Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,255

1 members and 3,254 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks

Re: what do you think of large snakes as pets?

Quote Originally Posted by rex322
    i would have no problem taking the test.
    But....there is no test. Most states require permits. In order to get the permits, a person must have documented proof of over so many hours (usually 500 hr.) of snake handling experience. I dont have 500 hrs to volunteer to get a large snake permit. The only way you can get that is to volunteer at a zoo, reptile shelter, or breeder. If the states were to say you must JUST take a test in order to own larger snakes and then get a permit, then I would support it 100%. That would definately cut down on the number of people who do not care for their animals properly. But to say you need a permit and a course to own ANY snake is kinda silly..IMO. What is next? Cats and dogs
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

Well, I am getting a burm in October. I did my research.. While my largest snake that I own is 6', I have hundreds, probably over a thousand hours experience handling burms up to around 10-12'. I purposely chose a male, as I do not want a 20' snake, but 10-15' I believe I can handle.

Of the large snakes, burms have the most docile of natures. I once was bitten by a burm because of a SFE on my part. The snake did not constrict my arm, but it did hold on. I am able to stay calm in situations like these, and I would always have someone with me when the snake is over 8'. When food is not involved, most burms act very much like a cooked spaghetti noodle. Your average boa is going to be much more strong with you during average handling.

As far as anacondas.. one of my co-workers owns a yellow which he tells me is quite tame. I have heard the same of several yellows. At work we have a 12' 70lb female. I have seen the keepers with her, and she is quite docile.

We also have a 22' 325lb green. She was wild caught. She dislikes being touched, and will move away when the keepers are working with her, but I have never witnessed her to strike, or show any sign of aggression. This is a HUGE, WILD, green anaconda we are speaking of. I also know of people with tame (as much as you can call a wild animal tame anyway) 'pet' green anacondas. For the right people, owning an anaconda can be an unparalleled experience.

After owning a burm for several years, I may consider buying an anaconda. I'll see when the time comes.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daniel1983
    But....there is no test. Most states require permits. In order to get the permits, a person must have documented proof of over so many hours (usually 500 hr.) of snake handling experience. I dont have 500 hrs to volunteer to get a large snake permit. The only way you can get that is to volunteer at a zoo, reptile shelter, or breeder. If the states were to say you must JUST take a test in order to own larger snakes and then get a permit, then I would support it 100%. That would definately cut down on the number of people who do not care for their animals properly. But to say you need a permit and a course to own ANY snake is kinda silly..IMO. What is next? Cats and dogs
    not really. dont forget that giant snakes arent the only abused and neglected snakes out there.
    ~Jason~

0.1 BCI-Adrian
    1.0 Burm-Homer
    1.0 Tiger Retic-Buster
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "If you give up before you try, then you never really wanted it in the first place."
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v708/BCImperator11/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks

This is just one of the many requirements in the State of Louisiana to possess certain animals.

"Any person requesting a permit to allow importation and/or private possession of constrictor snakes in excess of twelve (12) feet and/or venomous snakes shall demonstrate no less than one year of substantial, practical experience (to consist of no less than 1,000 hours) in the care, feeding, handling, and/or husbandry of the species for which the permit is sought, or other species within the same zoological order, which are substantially similar in size, characteristics, care, and nutritional requirements to the species for which the permit is sought."

If that rule were applied to ALL SNAKES instead of just 12'+ constrictors and venomous reptiles.....then I would not own ANY snakes. I don't know about you all, but I dont have a means or the time to get 1000 hrs. of snake handling experience. Also, no one on this site under 18 yrs. old would be able to have snakes, unless their parents were willing to get 1000 hrs. experience.

I know there are alot of abused animals in the world, but placing restrictions on owning reptiles that are not really dangerous is uncalled for. I would think thats some restrictions should be placed on the pet stores and such that sell the animals...not the people that own them. I know a pet store that I could send my 16 yr. old sister that knows nothing about the care of snakes into and she could walk out with a baby burm for $50. What kinda person would sell a snake to a person, not provide them any care info, and then just forget about the animal once it leaves the store? Those are the kinda people that should be restricted from selling ANY animals.

If this were a perfect world, everyone would research animals before they buy them and stores would not sell animals without knowing that a person can care for it.....but it is not a perfect world.
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

i dont mean anything as severe is that...im saying a different test for each snake...like size range...like thered be one test for snakes 1-5ft, 5-10ft, 10-15ft etc. i dont think that there should be any huge test or requirements for something like a ball python or a BCI, but for burms, condas, and retics there should be.
    ~Jason~

0.1 BCI-Adrian
    1.0 Burm-Homer
    1.0 Tiger Retic-Buster
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "If you give up before you try, then you never really wanted it in the first place."
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v708/BCImperator11/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234