Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,041

1 members and 3,040 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: BCI vs BCC

Thanks
    First off, let me say that I have the coolest wife in the world. We went into our local exotic pet store today and she held a Red Tailed Boa and has fallen in love with the idea of having one.

That being said, I need a refresher course.

Boa consrictor imperator vs Boa constrictor constrictor

What's the difference as far as temperment, color, size, etc...? What's the best route to take and why?

Thoughts, feelings, and opinions are being sought here so put your 2 cents in please.

Thanks in advance
    Chance Favors the Prepared Mind

http://www.four-feathers-photography.com

Thanks
    BCC=Better color, and bigger size (8'-10' or so). Husbandry requirements are more strict, and they are less forgiving of mistakes that pertain to their health. They are also significantly more expensive than BCI's.

BCI=Smaller adult snake (6'-8' or so), more forgiving of husbandry mistakes, less colorful as adults, cheaper price.

Temperament will depend on the individual snake.....my suggestion is get a baby.

I'm glad I started with a BCI.....she has an awesome "snakeonality", and is easy to care for.
    Randy

"I think it might be helpful for everyone to remember that the purpose of a forum like this is to EXCHANGE IDEAS, not dictate what is right or wrong or good or bad. If you disagree with what someone else is suggesting, you can say so without being argumentative or completely slamming the guy (or girl)." - Smynx

Thanks
    I just got my bci almost a month ago. He was about 16 inches when I got him, but I really think he has gained a few inches since then!
    He is a really easy to handle snake; not at all head-shy. He is very bold and inquisitive when handled. I feed him only one large mouse per week; switching to small rats soon.
    I have never owned a bcc, but I know that like Randy said, they do get much bigger than your average bci. I am not a large person, so I wanted to stick to something smaller (well, if you could call 8 feet smaller, hehe.)
    About the snake you handled... BCIs have more of an ovalish shape to the lighter parts of their backs; BCCs have a more "puckered" shape to these markings. Boa-constrictors.com is really helpful. here's their site on BCIs... http://www.boa-constrictors.com/com/com.html
    If you search their topic bar on the left, you cna find out about bccs and other boas. I hope I have helped!
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. It's been helplful. Now I just need to find one that needs a good home. Colorado Reptile Humane Society has some for adoption that I believe are just youngins'. I'm going to look into it.

Thanks again!
    Chance Favors the Prepared Mind

http://www.four-feathers-photography.com

Definitely go with a BCI. BCC are not good beginner boas. Some of the locales can get in upwards of 12-14 feet. I've also heard they can be more temperamental, opposed to BCIs which are like legless puppy dogs.

VP of Cool
    Thanks
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be ~ Lao Tzu

Thanks
    I was really surprised at how non-shy my bci is. I am used to my BPs; even my "boldest" one, Goblin, gets a bit worried if you put your hand near his head. But this little bci will boldly slither up to your hand and coil around it, tasting ya with his tongue all the while. And he has not even given a hint that he'd bite, except when you drop that f/t mouse in, wham!
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.