Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,965

0 members and 2,965 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    I take it no one on this forum has anacondas?
    What do you guys think of the keeping of green anacondas, for pets?
    I guess I made this post because, at a local (and very crappy) pet store in Buffalo NY, I saw a green anaconda. It was probably about ten feet long, coiled in a comparatively tiny tank. They were offering the snake for under $200 to whoever would take it, because someone had dropped it off at their store, not wanting it. Yes, this was a young green anaconda; I saw it with my own two eyes.
    I never imagined that I'd see one of these things outside a zoo, let alone in a ghetto Buffalo pet store. I never went back there again, hence I have no idea what actually happened to the snake. My boyfriend went in there not long ago and said that it was gone.
    On one hand, I want to say, that I think that no layperson should be allowed to own such a huge snake as a pet. On the other hand, I think that if the government banned this type of snakes, it would not be a far cry to say that our smaller boas and pythons would be balled also someday. I just hope that people who keep green annies know what they are in for, and don't go dropping them off at smarmy pet shops!
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Banned
    Thanks

Milk snake

Awful pets. With the exception of burms, I'd never reccomend a giant snake such as a conda or retic. And burms are only for people who are serious.

I'm a strong supporter of keeping captive populations of large pythons under control. For the same reasons as the one you stated. People dump them.

Greens ae super vicous, and hard to keep...

If you'd like an anaconda, try a yellow Those sure are nice.

VP of Cool
    Thanks
    People should be more responsible of what they decide to get as a pet. They have no business buying one if they are going to dump it in the future!
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be ~ Lao Tzu

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    All of the giants are potentialy dangerous,even deadly,and there are just too many pythons and boas to choose from to justify having one as a PET. While I dont think they should be banned per say,just as we regulate the selling of potentialy harmful substances like alcohol and cigarets,these animals should not just be sold to whomever fancies having one. Its bad for the animals,its bad for many of the people buying the animals,and it is certainly bad for our hobby as it fuels the fires of fear and misconceptions that snakes are murderous creatures. If one wants to study and experience the behavure of large boids there are many that max out at 5-6 feet that are equaly impressive in there own right,and have all the attitude,personality, and intelligence a person could want (at least from what Ive read). I think most giant boids are bought for one main reason, the cool factor (I know we all think our snakes are cool,by cool factor I mean simply to impress other people). The worst reason to buy any animal.

Thanks
    Ive wanted a burmese for a while, but I know I am not ready for a giant. Thats why Im being responsible and have decided to wait. Build my experience up and maybe try one in a couple of years. I don't think I would ever go with an anaconda or retic, but a burm would sure be nice. They are beautiful.
    0.1 Regular Ball Python (Xibalba)
    1.0 American Pitbull Terrier (Gandhi)
    0.1 German Shepherd (Bailey)
    1.1 Mixed Rescue Cats (Horus and Manji)

"Walmart is the scum of this great country of ours and is spreading like an infection. Death To Walmart and every corporation like them..."

Thanks
    We have them. Anacondas do not make good "pet" snakes - they're more of a private science project for someone who is willing to meet their needs. Very sensitive animals that need a keeper willing to understand them.

K
    Kara L. Norris
    The Blood Cell - BloodPythons.com
    Selectively-bred bloods & short-tailed pythons
    Quality is our only filter.

I agree that the # of competent homes for these giant snakes and the # of giant snakes currently on the market are grossly unbalanced. Very few people can properly care for these animals yet there are people breeding them with regularity. It just doesn't make sense to me. I'll never own one of the giant snakes because they just aren't my thing.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    i'ma get me a burm some day.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    me too...im thinking about makin myself a cage for me to sleep in and giving the burm my room... :wink:

Thanks
    Okay, I'm slightly biased since we have a giant in our house (although right now she's not even as large as a full grown BP), but I wasn't thrilled about the idea of having one when Smulkin and I first discussed it. Right now, I'm of the mind that, like any pet, if you are willing and able to provide the proper care and environment for it, then why not have it? Personally, I would not keep an anaconda or a retic in my house, but if someone else wants one, and all the responsibility that goes along with it, then I'll not be one to criticize him or her.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast