Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,362

2 members and 1,360 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

AP T8 Heating Question

I currently house 2 snakes inside of one of AP's T8 cages, a yearling ball python and a yearling jungle carpet python. I've supplied both of them with an 11" strip of flexwatt on the outer edges of each division of the cage for belly heat, which has provided a great hot spot, particularly for my ball python. However, with winter approaching (Wyoming is cruel!) I've delved into trying to find an effective way to change my heating setup, and was looking to perhaps get some advice. I believe a member here, Aaron (Serpent Merchant)? May run something similar to mine if he wouldn't mind chiming in.

My current thought process is to leave the flexxwatt strip on the right side of the divider to allow belly heat for my ball python, while removing the flexxwattt and mounting a 28 watt RHP on the left side of the divider to provide a heat gradient/basking area for my Jungle Carpet. This would allow me to give the basking spot that would allow my JCP to perch more, without having to invest in additional thermostats, etc.

So...my questions:

1) Will removing belly heat and opting for RHP only heat for my JCP be adequate for his needs?

2) Will the 28 watts be enough to provide any sense of heat?

3) Will I notice a change in ambient temperature in both sides of the cage by using the RHP, or only on the side of the divider where I mount the panel?

--Notes: I own an AP t8 cage. 4'x2'x1' which is divided in half. My ambient temperatures range from 65 in the winter to 85 in the summer (stupid Wyoming!)

Thanks in advance for the answers!

Thanks

Re: AP T8 Heating Question

I use a 40w RHP from Reptile Basics to heat the cool side of all my 4X2 enclosures and it works Great. It will not heat well past a divider the way the heat panel works is to actually heat the substrate and furniture in the enclosure which in turn heats the ambient air. I built my enclosures myself but lined them with Xpvc my room temps fluctuate from 65f to 80f and with the heat panels on a T-stat my ambient temps stay perfect. I would think with the divider you should be fine with a 28w RHP but I would give Rich at Reptile Basics a call he would be able to answer that for you and he does not mind doing so Hope this helps
    Robie
    Robie

2.0 Normal Ball Pythons Peek a Boo & Dezmond
    1.0 Black Pewter Ball Python Pepe Le Pewter
    0.1 Piebald Ball Python Slinky
    0.1 Siberian Husky Danadog
    2.5 Fancy Rat's Patch, Robin Hood, Lucky, Lucy, Bolt, Cinnamon, Patcheta
    1.1 Great Kiddo's
    0.1 Wonderful Wife
    1.0 Awesome Dad (me)

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    The 28 watt is perfect for each half of a T8. I use 40 watt RHP's for full T8's without a divider.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)