Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,544

0 members and 2,544 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Good deal

Thanks

Good deal

I just spoke with a young man who wants to sell me a 4 1/2 ' red tail female for 75.00 is that a good price and how big does a female red tail need to be to breed.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
    0.3 normal 1.1 pastels 0.1 spider 1.0 fire 1.0 lesser 1.0ringer 0.1RTB 1.0 Savannah monitor.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts
    75.00 is a reasonable price for a moderately sized BCI (not a "true" red-tail, mind you - that would be a BCC and they are generall a bit more expensive). You don't mention if this snake has any particular genetics behind it. Is it just a normal? Or is it a hypo or something special? Het for anything? Genetics will affect price. Also, how is it feeding? Where did this guy get it from - a reputable breeder or a petstore?

If this is a normal BCI with no particular genetics and was not originally purchased from a reputable breeder, I would think very seriously against breeding this animal. Normal boas are pretty much a dime a dozen. I can find normal babies on kingsnake and fauna for as little as 30.00. If that is all you want to produce and all you want to make on your endevors, knock yourself out I suppose. But if breeding is your goal, then I would consider getting a nice female directly from a good breeder with some genetics to make her an investment as well as a nice pet. You can get a jungle, hypo, or anery for around 140-200 depending on size. Invest just a little more and pick up an albino. Take a look on kingsnake and fauna - you'll be surprised at what you can find!

But to answer your question, boas take a bit longer to mature than balls. A female boa should be about 3-4 years old and, at minimum, about as big around as a 20oz bottle of soda.
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

Thanks
    I apreciate the info and advice. I would never want to breed unless it was to improve the species or develope a better morph. That's why I come to this site before I make a decision on reptiles.

0.3 normal 1.1 pastels 0.1 spider 1.0 fire 1.0 lesser 1.0ringer 0.1RTB 1.0 Savannah monitor.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts

Re: Good deal

Quote Originally Posted by milesp View Post
    I apreciate the info and advice. I would never want to breed unless it was to improve the species or develope a better morph. That's why I come to this site before I make a decision on reptiles.

~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?