with higher cages as opposed to lower, they need a constantly high humidity to stay healthy (around 75%). They do well in warm cages, but still need a cool side though they may only hit it once to twice a day briefly. And if you provide them with a large enough water bowel, they will enjoy it with a good soaking.

They require nearly daily cleaning as they tend to pee . . . a lot. When an adult goes to the bathroom in the cage it will be like nothing you've ever experienced. So it's important to be able to have access to clean substrate constantly to avoid bacteria growth.

Here are a few shots of my 50% SD's . . .

Month old 50% SD Tiger Reticulated Python, female

6 year old 50% SD Tiger Reticulated Python, male, he is just over 8.5' and is feeding on Jumbo Rats every 10 days.

Female again (Notated because I am just pulling this off of my website).

Feel free to PM me any questions. You can also talk to Simple Man on this forum. He's working with Pure SD lines, I'm only working with SuperJamp morphs and Pure Dwarfs.

Cheers
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

Thanks
    Thanks for all the info! I defiantly think I am going to get just not one after Craigslist. With all the breeders you listed off with SD then I am sure I can find something I like. Yours are beautiful by the way. Seeing the pictures just makes me want one more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Nicaraguan boa
    0.1 Red Tail Boa
    1.0 Spider Ball Python
    0.0.1 Normal Ball Python