Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,103

0 members and 3,103 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    So the ongoing struggle continues to get a situation where the temp & humidity levels stay where i want them to. At this point, the warm side is right where i think Hissy likes it. It stays between 89 & 94 degrees. The humidity on the warm side, at least under the heating lamp, stays around 35 or 40%. On the other side of the tank though, the temp stays around the 76 degree mark & the humidity lingers in the 60% range. Would all of you snake enthusiasts say that this is going to be suitable for the little lady??

PS: I caught her takin a nice long drink today for the first time! That was great!!! She looked so damn cute! Damn me for not havin film in the camera!
    Life is like a game of poker. You can play each hand to the best of your ability but you are still going to run into a bad beat from time to time. What matters is how you handle it. Do you go on tilt or can you maintain your composure & rebuild your stack?

Thanks
    More humidity on the warm side would be good - do you have your water bowl over on the warm side? If you can't up the humidty on that side you might want to consider making your lil lady a humid hide.

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

VP of Cool
    Thanks
    Place a small water bowl on the hot side. Or what Smulkin said. Is that your Tank in the Avatar? If so is the screen top duct taped? That works wonders for me. I'm waiting till she out grows the tank before I get me self a large rubbermaid.
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be ~ Lao Tzu

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Yeah, that is my tank in the avatar. The duct tape thing did not work all that well for me but towels have seemed to work really nicely. Certainly though, had I known about how much easier a rubbermaid set up would have been, i would have absolutely gone that route instead. Just like you ice, i am gunna wait til my little angel outgrows the tank she has now before i move her to a rubbermaid set-up where the whole humidity thing should be easier.

Outside of the humidity on the warm side, is that temp range good??
    Life is like a game of poker. You can play each hand to the best of your ability but you are still going to run into a bad beat from time to time. What matters is how you handle it. Do you go on tilt or can you maintain your composure & rebuild your stack?

VP of Cool
    Thanks
    I would not let it go above 90. Try increasing the amount of substrate to see if that would help. Another idea is to see if you can keep the temp of the room at a constant.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    90-94 is ok on the warm side, but not any hotter. You should up the temps on the cool side a bit though. 80 is better.
    -- Judy

VP of Cool
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JLC
    90-94 is ok on the warm side, but not any hotter. You should up the temps on the cool side a bit though. 80 is better.
    Judy do you know the max temp that a BP can tolerate without getting burned?

Thanks
    FWIW, the BP Manual recommends a basking area of 90-95, so I'm fairly certain that 94 is entirely tolerable.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

VP of Cool
    Thanks
    Thank you Marla

Thanks
    You're welcome, Raj. Also, to the original question, if it's a large tank then I don't see a problem with the coolest part being 76 because that should indicate a wide selection of choices for thermoregulation. However, Judy's right that 80 or so is preferable, because a bp who spends too much time in too-cool temps (because of a favored hide, for example) is more susceptible to respiratory infections. I just switched which hide is on which side of Snyder's enclosure last night for that very reason, because she's started to prefer the cooler hide and was spending all her time in it. As soon as I put her back in, she went straight for that hide though it had moved to the warm side.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast