Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,653

2 members and 2,651 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks
    If you haven't seen them (as I hadn't), you might want to take a look at the Chet Gecko mystery series by Bruce Hale. Here's a review of one book in the series:
    School Library Journal
    Gr 3-6-Children will likely appreciate Hale's relentless punning in this anthropomorphized detective series featuring a Raymond Chandler/Woody Allen literary blend in a fourth-grader/gecko guise. Here, it seems that someone is stealing food from the school cafeteria and Chet Gecko is hot on the trail of the thief. Mrs. Bagoong, an iguana with cheeks "soft as AstroTurf," who serves mothloaf and cockroach quiche, will be put out of business if the culprit isn't caught. Natalie Attired is Chet's mockingbird assistant, and Erik Nidd plays the role of a tough sixth-grade tarantula. Metaphors and similes work overtime in this detective/lizard world and, while geared toward an eager juvenile audience, Farewell will leave adults aching from laughter at the jokes kids will miss and from groans for the gross ones youngsters will love. This latest "Chet Gecko" tale is not only fodder for budding criminologists and stand-up comedians but may also provide inspiration for future zoologists. Hale's drawings are serviceable but they don't give much visual punch to the sassy prose.-John Sigwald, Unger Memorial Library, Plainview, TX Copyright 2001 Cahners Business Information.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks

Note for parents

Sounds like summer reading for my 11 year old, who loves reading and says he really wants to be a zoologist or veterinarian when he grows up.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Smynx
    Sounds like summer reading for my 11 year old, who loves reading and says he really wants to be a zoologist or veterinarian when he grows up.
    Other good zoologly mystery books that he might like are the ones written by Jean Craighead George. A favorite of mine was the case of the missing cutthroats.
    -BallPython713 8)
    0.0.1 BP (Bernice)

Thanks
    Thanks. We actually own a copy of "My Side of the Mountain," so I'll have to pick up some of her other books.

Thanks
    Smynx, I figured my 11-year-old would like the series as well, which is why I thought to mention it here, knowing at least you and Judy had kids close to Jess' age. She also wants a career with animals but does not want to be a vet so she doesn't have to operate on the animals.

BP713, thanks for the tip on the other author. I'll have to check those out.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like some fun books, Marla...thanks for the tip! We'll definitely be looking for some good summer reading!

Smynx...I read "My Side of the Mountain" when I was a kid, and fell in love with it. A few years ago, we were browsing the bookstore and I found a hard-bound book with the entire trilogy in it. Trilogy???? (I says to meself!) Since when was there a sequel to this great story??? Well, it took her like 30 years to write more of Sam and Frightful, but I fully enjoyed the stroll down memory lane re-reading the first one and then savoring the sequels. (My daughter, Petra, loved them too!)

So...if you haven't discovered those new stories, I highly recommend them!
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Judy, I know I read "My Side of the Mountain" a long, long time ago. My 14 year old read it about 2 years ago. I can barely remember the story (damn I'm getting old), but I didn't know there were others. My interest is peaked now, so I'll have pick them up.

Thanks

Quick question about Bloods.

I'll have to see if I can spot any of those books next time I'm in my favorite bookstore. I don't remember ever seeing or hearing of any of Ms George's books before. Both my girls love to read, so I'm sure they'd devour them if the stories are enjoyable.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JLC
    Sounds like some fun books, Marla...thanks for the tip! We'll definitely be looking for some good summer reading!

Smynx...I read "My Side of the Mountain" when I was a kid, and fell in love with it. A few years ago, we were browsing the bookstore and I found a hard-bound book with the entire trilogy in it. Trilogy???? (I says to meself!) Since when was there a sequel to this great story??? Well, it took her like 30 years to write more of Sam and Frightful, but I fully enjoyed the stroll down memory lane re-reading the first one and then savoring the sequels. (My daughter, Petra, loved them too!)

So...if you haven't discovered those new stories, I highly recommend them!
    Yes there are 3 books in the series now all which I have read. The last one, Frightful's Mountain, is a continuation from the 2nd one in Frightful's 'bird's eye view' and my favorite. I had it signed by a major figure in the book (Jon Wood , a falconer) who was selling it at the local nature conservation center. These are some of my favorite books!!
    -BallPython713 8)
    0.0.1 BP (Bernice)