Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,886

1 members and 2,885 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Guns

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts

Big Guns

Well, aside from all the work going on with the snakes this year, I have decided that it was no better time than the current to finally put some ground behind me on my AR15 Build from a base AR. Here's what I got, here's what I did. So for all you Gun lovers out there (Sorry California!) here we go:

Base Model AR15: Windham Weaponry SRC 5.56

Stock Upgrades: Magpul ACS non-milspec w/ Enhanced buttpad, UTG QuadRail Pro, Magpul MIAD (MIssion ADaptable) Grip

Enhancementsmag 30rd Mags, Pmag Coupler, Pmag Ranger plate, Magpul BAD (Battery assisting device) Lever, 511 2 point Vtac Sling

Optics: Vortex VMX3 Swing to Side 3x Magnifier, EoTech XPS2-Z (Zombie Stopper), Magpul MBUS Gen2

Accuracy: 5 rounds @ 100yds 1/2" Grouping. Hornady Target rounds, FMJ 55g.

(Absolute Cowitness with and without Magnifier)

(Magnified EoTech)

(Non-magnified EoTech)

And just for fun, my 9mm Walther I have setup for home defense. Mounted with a TLR-1 by Streamlight, and green trijicon night sights.

Cheers!
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reptileexperts For This Useful Post:

BleedingOrange36 (11-04-2012),decensored (11-05-2012),HypoLyf (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    Nice! I would suggest though for home defense you should upgrade to something with real stopping power. Such as a .40 or .45. 9m is not much of a defense weapon. It doesn't have very much stopping power.
    Lotsa Balls and more

http://www.tessadasexotics.com/

Thanks
    have an XDs .45 that I use as my carry weapon. The walther just always stays at home in a safe spot :-)

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

BPnet Veteran Jonas@Balls2TheWall's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Big Guns

Quote Originally Posted by TessadasExotics View Post
    Nice! I would suggest though for home defense you should upgrade to something with real stopping power. Such as a .40 or .45. 9m is not much of a defense weapon. It doesn't have very much stopping power.
    I will respectfully disagree with you on this subject. 9mm has plenty stopping power, not to mention more rounds and easier follow up shots. I have converted all my pistols to 9mm. Considering I can afford to practice more often, my shot placement should be considerably better than some one with a .45 that never leaves the safe. Believe me when I tell you that a 9mm on target has much more stopping power than a .45 that missed. Most people who say 9mm lacks stopping power have probably never been shot by one. I am not bashing .45 or .40, they are great rounds, I am only defending 9mm.
    Last edited by Jonas@Balls2TheWall; 11-04-2012 at 06:25 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jonas@Balls2TheWall For This Useful Post:

GummiBear (11-04-2012),Mft62485 (11-05-2012),Ridinandreptiles (11-05-2012)

Thanks
    I will also strongely disagree about 9mm not being enough.
    Since I personally know the man from this article and work with him daily and a 9 is what he suggested and I bought for the wifes CW and home defense a few years ago.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/C...146467205.html
    1.1 Het Pied
    0.1 Pastel
    0.1 Butter
    0.1 Black Pastel
    1.0 Pinstripe
    1.1 BCI Het Albino
    2.0 Australian Labradoodle
    1.0 Bull Weiner

Thanks

it's not the size that matters, it's the skill of the user. with the right skills even a small caliber would do the job. besides for home defense it doesn't take much to scare someone away.

1.0 albino
    0.1 black pastel 66% het. albino
    1.0 cinny

Thanks
    22 is enough if you place the shot strategically and accurately. But yes 9mm is plenty. .40 is better and .45 is great but you need to be able to stay on target. I shoot about 50-100 rounds of .45 per trip to the range because I carry it so much. Better to be prepared.

Registered User BleedingOrange36's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reptileexperts View Post
    Well, aside from all the work going on with the snakes this year, I have decided that it was no better time than the current to finally put some ground behind me on my AR15 Build from a base AR. Here's what I got, here's what I did. So for all you Gun lovers out there (Sorry California!) here we go:

Base Model AR15: Windham Weaponry SRC 5.56

Stock Upgrades: Magpul ACS non-milspec w/ Enhanced buttpad, UTG QuadRail Pro, Magpul MIAD (MIssion ADaptable) Grip

Enhancementsmag 30rd Mags, Pmag Coupler, Pmag Ranger plate, Magpul BAD (Battery assisting device) Lever, 511 2 point Vtac Sling

Optics: Vortex VMX3 Swing to Side 3x Magnifier, EoTech XPS2-Z (Zombie Stopper), Magpul MBUS Gen2

Accuracy: 5 rounds @ 100yds 1/2" Grouping. Hornady Target rounds, FMJ 55g.

(Absolute Cowitness with and without Magnifier)

(Magnified EoTech)

(Non-magnified EoTech)

And just for fun, my 9mm Walther I have setup for home defense. Mounted with a TLR-1 by Streamlight, and green trijicon night sights.

Cheers!
    Wow!! That is a beauty!!
    I also use a 9mm for home defense. When I lived out in las Vegas It was also my carry weapon. Granted rounds were so cheap, I could afford to shoot 150-500 rounds weekly. I wouldn't be able to do that with .45acp. Having so much trigger time allowed me to hone in on shot placement. Either way... 9mm or .45acp center mass.... Both tend to stop whatever is coming at you.
    My next pistol will be a Kimber 1911 tactical carry pro though.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BleedingOrange36 For This Useful Post:

reptileexperts (11-05-2012)

BPnet Senior Member Royal Hijinx's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,155 Posts

Very cool stuff!

What do you mean sorry California? While there are some silly rules here, I still built a legal AR and I have other guns, so we are THAT oppressed .

Quote Originally Posted by JaGv View Post
    it's not the size that matters, it's the skill of the user. with the right skills even a small caliber would do the job. besides for home defense it doesn't take much to scare someone away.
    Skill of the shooter (unless you are a professional) generally disappears under real stress. So for home defense, a shotgun is likely the best bet. Other than that you should just be very proficient with whatever you have. Personally, I keep a Glock 9mm with the same light setup in my nightstand. I also have a 1911, but it does not have a light mount so the Glock is the go to gun.

Registered User BleedingOrange36's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jinx667 View Post
    Very cool stuff!

What do you mean sorry California? While there are some silly rules here, I still built a legal AR and I have other guns, so we are THAT oppressed .

Skill of the shooter (unless you are a professional) generally disappears under real stress. So for home defense, a shotgun is likely the best bet. Other than that you should just be very proficient with whatever you have. Personally, I keep a Glock 9mm with the same light setup in my nightstand. I also have a 1911, but it does not have a light mount so the Glock is the go to gun.
    It should be "Sorry New Jersey"
    Both of these AR's a way beyond illegal in NJ.
    There are not adjustable stocks allowed, no flash suppressor, 15rd capacity, the list goes on. We are only allowed 2 "Evil Features" they consider a removable magazine an evil feature, and also the pistol grip..... Yea hoping to once again move out of this state I call home.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast